No way can the pony have- that big a mouth!

Lintel

Visit site
Well- I'm out on a bit hunt, have decided on a hanging cheek snaffle! (finally!)
So I was measuring the ponyoh's (14.1hh Highland) bit. - it came up 6 inches.

So I did the *GASP" :eek: No way- I reckoned he would be 5 1/2 MAX!
So today- I measured his current bit and again it's 6 inches.
Now they both fit him perfectly- no rubs etc etc.

I cannot remember what I bought him when I bought the bits- but I do not remember buying 6 inch bits!?

Can this be right- has the fat highland got that big a gob!:eek::rolleyes:
What size are your guys and girls?;)

Ladyinred

Visit site
One of our Sec D's has a 6" bit. There's a lot more to it than simply having a big mouth, the conformation of the mouth plays a big part and also the way they hold the bit in their mouth.

Lintel

Visit site
DSC_2704.jpg

Goofy shot - but that's the boy's muzzle if that gives anyone ideas- I mean I cannot be a 6 inch:eek:

castleboy

Visit site
thats correct and normal for a highland mine takes a 6 inch bit, xfull browband, full size noseband and cob size cheek pieces nightmare when he needs a new bridle due to the multie sizing :eek:, also takes a 6.3/ 6.6 rug.several of my friends also have highlands and they are all similar in sizing with bits/rugs and bridles very usefull if anything needs to be borrowed or tried for size lol :)

kinnygirl1

Visit site
Hi ... Aw he is so cute. I love highlands! I have what we think is a connie and highland x (15hh) and he takes 5 3/4 in a neue schule.

Lintel

Visit site
thats correct and normal for a highland mine takes a 6 inch bit, xfull browband, full size noseband and cob size cheek pieces nightmare when he needs a new bridle due to the multie sizing :eek:, also takes a 6.3/ 6.6 rug.several of my friends also have highlands and they are all similar in sizing with bits/rugs and bridles very usefull if anything needs to be borrowed or tried for size lol :)

*Sigh* :rolleyes:
I join that club.
Also an X-Full browband- Nearly on the X Full noseband (with shorter holes punched in) And cob size cheeks!
We are only in 6ft rugs though- he is rather compact :p
-We have just got new bits of bridles :rolleyes::p

-Maybe he is a 6 inch, I am in denial !

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Chesnut mare - 4 3/4" 15.3hh
Grey - 4 1/2" 15hh
Chestnut gelding - 4 1/4" although he is still growing and will probably end up in the same size as the grey.

ETA. TB hasn't been missed out - she doesn't have a bit. ;)

Arizahn

Visit site
Chesnut mare - 4 3/4" 15.3hh
Grey - 4 1/2" 15hh
Chestnut gelding - 4 1/4" although he is still growing and will probably end up in the same size as the grey.

ETA. TB hasn't been missed out - she doesn't have a bit. ;)

Faracat, my grey mare has a 4 1/2" bit too! The resemblance is getting spooky! Cob bridle with full headband, by any chance?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Faracat, my grey mare has a 4 1/2" bit too! The resemblance is getting spooky! Cob bridle with full headband, by any chance?

He he! :cool: Yep, she's just outgrown her pony bridle with full size browband and upgraded to the cob/full combo. The pony/full combo has now been passed on to the two year old (lucky boy having 'big sister's' cast offs ;) ).

ETA. She has a pink leadrope, but no pink headcollar sadly. :( Poor thing.

Arizahn

Visit site
I'm beginning to think our two are related! Does your mare have a chestnut star on her forehead too?

Oh no - you must buy her a fluorescent pink head collar! And I must buy mine a pink lead rope...

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
She's actually changing colour again (bleddy thing can't decide on a 'look' and stick with it) and is growing many, many chestnut 'stars'... erm... fleabites and is actually in danger of going chestnut again in certain places (she was born chestnut and was totally white/grey at 2).

ETA. If I ever find a headcollar as pink as Hippo's one I will get it for Floss Boss. :)

Arizahn

Visit site
She's actually changing colour again (bleddy thing can't decide on a 'look' and stick with it) and is growing many, many chestnut 'stars'... erm... fleabites and is actually in danger of going chestnut again in certain places (she was born chestnut and was totally white/grey at 2).

ETA. If I ever find a headcollar as pink as Hippo's one I will get it for Floss Boss. :)

Dear heavens - that is Hippo down to a T!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Mine's in 51/2 (but can wear a 5) and wears a standard cob bridle - whether it be cheapy, mix and match or poncy JW type :p He's also a MW in saddles and fits standard "medium" sizes in most things...

It's fabulous after I could never get anything to fit J!

*smug*

Arizahn

Visit site
Mine's in 51/2 (but can wear a 5) and wears a standard cob bridle - whether it be cheapy, mix and match or poncy JW type :p He's also a MW in saddles and fits standard "medium" sizes in most things...

It's fabulous after I could never get anything to fit J!

*smug*

Mine's in a wide saddle:(

JFTDWS

Visit site
Mine's in a wide saddle:(

technically my VSD is wide, but my dressage and wh saddles are MW :p He's deceptive, he looks like he should be wide, but he's quite slender round his withers :eek: Your lass looks like she should be narrower than him though :eek:

shoo

Visit site
My boy is 14hh and he has a massive head , x-large bridle, 6" bit , but has such a short back that I have a 14" saddle :)

Arizahn

Visit site
technically my VSD is wide, but my dressage and wh saddles are MW :p He's deceptive, he looks like he should be wide, but he's quite slender round his withers :eek: Your lass looks like she should be narrower than him though :eek:

Incredibly well sprung ribcage:D Takes a 17" saddle length ways too, which I thought would be too long! Looks dainty but very practically proportioned overall. Thankfully for me!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Incredibly well sprung ribcage:D Takes a 17" saddle length ways too, which I thought would be too long! Looks dainty but very practically proportioned overall. Thankfully for me!

haha yes I couldn't get my backside into anything less than 17" :eek: I think my dr saddle's a 17 1/2 :eek: But it's quite deep so we get away with it :D