Nobody can tell me that ......

S_N

Visit site
...... horses do not know who their owners are and have a 'relationship' with them!!

Having been away from my ponies for 5 whole days (didn't much care for that), when we went to the yard to see them this pm, I was truely welcomed by B!! I didn't even call them! Mum walked around the corner of the barn to briefly check them and came back and then I walked round about 10mins later, after we'd made their feeds. B flung up her head and called really loudly and came galloping down the field - Hector in tow. Mum said that they hadn't done that the whole time I'd been away - infact for the last 3 days she'd had to go and fetch them!!! When we reached the gate B pushed her head at me for a hug - really gently though. Bless her cottons - I do so love my girlie!!! Hector just wanted to know where his dinner was - typical bloke!

JaneMBE

Visit site
laugh.gif
sweet!
I agree, they do know who mum is.
Harley & Phantom gallop up when I do field check, and Magic hears me and calls me then follows along the fence
laugh.gif

The others usually come up too, although a couple of them are just thinking 'food'!

Ludi-doodi

photobucket.com
They don't even have to see you to know its you! In the morning, when I get out of my car and shut the door Ludo neighs at me. He can't see me or my car from his stable or see me coming into the carpark, but he knows the sound of it
smile.gif
. I'm a terrible time keeper so its not as if I turn up at exactly the same time every day
crazy.gif

Irishcobs

Visit site
Bless her she must of missed you.
I think mine just think food, greedy cobs. They are always but the gate when I get there and whinney if I go in the feed room! but Gypsy tends to march promptly away if a headcoller is produced. If I'm just feeding they are let on to the yard, no headcollers.
Although I will have to see what they do tomorrow as I haven't been to see they for a couple of days, mums been doing then as I've been working late.

S_N

Visit site
Was very sweet, but as it was only marginally more exuberant than normal - they are normally at the gate, so no galloping needed - it wasn't until Mum said how awkward B had been that it sunk in that she is deffo MY horse - or is it that I am HER person? Either way, it's lovely!

S_N

Visit site
LOL - yes, she used to call me at the old place when she heard my car and she couldn't see it from stable or field and like you I am a crap time keeper!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
This theory was proved yesterday when little man escaped. He knows other people on the yard, and knows my dad, yet when my dad tried to catch him he ran off. I got out the land rover to catch him and he trotted straight up to me butter wouldnt melt!!
He also does this 'mutual grooming' thing he does with no-one else who handles him. And he hides behind me with his head resting on my shoulder when he's anxious.

riotgirl

Visit site
Aww, sometimes I think that I need a bit of time away from my girl so that we can appreciate each other more! Glad you got such a welcome back.

Gingernags

Visit site
One of the farms I was at when I only had Asti, one of the women always knew when I was on my way down the farm lane as Asti would start whinnying, 1 min later I'd pull up, but irregular times. So maybe they do get used to the sound of the car...

However, I went down one day in a courtesy car while mine was being serviced and she still knew it was me and started calling as I pulled into the yard, bless!!

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
Awww makes it all worthwhile doesn't it!
I love those "black beauty moments" where they come flying over the top of the hill galloping towards you neighing with joy that you've gone to see them!
grin.gif

Kate x

PaddyMonty

Visit site
I didn't think my horse gave a dam as long as he was fed and watered until the other night when wife commented that on the rare occasion I cant get to do him he becomes moody and irritable. Not his normal laid back self. Perhaps he does like me afterall.

jes_nibley

www.languedocgundogs.co.uk
Quote : "This theory was proved yesterday when little man escaped. He knows other people on the yard, and knows my dad, yet when my dad tried to catch him he ran off. I got out the land rover to catch him and he trotted straight up to me butter wouldnt melt!!
He also does this 'mutual grooming' thing he does with no-one else who handles him. And he hides behind me with his head resting on my shoulder when he's anxious. "

I know exactly what you mean, my boy knows the sound of my land rover over the other three that regularly visit the farm and whinny's as soon as he hears me. the mutual grooming thing - yep!, and also wont let anyone else calm him down if he's upset, which, granted, can be a bit difficult at times but my manager-come-OH understands that if i get a phone call i have to go - no questions asked.
he always mopes when i'm away (i've had one holiday and a few weekends in the last seven years) but it's great to return to a suddenly really excited pony!

filly190

Visit site
Horses create a very strong bond with their owners, you become their herd leader.

The statement about horses not knowing is rubbish, glad you are pulling it apart

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
couldn't agree more! Dan whinneys at me when I come in the yard but at no one else. Fleur and Flo will canter across the field to sarah but not to me unless in a good mood or I have food! ha ha! Both Fleur and Dan will generally follow me round the school if loose schooling and adjusting etc although never done join up etc!

Bruno and Rambo my housemates Yorkies can even distinguish her engine and whether its me or her coming in the house! They welcome home their mum very loudly
wink.gif

Most animals defiently know the difference between people and have obvious different levels of relationship between them.

Katie

KJJ

Visit site
Naww sweet!!

Jags apparently knows the sound of my car!!

People can be coming and going/milling around the yard and he'll stand in his box munching his hay or sleeping in the corner... the second I drive up apparently he starts pacing round his box and nodding his head over the door - "Mummies here"

BLESS!!
smile.gif