Normal unbooked access to livery yards when will it return ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
My friend's yard makes them book in to go and ride their horses (full livery). I've not put on any restrictions except to ask for non-liveries not to visit unless essential.
As to when they'll lifet restrictions, I imagine when then lockdown is lifted. When that is, is anyone's guess.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
No outsiders on my yard yet except farriers and vets unless specifically arranged with YO in advance. No outside instructors yet.

DirectorFury

Visit site
No outsiders on my yard yet except farriers and vets unless specifically arranged with YO in advance. No outside instructors yet.
We have this, plus telling YO when you’re planning to be there (full livery only), masks on at all times on the yard, and not being on the yard during turn out/bring in/morning jobs/evening jobs. I’m hopeful it’ll go back to normal by the end of the year.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
We have this, plus telling YO when you’re planning to be there (full livery only), masks on at all times on the yard, and not being on the yard during turn out/bring in/morning jobs/evening jobs. I’m hopeful it’ll go back to normal by the end of the year.
We've had to organise our times at yard too so no more than two there at one time and yard opening times shorter to allow staff to finish morning jobs.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Do you think some yards are enjoying the control though and pushing full liveries into a time box. ? I know they have staff to look after but being told when you can ride your horse is starting to wear thin. If I wanted to get home at stupid o clock I would have 3 and be on DIY. I do think some yard owners are starting to miss the reality. A couple of yards locked down for 5 + weeks first lock down a mass exodus occurred and one yard shut due to loss if liveries. So it's a fine balancing act
I really regret taking grub on now as I have 5 to consider. If I had one it would not cause me an issue but for multi horse owners I don't think yard owners are really considering the owners needs. Face it my yard could have 5 sets of folk demanding access once a day. Which is 5 visits I want to vist twice to exercise my horses which is still saving 3 visits a day but have now been told i can only do either mornings or afternoons. Looks like I will need to split my horses if it continues and have 2 or 3 at one yard and 2 at another.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Do you think some yards are enjoying the control though and pushing full liveries into a time box. ? I know they have staff to look after but being told when you can ride your horse is starting to wear thin. If I wanted to get home at stupid o clock I would have 3 and be on DIY. I do think some yard owners are starting to miss the reality. A couple of yards locked down for 5 + weeks first lock down a mass exodus occurred and one yard shut due to loss if liveries. So it's a fine balancing act
I really regret taking grub on now as I have 5 to consider. If I had one it would not cause me an issue but for multi horse owners I don't think yard owners are really considering the owners needs. Face it my yard could have 5 sets of folk demanding access once a day. Which is 5 visits I want to vist twice to exercise my horses which is still saving 3 visits a day but have now been told i can only do either mornings or afternoons. Looks like I will need to split my horses if it continues and have 2 or 3 at one yard and 2 at another.
Some YOs might be enjoying the control but that's what you get for having horses I'm afraid. Their yard, their rules. If you don't like it, move. Most YOs have this attitude, and despite you being a paying customer, there nothing you can do but vote with your feet.

Frumpoon

Visit site
I’m very lucky in that my yard has no rules as such

But this virus has made me a lot more selfish and I was pretty self absorbed to start with

I just want to do what I want to do and if that impacts a load of other people I don’t really care

DirectorFury

Visit site

This is absolutely not the case on the yard I’m on, the YO is just trying her best to keep everyone safe (inc her own family!) in a very very difficult situation. I’m sure she’d rather not have the mental load of making sure people get a fair amount of time on the yard, and I trust that any decisions she makes are made with everyones best interests at heart.
It does sometimes get me down - especially if my afternoons become free at short notice (meetings cancelled) and in ‘normal’ times I could go up the yard, but can’t now as I couldn’t give YO enough notice - but this is only temporary and we’re in exceptional circumstances.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

Your timing allowed should be per horse not per owner!

Bernster

Visit site
Hmm yes for multiple horses I’d assume you should get longer time slots. It’s very tricky trying to balance everyone’s needs especially over a longer period of time.

