Not eating hay

BrandySnap46

Visit site
Has anyone had any experience of their horse eating their hard food but not interested in their hay? Horse is previously an extremely good doer but is now looking quite poor. He's been in for 3 weeks due to the state on ground and has lost the weight in the last fortnight. He seems happy enough, no obvious signs of pain or discomfort. Any ideas? Thanks.

BrandySnap46

Visit site
The dentist is coming tomorrow afternoon, I removed a large amount of plaque from his lower canine this morning on the dentists advice. The gum around the tooth was bleeding and inflamed so I removed it and cleaned around it. Do you think he would eat hard food but not hay if there is a dental issue? Sorry for my ignorance I've never experienced him not eating before and I am quite worried. Thanks for your reply.

BrandySnap46

Visit site
No change in hay supplier, my other two are eating it and I have been replacing his hay everyday with fresh from a different bale as I use small bales

TJ&Ozzie

Visit site
Sounds daft but try giving him the hay on the floor so he doesn't have to pull it out of a net, he may have a tooth ache and putting pressure as he pulls it out of the net may be un comfortable. Where as just nibbling feed out of a bucket might be fine.

BrandySnap46

Visit site
Not daft at all he does pull it out of the rack and eat it off the floor normally lol. He's a bit special lol. But i'll try that in the morning, anythings worth a try at the moment :(

LaurenBay

Visit site
Mine was the same. She took a dislike to a few of the bales. Wetting it helped. But in the end I had to get different hay. Could it be that your Horse is a little stressed, due to no turnout?

BrandySnap46

Visit site
He could well be, as he's been out 24/7 for two years. He does have company, he doesn't seem stressed in the stable or when he's turned out while I muck out. Also he's been in just over three weeks, which is a long time for him not to get over it? If u know what i mean? Sorry not explained very well. I'm on my phone lol

mini-eventer

Visit site
Mine is a bit like this at the min.

I was worried he was ill but he seams perky in himself. Teeth and everything are checked and fine.

Turns out for some reason he doesnt like some of the bales I have. I am using the same batch I bought in october and he has munched through the rest fine. Other horses are happy to eat his reject hay. The hay looks and smells as nice as all the rest but even if thats all he has over night he wont touch it.

I have found some differant hay that he will eat. He is also happy to tuck into a pile of hayledge so it might be worth you buying a small bale of that just to try.

Good luck x

dalidaydream

Visit site
Mine does it every winter and I've had the vet to check him several times only to find nothing wrong. I think he just gets fed up with hay and can't wait for spring.

McNally

Visit site
I know this sounds weird....but i get this problem with mine in fact all four suddenly stopped eating hay a few weeks ago completely It was from the same place. Someone told me to chew some!! which i did and it was foul really bitter whereas if i chew the stuff i hve now (had to compare!) it tastes like hay smells!
Apparently it was higher in nitrogen or something? could just have been cut in a different area or anything. Try some different hay for a night or two?

BrandySnap46

Visit site
Thanks for all tour suggestions i'm going to try them all. I'm at my wits end tonight he pulled all his hay onto the floor but didnt eat any and left some of his hard food. To top it all off the dentist cancelled his appointment :(

rockysmum

Visit site
Buy a bag of fast fibre. You can use it as a total replacement for hay if necessary.

I'm using it for my oldie, he just cant always be bothered to eat a lot of hay, prefers a nap instead.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
when my mare when she was younger went hunting, for days and days later she would not eat any hay , i spoke to dodson and horrell who said use fibergy as a hay re placer i did she loved it still does and now back on hay again .