Non horsey but would this offend you?

Kezzabell2

Visit site
The following makes me feel so uncomfortable but I don't know if I'm being overly sensitive or not?

I work on a team with all males, expect for me. They are all 15-25 yrs older than me too. The person I sit next to sits with his legs wide open. He will turn around to ask me questions quite often, as I am training him. And he doesn't close his legs, he is slouched back in his chair, legs spread and quite frankly I feel really really uncomfortable about it

The other guys don't do this and are also a lot more professional in there mannerisms

Would anyone feel sick by this?

Pilib

Visit site
It wouldn't bother me to honest, I'd probably just tell him to sit up and pay attention. But then I am quite direct and tend not to take any nonsense!

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Hahha maybe I am being over sensitive then. He annoys me in a lot of ways so maybe this wouldn't make me feel uncomfortable if he didn't do the other stuff too. Haha

Farma

Visit site
Body language experts would say this is a display of dominance so perhaps he has some issue with you having some authority over him?

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
It wouldn't bother me (I've worked in all male teams for years owing to my profession). I have had one particular team member who just really wound me up though, so I know what it is like when someone gets on your every nerve and you start to over-react to things.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Body language experts would say this is a display of dominance so perhaps he has some issue with you having some authority over him?

This totally makes sense! he has come from a senior role where he managed a lot of people and some times I feel like he talks to me like he thinks he's my boss!
I'm not anymore senior than him, however, I have been in the role for a lot longer, so I have to show him how to do everything!!

MasterBenedict

Visit site
I manage around 30 guys and the majority of them are at least 20 or 30 years older than me. I have PLENTY of issues with them but wouldn't have any issue with the way they prefer to sit! I find this very strange...

Kezzabell2

Visit site
It wouldn't bother me (I've worked in all male teams for years owing to my profession). I have had one particular team member who just really wound me up though, so I know what it is like when someone gets on your every nerve and you start to over-react to things.

its so weird because I usually get on better with guys, but not this one!!

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I manage around 30 guys and the majority of them are at least 20 or 30 years older than me. I have PLENTY of issues with them but wouldn't have any issue with the way they prefer to sit! I find this very strange...

its not that its preferred way to sit, its the way he turns to faces me like that, it make me feel really uncomfortable, which isn't away anyone else has made me feel at work! so now I think its probably everything added together that is making me feel this way

MasterBenedict

Visit site
its not that its preferred way to sit, its the way he turns to faces me like that, it make me feel really uncomfortable, which isn't away anyone else has made me feel at work! so now I think its probably everything added together that is making me feel this way

I think you're right, and thinking about it there are particular behaviours that in one person I wouldn't think about twice and in others it can have a rather repelling effect! I think I know what you mean and I'm guessing this is not the only thing that makes you feel uncomfortable around this person, it's just one of the things that adds up.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I think you're right, and thinking about it there are particular behaviours that in one person I wouldn't think about twice and in others it can have a rather repelling effect! I think I know what you mean and I'm guessing this is not the only thing that makes you feel uncomfortable around this person, it's just one of the things that adds up.

Agree- in theory I don't think it would bother me too much... However some people just have the ability to make me cringe and so they can do something which would gross me out whereas I may not even notice someone else doing the same thing.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I've experienced this, but the worst & also the most hilarious was when I was giving a young lad a b********g in work & he stuck his hand down his trusers & scratched his bits. Me & my boss nearly fell over!

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Agree- in theory I don't think it would bother me too much... However some people just have the ability to make me cringe and so they can do something which would gross me out whereas I may not even notice someone else doing the same thing.

Yeh I think you're right about some people being really cringey

Dave's Mam

Visit site

Nailled it.

maxapple

Visit site
I'm a secondary school teacher and this is a common boy thing! Nice to hear some don't grow out of it 😃

Moomin1

Visit site
The following makes me feel so uncomfortable but I don't know if I'm being overly sensitive or not?

I work on a team with all males, expect for me. They are all 15-25 yrs older than me too. The person I sit next to sits with his legs wide open. He will turn around to ask me questions quite often, as I am training him. And he doesn't close his legs, he is slouched back in his chair, legs spread and quite frankly I feel really really uncomfortable about it

The other guys don't do this and are also a lot more professional in there mannerisms

Would anyone feel sick by this?

Assuming he is wearing trousers, I really don't see the issue? Surely he hasn't got his twanger poking out of his trousers whilst speaking to you?

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Every time he turned round I'd be struggling not to look him up and down whilst thinking "you total bell end" with a look of disgust on my face. IME if someone creeps you out it's because they're being creepy, it's not necessarily what they do it's their mental attitude behind it. Good luck with the loser, I'm sure you're more professional than me :biggrin3:

Moomin1

Visit site
wouldnt bother me...id imagine that to sit legs together would crunch the nuggets. Bit like pushing your boobs to your chest....

Quite. Tbh, how many women go into work dressed inappropriately in a way which may be uncomfortable to men? I imagine many.