Non horsey oh and trekking

zandp

Visit site
OH announced last night that he wanted to go on a day trek with me this summer, no particular tie to any location, although he does want to see a beach if possible and we live in Somerset so SW - Devon/Cornwall/New Forest would probably be most practical.

He's walked before and done minimal amounts of trot but I would say novice.

Anyone got any suggestions for a nice day out ?

Wimbles

Visit site
I took my OH to the Cumbrian Heavy Horse centre and we had a wonderful ride on Clydesdales and Shires, they catered for us both brilliantly. I would definitely recommend!

He's also come to Field Farm in Mumby, Lincolnshire and hired one of their horses who was an absolute saint (Jerry) and spent the whole morning riding on the beach with me and my friends for my Birthday.

Annagain

Visit site
This reminds me of the time I took my OH. Ex-rugby playing big guy so it took me a while to find somewhere who could accommodate him. When we arrived I explained who we were and the guy said: "Oh yes I remember your phonecall". He then shouted "Jo, will you bring Skiver out please?" Out came this tiny girl dragging an 18hh Clydesdale who was heavy even by Clydesdale standards and who looked like he had as much appetite for life as a model does for chips.

Every time my OH used his legs on him, Skiver would turn his head round and stare at him then sigh deeply or grunt before trotting about 3 steps and stopping. The only way we could get him to trot was for me to trot behind him and nudge him on the backside with my foot. (not easy whne my pony was about 15 hh). My poor little pony was baffled by the whole thing. I don't blame him for not wanting to however, with my OH failing spectacularly to master rising trot!

We've never been again.

abbijay

Visit site
I would recommend Adventure Clydesdale in Devon for what you're after (run by the former partner at Cumbrian Heavy Horses).
My now-hubby and I started out trekking together with Tim (AC owner) up in Cumbria: I was a regular rider at home but hubby had a handful of lessons as a kid and we have been down to see Tim in Devon. He is really experienced at matching what you do to ensure mixed abilities can have fun and they won't put you in a ride with others if it won't work for everyone's enjoyment - they'd rather take you on your own.
He has horses to suit everyone from the steady and sensible who will put up with a lot from a novice to youngsters that are learning their job to horses that have done BD regionals!
It's not the cheapest 'pony trekking' experience but equally it's nothing like annagain's pony trekking disaster and definitely worth paying to know you will enjoy yourself!

Annagain

Visit site
It's not the cheapest 'pony trekking' experience but equally it's nothing like annagain's pony trekking disaster and definitely worth paying to know you will enjoy yourself!
I wouldn't quite call it a disaster. Good old Skiver was incredibly safe for a first timer. I think he was just used to walking everywhere but the guide was trying to give me a bit more fun as well so was trying to introduce a bit of trot. I found the whole thing hilarious. OH's pride was a bit dented which was a bonus ;)

Embo

Visit site
This reminds me of the time I took my OH. Ex-rugby playing big guy so it took me a while to find somewhere who could accommodate him. When we arrived I explained who we were and the guy said: "Oh yes I remember your phonecall". He then shouted "Jo, will you bring Skiver out please?" Out came this tiny girl dragging an 18hh Clydesdale who was heavy even by Clydesdale standards and who looked like he had as much appetite for life as a model does for chips.

Every time my OH used his legs on him, Skiver would turn his head round and stare at him then sigh deeply or grunt before trotting about 3 steps and stopping. The only way we could get him to trot was for me to trot behind him and nudge him on the backside with my foot. (not easy whne my pony was about 15 hh). My poor little pony was baffled by the whole thing. I don't blame him for not wanting to however, with my OH failing spectacularly to master rising trot!

We've never been again.

This whole thing made me giggle, but the bit about trotting really made me laugh!