No wonder Fany did not like the farrier! Vid.

MiCsarah

Visit site
Oh god thats awful, I watch a few of the other videos and there all put in those stocks with there legs tied up!!

only_me

Visit site
:eek:

The hoof of that horse is so incredibly strong - even using the power tools there was a bit of force required!
Our old farrier had a hoof rest made for when he was shoeing the heavies (as they all tend to sit on the leg he was working on!) to save his back - which I think was a good thing. Farriers are no use if they can't do their trade!

But using stocks and tying legs up - horse didn't seem too bothered at the end by it all, but still was an, um, interesting way of how other farriers shoe! But those hooves are MASSIVE :eek: I wouldn't like to hold them up!!

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
:eek:

The hoof of that horse is so incredibly strong - even using the power tools there was a bit of force required!
Our old farrier had a hoof rest made for when he was shoeing the heavies (as they all tend to sit on the leg he was working on!) to save his back - which I think was a good thing. Farriers are no use if they can't do their trade!

But using stocks and tying legs up - horse didn't seem too bothered at the end by it all, but still was an, um, interesting way of how other farriers shoe! But those hooves are MASSIVE :eek: I wouldn't like to hold them up!!

Our farrier uses a hoof rest for Fany as she leans, and she is heavy but I don't think an angle grinder is the way to go! She has extremely strong hooves, and if you notice the horse in that clip has slightly cow shaped hooves, Fany does too all Ardennes do!
FDC

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
The angle grinder was a bit of a shock :eek: but I can understand the stocks/crush arrangement, our enormous beasty (Westphalian cold blood) is always so grateful to the farrier for letting her lean on him :D He is less delighted with the arrangement and you can see him folding up under the weight.

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
The angle grinder was a bit of a shock :eek: but I can understand the stocks/crush arrangement, our enormous beasty (Westphalian cold blood) is always so grateful to the farrier for letting her lean on him :D He is less delighted with the arrangement and you can see him folding up under the weight.

Yes Fany allows him to hold her up, well until he prods her!

Did you see the van he came out of and did he look lame on his hind to anyone?
FDC

saddlesore

Visit site
Wow looks a bit odd! Have to say though feet were unbelievably bad at the start :mad: did look much better at the end so in this instance I think the end justifies the means!

dafthoss

Visit site
:eek: I'm slightly confused is he using this as an advert? it seems like it might be as it has his contact details on.

Can definatly see why fanny didnt like the farrier although the horse in the video didnt look that bothered by the whole expiereance. I cant remember the farrier having that much difficulty doing the shires that I used to work with, even the one on my old yard thats feet hadnt been done for ages didnt cause that much problems they just used a new rasp and left the apprentice there while they shod another one :p.

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
:eek: I'm slightly confused is he using this as an advert? it seems like it might be as it has his contact details on.

Can definatly see why fanny didnt like the farrier although the horse in the video didnt look that bothered by the whole expiereance. I cant remember the farrier having that much difficulty doing the shires that I used to work with, even the one on my old yard thats feet hadnt been done for ages didnt cause that much problems they just used a new rasp and left the apprentice there while they shod another one :p.

I think that is more down to their temperament than to what was done to him. I know Fany will tolerate almost anything, not that we do bad things to her but she had bad legs a couple of years ago and was as good as gold. In fact she is so stoic that we have to be very aware just in case she gets hurt and doesn't show it. They are all like that apparently.
FDC

Circe

Visit site
Lets put it like this,
I wouldn't let anyone do that to my horse. I'm not sure what I disliked more... the way the horse had its legs tied to the frame, or the powertools !

I'm surprised he fitted in the van.
must be a very good horse.
Kx

snopuma

Visit site
I don't think its a van that the horse is getting out of I think its a Sluis trailer you just can't see the hitch end!

jeeve

Visit site
Wow looks a bit odd! Have to say though feet were unbelievably bad at the start :mad: did look much better at the end so in this instance I think the end justifies the means!

I agree - his feet were appalling, (and tough) it did not look like a regular trim, more correction to something that had been neglected for sometime for whatever reason.

They were kind and gentle with the horse, and while I would prefer that power tools were not used, on any of my horses - because boy I would need to trust the person using them. It is actually quite a common practice in the USA to use power tools to trim.

It may be that the leg was tied, because you really cannot risk the horse kicking and the tool slipping, the horse was not unduly worried by it.

