No whip for XC... Does anyone?

Leg_end

Visit site
I'm having a bit of a moment as my lad hates whips and I never ride or jump with one.. However I've never gone XC without one and I've not seen anyone else do it either so I'm wondering if I'm crazy contemplating it... So I'm looking for people who don't ride with one XC, and has it even hindered you?!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Well I rode my old event horse without a whip for 4 seasons up to and including at Novice level - only ever made 1 error XC and it was rider error, definitely not related to lack of whip!

I did used to wear spurs. In defence to the horse he was a VERY straight horse and would always maintain the line he was asked to be on. If the horse wasn't this straight or honest I would probably have been more keen to get them used to having a stick carried.

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
I don't carry a whip on Mally as giving her a smack will only result in a tantrum, however I do for XC. I'd feel naked without it, although I don't need to use it on Mally and even if I did it would probably make the problem worse!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I don't because I don't need to, any mistakes we have these days are definitely rider error :eek: He is pretty straightforward, and we don't really push the boundaries of our capabilities. When he was younger I did, especially in the not going into water phase :rolleyes:

Leg_end

Visit site
Fab, thanks. As I've always carried one I was having a real brain freeze over it! He's been super straight and genuine over everything we've popped so far. I'll try it at my first event and go from there!

Blitzen

Visit site
I never carry one, but I have complete confidence my mare will jump anything you point her at. She must have had a bad experience with whips at a previous home, as the only time I ever carried one she was totally distracted, and she showed that she is more than capable of leg yield in canter, as she threw a bit of a sideways wobbler away from the crop!

Bubblegum

Visit site
My horse hates them. With a passion:mad: is def a thing he had before he came to me and he was only 4 then.... :(
BUT... I really think XC requires a back up plan for safety if nothing else. After all, these jumps do not fall down easily, and I have used my whip XC, to effect, on my horse to keep us both jumping safely.
So I have found that the following helps...

Warm up without a whip, my horse is calm and focused. He has done a lot of XC by now and really loves it, so he is thinking about that, and not much else. Very bouncy horse.;) Helper hands me a short whip just as I enter the start box. My horse doesn't notice as it is done very carefully.
I have a whip in case it is needed.. horse is happy. (Only used it a couple of times).
Job done.:)

georgiegirl

Visit site
Agree with everything bubblegum has said. I would NEVER ride xc without a whip. You can get very short 'jumping bat' type whips which most horses will accept being carried - in fact with a lot of horses just the fact your carrying one will mean you will very rarely have to use it.

Also as above from a safety point of view there may be the time where you need to use it to get you both out of trouble.

I think the saying 'spare the rod and spoil the child' applies absolutely to horses.

tigers_eye

Visit site
My first proper horse also hated whips, don't think I ever carried a dressage whip with him. I didn't xc either, until I got to Advanced and my mother was having palpitations at the idea of me going round without one, so she bought me the shortest one she could find, and I more or less held it in the middle to reduce the amount it stuck out. Am quite sure I never touched him with it. However every other horse I've ridden I've carried a whip xc. I find it interesting the number of top level sj'ers that don't. Bubblegum is quite right.

kerilli

Visit site
I was in the 'always have a whip even if never use it' camp, but I always took Katy xc without, it was the very last thing she would ever need, plus she was straight as a die so wouldn't have needed it for straightness.
On a babyish wobbly one, or a mickey taker, I'd always want to carry a whip though.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I would normally have agreed with you Bubblegum, but knowing the horse I was sat on, there would have been no benefit or point in carrying a whip - any reaction to it would have distracted from the job at hand rather than focused him upon it. If anything carrying the whip (and the temptation to use it as a correction rather than using my legs!!) would have made the partnership less safe XC.

I carry one XC on both my horses at the moment, as both, on occasion, require it and neither is phobic of it. My first event horse had obviously had a bit of a run in with whips at some point, as he could not cope with being lunged (with or without a whip) and would run away from anyone carrying one. He never had a run out in his life, so I do feel he just didn't require one!

Bubblegum

Visit site
Very interesting.. and no offence taken to those that don't agree with me. All horses are different.
I have merely found a way that works for us, my horse can wimp out of certain situations, and that is scary! And I feel it keeps us safe. And I am happy to pass it on. :)
But I do accept that for some horses this would not work. My horse reacts very badly if I even present a whip to him for lunging, flatwork, normal jumping etc etc... so I do understand.:eek:

Leg_end

Visit site
Bubblegum, that was exactly why I've been pondering so much about it, I've always seen it as a bit of safety kit but I do think my horse would be worse off with it TBH. He's not has his debut yet but has been schooling and we never needed it. I think I'll be going without for the time being and evaluate as and when.

