Non-existant horse prices on the net!

metalmare

Visit site
Why do so many horse adverts on the net have no price? I'm trying to price up a Dales (not that I can afford one for a few years and it may well have changed by then) but surely the owners must have some idea what they want. Why do people withhold prices? Is it in case someone comes along and offers them a whopping lot more?

dieseldog

Visit site
I know the POA really annoys me, the first thing I do when I ring up is ask how much because then I know if it is worth continuing the conversation or not. I think people miss out as not all POA are as hideously expensive as you think they are going to be, but you are put of phoning them because of it.

Put the price on the advert!!!

metalmare

Visit site
It definately puts me off! I am thinking £2,000 to £2,500 for a Dales (youngish). But it would make life easier if they just put the price on.

Tufty

Visit site
I think the reason they do not put the price on is because other people on the yard or friends etc (especially nosey ones) will be able to look on the net and see how much they are selling the horse for - I suppose their view is it is not anyones business how much their horse is for sale for ! I personally would always put a price on but I have in the past been insulted by people who have no quarms about asking you how much did you pay for that horse - and then run off round the corner to the others on the yard and have a good old gossip - Its none of their business ! so I think that is why they do it, but I agree they obviously think it is too much money themselves to put a price on it !

Skhosu

Visit site
I dont put a price on anythingover 6K. This is talking ponies and mainly in the local paper. Otherwise, as stated, everyone and anyone knows what you're asking!
On a website, e.g horsemart I might put a price up.The only I problem I have with not putting aprice on is you get the complete plonkers!

metalmare

Visit site
But these Dales ponies would be a sensible price! It's not like they are going to be embarrassingly cheap nor stupidly expensive! Seeing as I sold my foal for about a 20th of what I would probably be paying for one of these Dales I don't see their problem! Oh well... will just have to keep guessing until the time comes to buy another
smile.gif

airedale

Visit site
sometimes - as in my case - the home is more important than the price

so I don't put the price up as I often want people to phone up and enquire. I'll then have a chat with them and tbh I'll drop the price 1k to get a good home in the long term

However if you put on a low price you can get just as many timewasters in the form of 'dreamers' when you are selling youngstock. People who think it would be 'nice' to have a baby horse and don't realise what's involved.

but as british breeding is in the doldrums it is also nice to get a price for the horse that covers the cost of actually producing it to say 2yrs old.

I've got one in the stable that I'll sell if the right home at the right price comes along - otherwise I'll keep him until he's 3.5 yrs old and then I'll get proper money for him (he is very good !!) as at that age people are prepared to pay almost double for the same horse because it's rideable.

I'd rather have him at home with me and happy and watch him growing up and find him the right, long term, loving caring person than sell him for silly money to an idiot.

Nope - don't have shedloads of cash - exact opposite tbh - but my animals' welfare is prime importance.

Hence the advert without a price.

However there are people who advertise without a price so that they can 'up the price' if someone with more money than sense phones up !!!

Tia

Visit site
I always put a price on my horses heads.......and on the advert! There is nothing more irritating that unpriced horses in my opinion, and I certainly would NEVER call about a horse which did not have a price tag.

metalmare

Visit site
But I'm not even looking at youngstock - I'm looking at midprice Dales ponies at 4 -6 years old on the Dales pony website and 8 out of ten are unpriced. I do see your point but there is no way these would go for silly money as they are all registered ponies and not a hugely abundant breed (I certainly don't see many my way).