nosebands

maddielove

Visit site
i am presently using a flash noseband but the flash strap is sligtly too big so has little effect.
i am plannig on buying a new bridle but was wondering about nosebands. maddie contantly opens her mouth and sticks her bottom jaw to the side when i attempt to get her onto the bit.
so i was wondering would i be better of with a grackle/mexican noseband instead of a flash noseband?
help greatly appreciated because i am very tired of a horse who keeps getting away with her antics xx

maddielove

Visit site
her teeth we're done in may..but were in a really bad way last year.
hopefully i've found something that will help my horse to work herself a bit better now she wont be avoiding contact, thanks!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
If you plan to do any dressage, get a crank noseband with a flash as they are dressage legal and in my opinion as effective as a grackle/mexican.

pocket

Visit site
Flash nose bands are good if they fit the horse. Ralph always got his tongue over the bit as a baby, but as soon as I put the flash on, this problem stopped. I would try putting some more holes in the one that you have and see how that goes, you might find that if it fits better it will work and save you some money
wink.gif

flyingfeet

Visit site
Personally I would go with a grackle

This will eliminate any jaw crossing and you can put this only relatively loosely to be effective

However the suggestion of using a crank for jaw crossing annoys me, but then so do dressage people! Doing a noseband up so tight you cannot put you finger in cannot be comfortable for the horse.

Cranks only became popular for this very purpose and are essentially used to clamp the horses mouth shut with mechanical advantage... nice!
confused.gif