Bubblegum

Visit site
Bubblegum, that was exactly why I've been pondering so much about it, I've always seen it as a bit of safety kit but I do think my horse would be worse off with it TBH. He's not has his debut yet but has been schooling and we never needed it. I think I'll be going without for the time being and evaluate as and when.

Well I think you are very wise. Just evaluate every situation, and you have to use your own judgement.
Wait and see how he goes... and you will know if and when you need to carry/use a whip. My horse will never be bullied with a whip, but at the very last slpit second, it can back up a strong leg aid. And so it keeps us safe.
Hope this makes sense.
Good luck :)

Lyndsay

Visit site
I never carry a whip xc on one of my horses even at 2* level, carrying one just results in a bucking fit! Have tried carrying a short one and getting one passed to me at the last minute but he had none of it. He is a very bold and straight horse and I have never really been in a situation on him where I felt I could have been better off with a whip

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
Mally will not take a smack at any time other than on an XC course. She will throw a tantrum, as in shut her eyes, put her hooves in her ears and buck - we narrowly avoided going sideways over the arena fence the last time I schooled with a whip :eek:
However out XC, she will take a tap on the shoulder with no reaction and a smack behind the leg with the smallest of objections. I found last year that she would go very behind my leg at the start of the course (pure green wibbliness) and after a reminder, she realised what she was doing and didn't need it again.
She will always let me carry a whip and has no fear of them, but she just doesn't like being told off! :rolleyes:

lauraandjack

Visit site
Personally I think I prefer to have one, even on a horse that doesn't usually require it. But if you have a horse that really objects to a whip, then obviously it makes more sense to go without.

I didn't have a whip the first time I went XC with Jack, although admittedly this was a fairly tiddly (but quite spooky) novice hunter trial. Not exactly Badminton! We had a clear round with no wobbles. When I got him he was terrified of whips, but now we have established a lot of trust and he will let me carry one. I never use one schooling or for SJ, but do carry a hunting crop out hunting and a short bat whip for XC.

I have to say I have given him a couple of reminder slaps down the shoulder to get him to pick his feet up XC, (especially over the first few fences at Berriewood last year where he was more interested in the chippings at the base of the fences than the fences themselves) and quite like to have a whip in my outside hand when approaching a corner just to discourage any thoughts of running out.........

In the heat of the moment XC he is quite accepting of the odd reminder, but I think he'd have a dicky fit if I used a whip in the school.

hcm88

Visit site
I always carry one even if I don't normally use it very often. I find it's better to have it there than not - you don't have to use it but if a time arises where a tap on the bum is needed then you're better off safe than sorry. Mine isn't used on every outing but I can name a few times when it's been invaluable - the difference between 20 penalties and a clear.

TheDutchy

Visit site
I never ride my sensitive mare with whip and at lower level events went without but when moved up to xc with more questions i got the smallest jumping bat could find (mark todd) and stick it down side of boot halfway round when she went green couple of strides to water i grabbed it out tap tap job done and back in boot no issues worked really well if your used to whip in there and can be quick to get it out (ive had a habit of carrying whip down there for hacks for years :0) also no isse with being passed it as they never know u have it til needed :p

diggerbez

Visit site
Mally will not take a smack at any time other than on an XC course. She will throw a tantrum, as in shut her eyes, put her hooves in her ears and buck - we narrowly avoided going sideways over the arena fence the last time I schooled with a whip :eek:
However out XC, she will take a tap on the shoulder with no reaction and a smack behind the leg with the smallest of objections. I found last year that she would go very behind my leg at the start of the course (pure green wibbliness) and after a reminder, she realised what she was doing and didn't need it again.
She will always let me carry a whip and has no fear of them, but she just doesn't like being told off! :rolleyes:

pretty much this ^^
if i ride with a schooling whip and dare to touch V with it i get the mother of all tantrums, rearing, bucking, running off etc...and if i ride at home with a jumping whip and try to use it down his shoulder i get spinning and rearing and bucking...however at a show/event i can carry a little jumping bat...i would rather have one for the safety reasons bubblegum suggests and i only ever use it down the shoulder as a bit of a wake up call... i never used to xc school with one either but last year he got a bit cheeky and backwards and i had a few stops schooling as part of a lesson (very uncharacteristic) and so now i do and have not had any problems since....

TheMule

Visit site
I don't use one on my mare, using the whip when only get you in deeper trouble so I feel it's pointless to carry it with me. I'd carry one on something less picky, as a 'just in case'