The feet were normal looking after the trim, and I bet the horse felt a lot better.

unbalanced

Visit site
I think I agree that the end justifies the means. After all, some people let dentists use power tools in their horses mouths and the majority of horses at my last yard (mine excluded) accepted that without sedation. However they did need a restraining gag on.
I suppose if it is introduced properly - slowly, carefully and sympathetically - the horse can accept most things as normal. The farrier certainly didn't seem to be causing pain to the horse in the video, rather helping it.

Irishdan

Visit site
You should see how they do it in Khazakstan!!

Could be wrong here but do barefoot trimmers not use power tools???

jeeve

Visit site
You should see how they do it in Khazakstan!!

Could be wrong here but do barefoot trimmers not use power tools???

In Australia they do not, but in the USA some do. Esp. as a lot of barefoot trimmers are women who started doing their own horses feet, and then do others by request. If you have trimmed your own horses feet you will know it is hard work, farriers make it look easy, esp. if hoof is dry rather than wet, wet feet are softer. So yes power tools are used. I still find it hard to get my head around it, that clip was the first time I have seen it done though.

Bryndu

Visit site
Did you see the van he came out of and did he look lame on his hind to anyone?
FDC[/QUOTE]

Blimey...one slip with the power tools and someones leg would have come off...equine or human!!!

I must say I was fascinated by it all...the hooves were obviously like concrete...when you saw them trying to cut the hoof with the tools our farriers use...I hated all the tying up...but with an angle grinder in your hands.....!

However...re the lame thing....I think the horse was not so much lame...in the true sense of the word..but actually struggling to walk as the feet were completely getting in the way...

Thank goodness the horse is now on the road to recovery....I must say the finished job looked good...
Bryndu:)

Vizslak

Visit site
This didnt exactly horrify me to be honest. Interesting video though.
Have you never watched a farrier put sliders on the hinds of a QH? Power tools galore there! That also fascinates me...more because the horses stand there and go to sleep with sparks flying and all that noise!

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Some really interesting replies, especially re international practice. Both mine are bare foot, Fany 'cos her feet are like the lad in the vid and Cappy 'cos he is basically retired, and my farrier has never used anything like that! That said, the horse was not bothered, but as I said earlier is that due to no discomfort or due to temperament?

FDC

Jesstickle

Visit site
Why would it cause more discomfort than using manual tools? I would have thought given the choices, angle grinder or lumping bits off with a chisel, the angle grinder was probably the lesser of two evils!

I have to say I found it interesting though. My horses have ok feet but that chap had real feet of iron!

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Why would it cause more discomfort than using manual tools? I would have thought given the choices, angle grinder or lumping bits off with a chisel, the angle grinder was probably the lesser of two evils!

I have to say I found it interesting though. My horses have ok feet but that chap had real feet of iron!

Not necessarily cause more discomfort but one slip and it could cause an awful lot more damage, God I hate to think what a slip would do to a horse's leg.

Fany has very strong hooves, again I think it is standard for the breed.

FDC

Sayra

Visit site
Can't watch video on phone so just guessing from the comments.

When I did my cattle foot trimming course we used an angle grinder tool for trimming cows feet. I prefer not too as I am more worried that a go too deep or something. The cows didn't seem bothered by it.

I've never seen it done to a horse but I didn't know if other people knew that it was a common practice in cattle...prob more to do with the number of animals done each trimming. Makes it easier for the farmer/hoof trimmer.

Jesstickle

Visit site
A slip would definitely not be good! I wonder how they go about getting the horse used to that as well. The noise wouldn't be too bad but I'm pretty sure mine wouldn't stand for their feet being tied up! I guess they would if they'd always done it but it just seems so alien to me.

Lucky you having a horse with feet like that. Just another thing the super amazing, super cute Fany has going for her :)

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
A slip would definitely not be good! I wonder how they go about getting the horse used to that as well. The noise wouldn't be too bad but I'm pretty sure mine wouldn't stand for their feet being tied up! I guess they would if they'd always done it but it just seems so alien to me.

Lucky you having a horse with feet like that. Just another thing the super amazing, super cute Fany has going for her :)

I don't think many would stand for it I know Cappy would probably pitch a fit when the angle grinder started up and then we'd have the first farrier in space! And he is very good to shoe. But I suppose if they were brought up with it it may be different, it is just the risk of accident that worries me.

Fany is a sweetheart but believe me she has her moments, when she doesn't want to do something there is absolutely no way she'll do it.
FDC