Nose poking, snorting, coughing and subdued?

fuze

Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm wondering if anyone can drop me some ideas?

I brought my cob in last night, he seemed fine. I tacked him up, took him in the school, he seemed to object every time I took up a contact on the reins. He was pulling his head down, poking his nose out. He'd had a few days off due to weather, so I thought nothing of it. I asked for trot, the stretching and pulling continued. He started doing short, sharp snorts at various intervals, almost like he had dust or similar stuck up his nose. The same behaviour continued at canter, and throughout the schooling session - it didn't seem to let up. He's young, he'd had some time off, I didn't think too much about it. An off day. It disappeared after I dismounted and untacked. He was ridden without a noseband, so there was nothing to irritate.

This morning he seemed a bit quiet, but not enough to really cause concern. I took him out for a quiet hack. The behaviour from yesterday continued, with a few coughs thrown in aswell. The snorts seemed more frequent, and by the time we got home he was quite subdued. He was eating okay, maybe not quite as enthusiastic as usual. The snorting and coughing continued after untacking, and on the way to the field. It's occasional / every few minutes at worst, not constant.

Obviously I'll get a vet's opinion if it doesn't seem to be getting any better, but any ideas? It started suddenly, yesterday. He's 5 years old, he has soaked hay, in at night, out in the day. I've had him 18mths, never known him have any problems in the past, and it's very rare he's out of character. Any ideas? :confused:

hessy12

Visit site
My gelding has had a cough, but also a discharge from nose and is now on medication from vet. Best to get vet in, I really hope your boy gets better. Sorry can't be more help.

indie999

Visit site
My gelding has had a cough, but also a discharge from nose and is now on medication from vet. Best to get vet in, I really hope your boy gets better. Sorry can't be more help.

They can have off days and colds just like us. If it was me I would take temperature to see if infection etc running a cold etc and get the vet out(I am not one for getting a vet out but sounds like something bothering). It could be a seed up the nose etc and you are soaking the hay but if your gut instinct tells you something isnt right it probably isnt right.
Hopefully its something minor but I hope you got the vet to come and see for peace of mind. Take the temperature asap thats a starting point.

fuze

Visit site
Thanks for the replies :)

He seemed a lot happier this eve, going to see what he's like in the morning. I think it's the EHV hype that's got me paranoid :eek:

Marydoll

Visit site
Thanks for the replies :)

He seemed a lot happier this eve, going to see what he's like in the morning. I think it's the EHV hype that's got me paranoid :eek:

Sorry but its not hype and your not paranoid, its a justified reaction to a very nasty virus, we all need to be extra vigilant and careful

fuze

Visit site
Sorry but its not hype and your not paranoid, its a justified reaction to a very nasty virus, we all need to be extra vigilant and careful

Sorry, I didn't mean it like that! I know it's a nasty virus, just starting to make me worry more than usual :eek:

indie999

Visit site
Glad he seems better today, they do have off days but well worth investing in a thermometer as a spiked temp can help when they cant help us work out whats going on. You always need a thermometer just when you dont expect it! Always! keep in safe place to hand.

Rose Folly

Visit site
Hopefully it's nothing serious, but if it hasn't cleared up in 48 hours I think a visit from the vet would be money well spent, just in case it's the start of something more serious - EHV as people have said, or RAO (COPD that was). I speak from experience. I nearly lost my mare through belittling early RAO signs for too many days.

fuze

Visit site
He seemed a lot better yesterday, much more himself and the snorting seems to have pretty much gone - going to keep an eye on him and call the vet out if it starts up again.

Thanks! :)

fuze

Visit site
4 days on, he's back to his normal self, but it seems to have turned to more of a cough? On turning him out this morning he stood and coughed 5 or 6 times on the way to the field - which is unlike him. He's also doing the odd one while ridden, but the snorting seems to have let up.

I'm going to give my vet a ring and see what they say. He's on shavings and soaked hay, so I'm thinking dust shouldn't be a problem. He's had dusty hay in the past and just hoovered his way through it anyway, no coughing from it.

I nearly lost my mare through belittling early RAO signs for too many days.

Out of interest, Rose, what where the signs if you don't mine me asking?

Rose Folly

Visit site
Hi Fuze. My mare's symptoms included:

Being quieter than usual (she's usually very chipper)

Occasional coughs when riding

Regular single coughs when eating hay in the yard - less so grazing (she's out 24/7)

Extended (flared nostrils)

Trotting or cantering exhausted her (I'm a happy hacker only). She virtually asked to stop

An occasional heave line (if you haven't seen one I can best describe it as a horizontal 'tuck' running along your horse's sides below the ribs. Often a sign that something is wrong with the breathing)

Slight white discharge, but not all the time

Visible side-heaving as she got worse.

This all sounds very gloomy, but your horse could well have something (hopefully nothing) entirely different. Why I'm keen that you get the vet in is that my poor girl nearly popped her clogs one night because I DIDN'T take her condition seriously enough, thinking it was just a dust cough which would go, and it was only thanks to a brilliant vet who was the out-of-hours vet from another practice that she was saved. I had to buy her a respiratory mask (about £300) and the drugs to go with it (same as for human asthma sufferers I believe). I'm glad to say I've only had to use it twice in the intervening 3 years, when someone inadvertently fed her hay.

She can't cope with hay at all, whether soaked, steamed, you name it, but does absolutely brilliantly on normal unsoaked haylage.

Anyway hope in your fhorse's case it will turn out very well. Do PM me if you want any support!!

fuze

Visit site
Thanks for that, Rose :) We haven't got heaving, lines or exhaustion, but I'm seeing similarities with the rest. I'll have a chat with my vet first, but I might take you up on that offer - thank you!

In fairness this is the first winter I've had him stabled, but as he's on a fairly dust-free management and it's an outdoor, well ventilated stable, I didn't think it would be an issue... oh the joys of horses! :rolleyes: