No supplements

muddybay

Visit site
My horse is on 1 scoop of hifi and 1/2 a scoop of nuts twice a day and I don't supplement him he's rising 7. I feel like all the other liveries use supplements but I don't do you think there's excessive supplement usage now?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Don't know if it's excessive, particularly, but I think some people expect miracles which are somewhat unrealistic.

Some supplements are proven/necessary to maintain horses with certain conditions but I think there's a lot of clever advertising. And also a minority of people who turn to supplements when it would be more appropriate to consult a vet.

muddybay

Visit site
Don't know if it's excessive, particularly, but I think some people expect miracles which are somewhat unrealistic.

Some supplements are proven/necessary to maintain horses with certain conditions but I think there's a lot of clever advertising. And also a minority of people who turn to supplements when it would be more appropriate to consult a vet.
I was just frustrated after I got told by one owner I should put my horse on calming supplements to stop him from being spooky

catkin

Visit site
I feed a vits and mins supplement to the ponies as it balances out deficiencies in our grazing. There are many places around which have a similar issue.
There are also medical conditions in horses which are managed through diet (for example PSSM or EMS)

So yes, specific supplements absolutely do have a place. However not all products are, shall we say, as effective - and each horse must be assessed individually for what is needed (and that's quite likely different for different horses)

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I was just frustrated after I got told by one owner I should put my horse on calming supplements to stop him from being spooky
Some people do see a huge difference with spookiness with supplementing mag ox (which is the main ingredient in most calmers). Most fields are mag ox deficient. But if your horse isn’t mag ox deficient then it can have the opposite effect!

I guess it depends on your grazing but I don’t think there’s any harm in supplementing with a general vit and min.

My pony has both of the above all year round and then nettle powder in spring summer for her pollen allergy and agnus castus for her seasons. Oh and cuppra twice a year. Sometime I do wonder if I just love supplements but I’ve tried and tested loads of things and these are what work and I see the difference (eg I wait until her pollen flares up just in case she magically cures herself and I don’t supplement unnecessarily) soon as I start adding the supplements again so I’m happy!

But if you’re happy your horse gets everything they need then just smile, thank for advice and walk away!

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I feed a balancer and some salt, I think these are fairly essential tbh. I've found a good balancer will help with spookiness anyway,. Most calming supplements are magnesium based and most horses aren't short of magnesium in their diet so they don't work.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I use a vitamin and mineral supplement, plus a salt lick for all my horses. If they are also on grass or some form of feed, I half the dose. If they were on full feed, they wouldn't need any supplementation, but I tend to give a token feed only, even to hard working horses. I have fund that even 'bad doers' become good doers when in a consistent routine and feel secure.

Squeak

Visit site
I use a vitamin and mineral supplement, plus a salt lick for all my horses. If they are also on grass or some form of feed, I half the dose. If they were on full feed, they wouldn't need any supplementation, but I tend to give a token feed only, even to hard working horses. I have fund that even 'bad doers' become good doers when in a consistent routine and feel secure.

I'm exactly the same as you Red, all of mine are on a vit and min supplement with salt licks available. I've also found that bad doers can become good doers in a consistent routine and with consistently good food, care and work but some definitely take longer than others to get there.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I'm exactly the same as you Red, all of mine are on a vit and min supplement with salt licks available. I've also found that bad doers can become good doers in a consistent routine and with consistently good food, care and work but some definitely take longer than others to get there.

The weirdest one was really skinny when he came, I evented him to BE Novice and sold him looking a bit, er, porky, if I'm honest. Then, after he was sold, they rang 6 months later to ask how I kept condition on.

I had him on a scoop of Spillars H&P nuts, with some chaff and a bit supplement. That was when in hard work, and I did get him over fit, loads of hacking and interval training. He ate up and was podgy, if anything. They had him on loads of feed, 3 X a day, he was refusing to eat up, and was skinny. Their care was excellent, he had a huge bed, rugs, competent riding, hacking etc.

Everything that comes here gets podgy and glossy. I feed practically nothing, ride and compete, and still skinny competition horses (when they come) fill out.

Except Rigsby. I bought a cob, who does practically no work, and he is on a strict diet for EMS and Lami, so is kept as a Ribsby. Poor ribby Rigsby!

Elno

Visit site
I never was much for supplements. Most of it is expensive bullshit anyway with very little scientific backup.

With that said...

Everytime I put my horse on a Forageplus balancer I noticed a massive difference in my horse's behaviour - to the better that is. It really baffled and honestly bugged me because for the longest time I couldn't wrap my head around it. As soon as I switched her on a different pelleted balancer (She doesn't really need bucket feed, so pellets over powder is preferred) she gradually over a few days became a bit of a stressy, spooky monster and not my chilled out, calm, bombproof horse I bought.

I started to suspect the miniscule amounts of alfalfa and molasses that was added to the pellets, but then realised that it at least definetely wasn't the alfalfa since she was put on a small amount of unmolassed alfalfapellets to add in some salt and Oestress in her feed, and also the fact that taken her off the balancer and only feeding forage didnt change anything at all.

