Not amused....

Tinkerbee

Visit site
Went for a ride along the bridleway on the moors today.
Happily walking along when in the distance we see some dirtbikers flying at us. wave and shout to slow down, but oh no. lets zoom staright past the riders with young children and ponies. was not amused. very dangerous.
mad.gif
mad.gif

Penguinboots

Visit site
I have the same probelm with dirtbikers in my area...I hate it! I don't mind if they're curtious, but a lot of the time they just zoom past. What are the rules with dirtbikers on bridle ways...surely it's illegal?
mad.gif

truffles

Visit site
God how horrible! Could've been a nasty accident!

If they do it again, conk them on the head as they go past.
smirk.gif

wink.gif
x

GTs

Visit site
I think riders can do more to solve the problems by exposing their horses to more. My carriage horse had a fire engine go past us yesterday full sirens, lights, horn, etc, we had a guy who thought it was funny too blow his horn next to us, we got cut up by a street bike, had a custom motorcycle that was really loud revving up next to us at the stop light - or we also had a group of girls show us there boobies!!

Yes not every horse is going to be this good, but do not complain about others if you are not doing your part!

watcherathome

Visit site
That would be the Police...
but you are wasting your time in respect of this incident unless you can identify them.

If enough complaints are made then they may, in partnership with the local council look in to more regular patrols of a physical barrier.

First you need to sure you were on a bridleway and not some other kind of byway

This is the kind of scenario that BHS bridleways reps live for
cool.gif
so maybe try your local country committee

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
If the motor cyclists where on a Public Footpath, Bridleway or Restricted Byeway then they should not have been there. They are riding illegally.

If the motor cyclists where on a Byeway Open to all Traffic (BOAT) or a Route used as a public path (RUPP) then they should have been driving responsibly and given way to walkers, cyclists horse riders of carridge drivers.

If the motor cyclists did not display a number plate or had a valid insurance then they where driving illegally as a public right of way is treated as a public highway as regards number plates, insurance, MOT and driving licences.

You can report them both to the Police and the access department of the local County Council. If they are caught the police will give them a warning. On a second offence their motorbikes will be taken away and crushed.

If you are unable to get the registration numbers then record the colour of the bikes and their helmets as they may be found on the roads when going to or coming back from this bridleway.

pottamus

Visit site
PeterNatt...that is useful information but I have to disagree through personal experience. The police have told me on more than one occasion that unless I have a full registration number they can do nothing about it! On one occasion I had an incident with someone I knew who was purposefully speeding up and revving past my horse...my horse just ignores this but on one occasions he spooked into a hedge. I reported this to the police and because I knew the person I gave them the persons name, address and vehicle reg number too! On that occasion they told me that they could 'have a word with him' but could do nothing further because it would be his word against mine...apparently I needed witnesses, which I did not have!!! So I am afraid that you cannot win.
With trial bikers on bridleways, yes it is illegal, yes you can report it but again you need full reg details and the only ones that I have ever seen have been too covered in mud to read anything!!!

Penguinboots

Visit site
I remember watching a House buying programme a while back, and the husband was really into trial biking...when looking at one of the houses I remember the presenter saying something along the lines of "there are plenty of bridleways nearby for your trial biking"...I couldnt beieve it! I was furious!!
mad.gif
mad.gif