My previous yard, they were strict during lock down and still had a lot of restrictions when it ended. I suspect they are operating booked time slots now and I’m sure it would have started to bug me by now.

I didn’t move for that reason but I did find them unnecessarily controlling and restrictive and their Covid rules reflected that (although that didn’t bother me at the time). I’ve now gone completely the other way - no formal rules apart from be sensible. I wash my hands when I arrive and leave, use hand gel if I touch door handles etc, and socially distance. YO recognises how important it is for people to have their ‘horse time’.

Muddywellies

Visit site
All these yards with the super tight restrictions, are they all entirely indoors, and do people come into close contact with each other? Are people being made to wear masks outdoors in the fresh air? I'm a little mystified as to the reasoning behind these restrictions. My full livery yard is entirely outdoors and even when not in a pandemic, we have no reason to get that close to anyone. These restrictions seem to be way beyond government guidelines.

stormox

Visit site
I’m very lucky in that my yard has no rules as such

But this virus has made me a lot more selfish and I was pretty self absorbed to start with

I just want to do what I want to do and if that impacts a load of other people I don’t really care

What a horribly selfish attitude. Doing what you want to do is a privilege not a right.
There is a major pandemic and many many people have died.
How would you feel if someone got covid because YOU had carried it to them?

Widgeon

Visit site
I assume some of it will be related to how big the yards are - there are 10 horses on ours; some are YO's, then there is one full, one part, and three DIY liveries. The yard is an old farm so plenty of room and it's not exactly Picadilly Circus even on a Saturday moring. So we're just trusted to be sensible. But I can see that on a big, busy yard with all the stables full and dozens of people sharing a tack room, it could become a real headache for the manager. I assume they have to be able to "prove" a level of precautions just in case something did go around.

Frumpoon

Visit site
What a horribly selfish attitude. Doing what you want to do is a privilege not a right.
There is a major pandemic and many many people have died.
How would you feel if someone got covid because YOU had carried it to them?

Yes its selfish

I think I said that in my post

You can repeat it as many times as you like but I still don't care

9tails

Visit site
@Frumpoon have you been hacked? I regularly say that I don't want kids because I'm selfish, but I draw the line at spreading a deadly virus that can kill people. Please have a little think about what your rights are, although it's nearly 12 months since the start of the restrictions it's a small price to pay to save as many lives as possible. If I was in charge, there would have been a much tighter lockdown than the fluffy "if you can, do; if you can't, don't" lockdowns that we've seen.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
@Frumpoon have you been hacked?
Frumpoon has been posting similar since the start of the pandemic. She laid into a long term poster who was asking for advice over handling liveries who were not respecting her Covid guidelines early on.

Gingerwitch if I was on a yard with 5 horses I'd expect to be allocated a block of time 5x as long as an owner with 1 horse, after all you are doing them a favour by decreasing the potential number of liveries on site by 4!
This.

atropa

Visit site
We've been very lucky in that our yard has had no real changes. We are asked to socially distance, use hand sanitiser, only one person in feed/tack room at a time. Still allowed vets/farriers/instructors/other professionals for welfare purposes. Some people are choosing to wear masks.
We are a large yard of approximately 32 horses, our YO would struggle to block out time to suit everyone.

Gingerwitch if I was on a yard with 5 horses I'd expect to be allocated a block of time 5x as long as an owner with 1 horse, after all you are doing them a favour by decreasing the potential number of liveries on site by 4!

Frumpoon

Visit site
@Frumpoon have you been hacked? I regularly say that I don't want kids because I'm selfish, but I draw the line at spreading a deadly virus that can kill people. Please have a little think about what your rights are, although it's nearly 12 months since the start of the restrictions it's a small price to pay to save as many lives as possible. If I was in charge, there would have been a much tighter lockdown than the fluffy "if you can, do; if you can't, don't" lockdowns that we've seen.

No, not been hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.