Then I took a closer look at the minerals. Lo and behold.... The Forageplus balancer turns out has very high amounts of Mg. And our haylage has very high amounts of Ca. Calcium as we know, competes with Mg so she probably developed a relative shortage of Mg despite that it looked fine amount wise "on paper" with the pelleted balancer which has a lot less mg.

So basically I at least now believe Mg-based calmers and the likes to probably actually work, of course if there's a deficiency to begin with.

I also give NAF oestress (moody, hormonal teenager and spring coming) and salt (very cold out and want to encourage her drinking).

Lady2021

Visit site
My mare has a overy problem I give Oesress supplement and it works very well for her. So I don’t need to give strong medicine that is dangerous to handle.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I never was much for supplements. Most of it is expensive bullshit anyway with very little scientific backup.

With that said...

Everytime I put my horse on a Forageplus balancer I noticed a massive difference in my horse's behaviour - to the better that is. It really baffled and honestly bugged me because for the longest time I couldn't wrap my head around it. As soon as I switched her on a different pelleted balancer (She doesn't really need bucket feed, so pellets over powder is preferred) she gradually over a few days became a bit of a stressy, spooky monster and not my chilled out, calm, bombproof horse I bought.

I started to suspect the miniscule amounts of alfalfa and molasses that was added to the pellets, but then realised that it at least definetely wasn't the alfalfa since she was put on a small amount of unmolassed alfalfapellets to add in some salt and Oestress in her feed, and also the fact that taken her off the balancer and only feeding forage didnt change anything at all.

Then I took a closer look at the minerals. Lo and behold.... The Forageplus balancer turns out has very high amounts of Mg. And our haylage has very high amounts of Ca. Calcium as we know, competes with Mg so she probably developed a relative shortage of Mg despite that it looked fine amount wise "on paper" with the pelleted balancer which has a lot less mg.

So basically I at least now believe Mg-based calmers and the likes to probably actually work, of course if there's a deficiency to begin with.

I also give NAF oestress (moody, hormonal teenager and spring coming) and salt (very cold out and want to encourage her drinking).
That's very interesting, I've just bought some ForagePlus and will be switching once my Equimins is finished; but thinking about it. my horse's behaviour has been worse since being on Equimins (previously on Alltech Lifeforce but I can't get that any more). I wonder if I will see a difference on FP.

Elno

Visit site
That's very interesting, I've just bought some ForagePlus and will be switching once my Equimins is finished; but thinking about it. my horse's behaviour has been worse since being on Equimins (previously on Alltech Lifeforce but I can't get that any more). I wonder if I will see a difference on FP.

Of course it can also be the solar winds on Mars, you never know with horses really ???‍♀️ But its my best guess and the behaviour change has now been observed happening 3-4 times so I even soon dare to say it's empirically proven and statistically significant ?

Oh and I also did find her worse in her behaviour when I upped the dosage in the pelleted balancer I used from 80 to 120 g. Might possible have to do with it also containing calcium, which then aggrevated the deficiency of Mg ??‍♀️ Forageplus doesn't have any calcium added. Equimins does though. Unfortunatly I just bought 10 kgs of Equimins but now that my horse is finally her old self again I don't dare to change anything ?

skint1

Visit site
I am a sucker for a herbal supplement, I drive myself mad!
My mare had ulcers last year so she has Lincoln's Yea-Sacc 30 and Slippery Elm in the winter months. She also has Dodson and Horrell Stroppy Mare. She's not in work, apart from the odd bit of in-hand stuff in the school.

My gelding has the Lincoln's, and devil's claw as he is arthritic, he was retired for 2 years but has been doing so well I have started to plod about the school with him again recently.

ecb89

Visit site
Going onto magnesium and chamomile has worked wonders for my spooky horse. He’s still spooky but much less dramatic

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
The only time I ever feed any supplemental vits/mins is if there is a proven deficiency, determined by lab results. Which means not for 25 years plus (since I left an area with high molybdenum), except for a couple of starvation rescue cases. I seem not to have 99% of the problems that come up here, but that is my experience. I also don't waste my money.

SEL

Visit site
My PSSM one & the arthritic get a fair number thrown at them (desperation!) but the pony just gets a bit of beet when the others get fed. Sometimes a tummy supplement because the grass sets her off a bit. But I'm a founding member of supplementaholics so best ignored ?

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I feed probably too many supplements but they all have a purpose, and to be honest they don’t cost much and I enjoy making feeds. I have noticed a difference in Jacob from most which is why they have continued. He gets:

• Salt - every horse should be fed this I believe,
• Protexin Gut Balancer - short term as he can get grumpy/stressy around coat change time,
• Limestone Powder - high in calcium so good for bones and also alkaline so good for stomach acid,
• NAF Pro Hoof - as I have just taken his back shoes off
• Dried Cleavers - herbal lymphatic support (diuretic) as he is prone to lymphangitis
• Boswellia - joint health and anti inflammatory (looking into MSM to compliment this)
• Balancer - for vits and mins

Most would tell me that I am just paying for him to have expensive wee, but each to their own - I don’t mind. That’s not to say any supplements are necessary but a vits & mins can’t hurt.

