Nooooo. They've ended Max's loan!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
They love him but are splitting up and selling up and can't keep him. That was a short 'permanent' loan. So I have a month to find him a new companion loan home. If I can't find one I am stuffed. I don't really have a plan B. Please let me know if anyone knows anyone looking. He's polite, easy and has no health or special care needs apart from not being rideable. So a young, uncomplicated pony who can go out with mares or gelding and lives in or out and neither drops not gains weight particularly alarmingly! Very pretty too.

hobo

Visit site
I probably missed the main story but why is he not rideable? He sounds sweet but if you can not keep him you probably know what plan B is. There are few places out there, I have someone's Dartmoor and he is the perfect companion but once they get in to the larger sizes I think it is harder to find a home. If he can be ridden in the future that maybe will help him find a place if he can not be ridden you may have to PTS there are worse things that can happen to a pony. Sorry hope you do find a home.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
He's 9. Hobo he has an SI injury. He had 2 hospital stays, a lengthy period turned away, professional rehab livery then a slow return to work last year. All seemed fine but he went from fine to rearing over backwards with very little warning. So he's been retired. He may well be rideable adter another lengthy rest but I wont risk it. Nor will I sell or give away because he'd be easy to sell on as a riding pony either by someone unscrupulous or someone who decides they know better and he's fine to ride. PTS is plan B but I cant bear to think about that for a young, contented pony. So plan B probably means keeping him myself on a different yard.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Although people seem to prefer really small companions I have a 14.2 and find it works well, I'd definitely choose to have another this size (sorry AE no vacancies at the mo! ) I have 2 horses that are a bit funny about small ponies whereas the 14.2 fits in perfectly ;)

Hope you can find him the new perfect home x

fankino04

Visit site
I really want a companion for my mare but until I can find some land to rent I can't afford one as would have to pay a second lot of livery fees, if plan B at a different yard means paying for livery services etc then maybe someone like me would want him as a companion and you only have to pay a small livery fee and they look after him for free...

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I really want a companion for my mare but until I can find some land to rent I can't afford one as would have to pay a second lot of livery fees, if plan B at a different yard means paying for livery services etc then maybe someone like me would want him as a companion and you only have to pay a small livery fee and they look after him for free...

Yes I'd certainly consider options like that. Xx

dorsetladette

Visit site
Can you ask about locally for grass livery. Maybe at a stud they often have room to squeeze another in with there youngstock or baron mares in large herds. If he turns out to be a good nanny/uncle type you may also have found him a home .

Just posting as ideas pop into my head.

Hollychops

Visit site
Thats such a shame. I have a 14.1 retiree and they are so much less hassle than a much smaller pony (I know, i tried it out!). Hope you find somewhere for him soon. If i hear of anyone i will let you know.

Charmer91

Visit site
He's 9. Hobo he has an SI injury. He had 2 hospital stays, a lengthy period turned away, professional rehab livery then a slow return to work last year. All seemed fine but he went from fine to rearing over backwards with very little warning. So he's been retired. He may well be rideable adter another lengthy rest but I wont risk it. Nor will I sell or give away because he'd be easy to sell on as a riding pony either by someone unscrupulous or someone who decides they know better and he's fine to ride. PTS is plan B but I cant bear to think about that for a young, contented pony. So plan B probably means keeping him myself on a different yard.
He sounds like a good candidate for a blood bank. I have a friend who unfortunately has had awful luck and has sent 2 horses to one due to kissing spine and another to unexplained intermittent lameness. Whilst we cannot go visit them she can see them from a far in a field where they live out in a huge herd so she feels happy that at least he is out living carefree whilst also helping other equines!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm sure he's too small for the blood bank, I checked it out for one of mine once and they had a size requirement well in excess of a 14.2 pony. They need to be able to take as much blood as possible at one time, ponies are too small.

AE if you are absolutely stuck I can help out for a few weeks as long as he's ok with spring grass.

Last edited:

Ceriann

Visit site
He might not be a bad candidate as a companion if he’s so easy. I have a 14.2 companion but she gets sweet itch (mild) and mites so can take up more time than I’d like. Best of luck with the search

Andrew657

Visit site
Whereabouts are you - just seen someone advertising for companion (second pony) on York Equestrian facebook pages.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
That explains why he is not rideable so it does sound like you need to keep him yourself or be very, very careful who has him as a companion.

Yes I will be making sure that whoever has him is legit! At least as far as that is possible. The last loan home was perfect but alas it was not to be.... But that is why he is on loan because if I had sold him to them they could possibly now be selling on. Much as his return is a real pain, it is better than not having control.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Can you ask about locally for grass livery. Maybe at a stud they often have room to squeeze another in with there youngstock or baron mares in large herds. If he turns out to be a good nanny/uncle type you may also have found him a home .

Just posting as ideas pop into my head.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Suechoccy

Visit site
My friend (Cambridgeshire - Papworth) has just had one of her two oldies euthanised yesterday. That leaves her with one retiree and two riding horses. The retiree can't be left on his own as he frets too much so she's wondering about taking on another retiree to keep him company while she and her husband take the two riding horses out. Might be suitable for you depending where you are based. She can drive and has use of a trailer too.

Winters100

Visit site
Is he your only horse? And is it a problem with finances? If you have another who is in a more expensive yard could you move them both to grass livery and afford it?