Not breeding from Midget anymore!

GinaB

Visit site
'Yay!' I hear you cry CALA
grin.gif

Ok, so I have come to the decision not to breed from the Midget. I can't afford to get the necessary testing done (few problems with car etc is taking up my money) and as good a dog she is and no matter how many people want her pups, I refuse to breed her when she does not have all hip/elbow/eyes done.

So, bit gutted as she has very good breeding, cracking working dog, fantastic temperament and a good example of the working breed (although I was going to breed her to a more 'old fashioned' lab to start achieving what I want my labs to be like.

Such is life!
grin.gif

CAYLA

Visit site
You still have time...how old is she?, and missus, I know you where of the responsible kind and I would rather hear of people like u breeding than the numpty BSB's
tongue.gif

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
O hen I am sure you will hate that!!!!

Gina, sure you will have time to save up!
But if you feel its the best choice (as it sounds like ud be a very responsible breeder) then stick to it!

Ravenwood

Visit site
How much is it in Ireland to have hip/elbows and eyes tested?

The sale of just two pups would cover your stud fee and the tests?

Not that I am encouraging you of course - you irresponsible breeder
tongue.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Sometimes in Sweden if you get a few together that all go at the same time, you can get a discount? Also though it is important who does the test (there's those better at doing the sedating and those less good at it), but it could be worth phoning around checking the price.

As the others have said, is she that old that it's this year or not at all? I've always said that if responsible breeders doesn't breed, then the Backyard breeders will sell more puppies and I want as little backyard breeding as possible. You have a good dog (in many more ways than one), you have a plan to improve with your breeding, you think about the costs involved and you seem to know enough to be able to offer support etc. On other hand, she might not pass all the tests, but if she did...

MurphysMinder

Visit site
If you can find a vet who sedates rather than GA for hips and elbows it should be quite a bit cheaper. In the end it is your decision but if your bitch is still young I wouldn't totally discount breeding from her, give it a year or so to see how you feel. She does sound like the sort of bitch that would produce good, sound puppies and you have obviously given the matter a lot of thought..
Have to say I am thinking hard about breeding from Evie (she has her hips done in a couple of weeks so that could of course be the decider
frown.gif
). After hearing some of Cala's tales, and also from looking at the GSD rescue sites I 'm in 2 minds, yet I have people wanting pups in the future from me who have older dogs now. My current thinking if her hips are okay, is to maybe just have one litter from her when she is about 4, when I will be in a position to keep another bitch, which would be my main reason for a litter. Ho hum decisions, decisions.