noseband needed?

noodle_

Visit site
My rather freshly backed rising four year old has been always worked/ridden in a noseband and snaffle.

Over the past few weeks she has been messing about with the bit (tongue ), resisting majorly and just being a bit of an idiot...which as a baby is perfectly fine...! but i wanted to make sure it was just babyish and not something bugging her.

So whipped off the noseband and changed her bit into a metal full cheek snaffle rather than the current rubber one...the difference is amazing...she is 100% happy, carries herself better, more forward and willing - and i have breaks.
I think its more the bit than the noseband but my question is this; does she NEED a nose band a; in general and b; for dressage?? (intro/prelim for this year)

more control with a nose band? May seem like a novice question - probably is.... but if i dont ask opinions i will go through horses being ignorant :)

Stupid question but Ive always had horses with nose bands on... and if its just the bit shes happy with and I need to reintroduce a noseband - can anyone reccomend a decent bridle/make/type of nose band as the little monkey could do with a new bridle as shes on hand me downs !!

thanks in advance

dogatemysalad

Visit site
No, you don't need a noseband. I'd ridden my lad with a noseband for years and then took it off because he had a rash. Immediately he was so much happier, I wondered why I hadn't realised long before. It's less to clean too. :)

be positive

Visit site
It may well be the bit change and that she is now happier with metal rather than a thicker rubber bit, rubber may be seen as mild but the bulkiness can be uncomfortable for many horses as they cannot close their mouths fully.
As for the noseband it will be fine to go without for now but you have to use one if competing in dressage, BD rules state that one must be used.

POLLDARK

Visit site
There is no need to have a noseband (cavesson type) tightly fitted for dressage you can just as easily have it loose so it will not bother your horse. The horse I ride for Dressage has a loosely fitted cavesson as , really, he does not need a noseband at all but it is a requirement for dressage.

noodle_

Visit site
thanks all - whats a micklem bridle?

i have ridden for years since i was a kid - and always been very basic with tack... snaffles and saddles! what will that do? :)

noodle_

Visit site
thanks all

will have alook at those

im happy minus nose band at the moment and reintroduce one slowly - i do think it could be the bit but i will see how she goes :)