Reactions: SEL

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Over supplementation can indeed hurt; I have several vet friends who tell me they have never lost a horse to a deficiency, but have done so because of inbalances and over supplementation by owners.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
Bog standard vitamins mix and a bit of linseed .....found that every horse prone to mud fever or skin condition gets a lot better....

Elno

Visit site
The only time I ever feed any supplemental vits/mins is if there is a proven deficiency, determined by lab results. Which means not for 25 years plus (since I left an area with high molybdenum), except for a couple of starvation rescue cases. I seem not to have 99% of the problems that come up here, but that is my experience. I also don't waste my money.

I completely agree with you, but I find it really difficult at times not to fall for the very, very clever marketing from supplements companies (sometimes I really do wonder how much money they pour in to marketing to twist our minds the way they do) even though I logically understand that at best the supplements will only produce expensive pee, as someone so eloquently put it.

I mean, I have studied chemistry and biochemistry at university level, have a degree in medicine and yet here I am buying ridiculously expensive liquid with some trace elements of some berry supposedly for my mares seasons ? Wow.... I feel even dumber and more gulliable reading it written out like that.

The only thing my horse actually truly need is selenium, because the soil is almost entirely lacking and horses here have been know to be deficient from time to time. That's it basically.

Maybe I should just whack myself over the head for being stupid and just go and buy a mineral lick with added selenium and stop spending a fortune on expensive water and powder.

Dexter

Visit site
Horses cannot access the minerals in licks so that wont work.

I also never understand why there needs to be a proven deficiency on a blood test for a horse to benefit from supplements. I take several supplements myself, as I have had proven deficiencies on blood tests. I dont wait till I get to that point again as by then I was very very unwell. I supplement to keep my levels optimum.

TheMule

Visit site
I also honestly think more people (including me ?) should listen to this when it comes to supplements:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3j...i=95BKqJalRrq3qpMp-Ctbcw&utm_source=copy-link

This is brilliant, thank you. Basically, if you horse has access to fresh grass for a decent amount of the day it is not going to be deficient in most things. Get you forage analysed/ soil tested and you can target anything that is below recommended levels. Otherwise, enjoy throwing your money away!

Elno

Visit site
Horses cannot access the minerals in licks so that wont work.

I also never understand why there needs to be a proven deficiency on a blood test for a horse to benefit from supplements. I take several supplements myself, as I have had proven deficiencies on blood tests. I dont wait till I get to that point again as by then I was very very unwell. I supplement to keep my levels optimum.

They can most certainly access them, but you obviously shouldn't rely solely on it if you really need to get a specific amount of something in them (like selenium) given that they have smooth tongues ? I would in that case supplement with more selenium on the side.

Elno

Visit site
This is brilliant, thank you. Basically, if you horse has access to fresh grass for a decent amount of the day it is not going to be deficient in most things. Get you forage analysed/ soil tested and you can target anything that is below recommended levels. Otherwise, enjoy throwing your money away!

Pretty much spot on, yes ?
And given that I actually have analysed forage and it is lacking in selenium (mostly) and to a lesser degree also phosphorus, copper and zink and have sky high amounts of calcium, manganese and Iron maybe I can get away with splurging on Forage +atleast without feeling silly ?
I should really ditch the Oestress though ?

Last edited:

PSD

Visit site

With that said...

Very interesting. When I think about it, mine has become very much full of herself since being on equimins but I’ve put it down to age and winter. She’s coming off it when the tub runs out as she’ll be out on grazing 24/7 so it’ll be interesting to see any changes. Although any changes could coincide with summer turnout too, I may leave her off it next winter and see if it changes her behaviour somewhat.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I'm the same, Elno. Should be informed enough to not fall for the marketing but still do. However I had forage analysed after my horses started showing signs of copper deficiency so I do supplement some minerals to balance the forage. Copper, zinc, magnesium and calcium. No selenium as my field has enough, so at least that stops me getting an off the shelf balancer!

I also give them salt and vitamin E, and the one that ties up gets Alcar. Plus (and this is where I might be going OTT) micosorb and yea-sacc and a course of milk thistle a couple of times a year. For digestive "support

I wish I could do no supplements at all but the copper issue means I have to give them something, then I end up piling a few other things in too. Everything I give them could easily be contained in one balancer I suppose so it's not like giving feed, a balancer and 5 other supplements for other things!

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
I've read all of this thread and I'm a little confused about feed these days! if my horse is on say calm and condition which is a 'complete feed' is it sensible to also add a balancer or could he do without? We didn't have balancers back when I last owned a horse and things have changed so much. I recently had to change balancer as couldn't get hold of the usual one and I'm pretty convinced he's not getting on well with it as he's gone super spooky (like he's playing that spot the Pokémon game in his field and only he can see them). Last time I saw him like this was when we tried alfalfa. So could we cut balancer out entirely and just have his c&c? Ideas/opinions please? (We're at livery with quite overgrazed fields as we have limited land) Thanks ?