Non horse related but can't stop crying !

hoxne8

Visit site
i can't stop crying about what happened today :(
i came home from school to find my 14 year old lab stuck in the middle of the pond, where it is about 15 ft deep.
He only had his nose above water and was sinking fast. he soon went under and i paniced had no idea what to do. So my step-dad jumped in the pond and swam out to find him. Couldn't see him and had to dive down and found him trying to swim upwards but not being strong enough. He dragged him out to the side where we dried him off. He is now currently wrapped up in blankets in his bed, not getting up and shaking because of the shock. We don't know if he is going to make it through the night,:(
So fingers crossed xxx

Arizahn

Visit site
All the best. Keep him warm, and contact your vet. Has he eaten/drank since? So sorry to hear this, fingers crossed for him.

alesea

Visit site
You need to call the vet and get him there fast.

I totally agree with this; at the very least he'll need antibiotics because it's likely that he'll have inhaled water which has the potential to cause all sorts of nasty respiratory problems.

Also, the vets will have ways of heating him in a controlled manner and be able to monitor him closely all night (and they can actually intervene if things start going wrong).

hoxne8

Visit site
We have called the vet and they said that because he is eating and drinking that there is nothing else we can do at the moment. thank you so much for your support it has been a hard day

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Ring your emergency vets and tell them what has happened and how he is now...

Fingers crossed he will be ok. Did he fall in?

Edited as cross posted.

Keep him warm and comfy and let him calm down. Eating and drinking is a good sign.

Arizahn

Visit site
We have called the vet and they said that because he is eating and drinking that there is nothing else we can do at the moment. thank you so much for your support it has been a hard day

Eating and drinking is a good sign. Stay in contact with your vet, and take him to be checked over ASAP.