Noisy breathing in canter

scruffyponies

Visit site
Not at all worried about this horse, but interested in other people's experience, as not something I have come across before.

Solo is a Welsh x Hackney in his mid-teens. A terrible accident (RTA, shoulder trauma) aged 4 should have been the end of him, but we have carefully allowed him into work and miraculously he's now as sound as the next horse, if perhaps not as fit - he is carrying a bit of weight as he loves to eat nettles.

He really enjoys a gallop but sometimes when he's flat out he makes a snorting noise on each breath out. Sounds kind of like a whoopee cushion / pull start noise.
Is this what is referred to as a 'high blower'? Does anyone else have one?

I should add that nothing suggests any form of respiratory distress. His posture is normal and he's totally relaxed. He just sounds like someone trying to start a lawnmower! It goes away in a minute or two after he slows down he gets his breath back to normal.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
One of my horses does it at canter he sometimes and has a bit of a wheeze at walk but I think it's a nervous type thing he does, as it's not something he does all the time and I had a vet check him and his breathing is fine.

Polos

Visit site
My mare does the prft prft prft with every stride in canter. She’s always done it and I’ve had the vet out and she’s fine.

I find it’s a great indicator for identifying when she is tense in canter (the only pace she gets tense in) so it’s a useful reminder for when I need to get her to relax more haha

nikicb

www.facebook.com
My Welsh cross mare is like this as well. A friend with a Welshie mentioned that this is pretty common with the breed as they are quite 'thick' round their throat area. For that reason, I always have the throat lash particularly loose, but it never seems to be a problem in terms of energy levels etc. In fact I usually tire before my mare does!! x