Not Ellen looming, but Jorge...

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
So named as the Spanish meterological service got first dibs on naming this latest storm. The Met Office and Met Éireann, who work together along with the Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute, decided to keep the name to avoid confusion. Much of the UK could be affected by Storm Jorge this weekend.

Pronounced Hor Hay (ish).

What joy. Stay safe, everyone, who is affected by the prolonged period of disruptive weather.

catkin

Visit site
It has been lovely here too.. I know this is going to sound silly but how are these storms hitting with such regularity so as to ruin every weekend for the last month? None of the storms have been predicted for a Wednesday :rolleyes:

Hope everyone stays safe and it's too badly affected.

No meteorologist here but I think it's the flow patterns over the atlantic and the time they take to brew up.

Back in winter 2013 all the storms arrived on Wednesdays here!

Widgeon

Visit site
It has been lovely here too.. I know this is going to sound silly but how are these storms hitting with such regularity so as to ruin every weekend for the last month? None of the storms have been predicted for a Wednesday :rolleyes:

Hope everyone stays safe and it's too badly affected.

I KNOW!! It's awful isn't it. Very interesting point from catkin too

meleeka

Visit site
F***ING WEATHER ???. It’s really doing my head in now. My fields are flooded, my horses barely move and are old and arthritic so really ought to. To top it all one of them has a cough now so I looks like I’ll be soaking hay for 5 as they all live together ? I’m sick of shovelling wet s**t every day and could happily give it all up and sit at home watching daytime tv.

Sorry rant over, that feels a bit better ?

Brownmare

Visit site
F***ING WEATHER ???. It’s really doing my head in now. My fields are flooded, my horses barely move and are old and arthritic so really ought to. To top it all one of them has a cough now so I looks like I’ll be soaking hay for 5 as they all live together ? I’m sick of shovelling wet s**t every day and could happily give it all up and sit at home watching daytime tv.

Same here! Mine have free access to a yard with a round bale, hard standing and shelter and an open gate to their field but I barely see them out in the field except for if their hay runs out and they come out to find a human with tractor keys ? I feel so sorry for my little mare as it's her first winter living out!

Floofball

Visit site
So having tried to ignore weather forecasts and just deal with the here and now, this thread made me have a little peep!!! Big mistake ?

Funny you mention Wednesdays - they are usually day off for my lad as I have other commitments all day. It’s been so annoying not being able to do anything with him on the one good day a week for the last 6 weeks! Surely it will end soon ??

Feel so sorry for all in the flooded areas - Stay safe and as dry as possible peeps

Finlib

Visit site
I feel your pain .I am soaking hay as 1 of my 3_has a slight cough soaking has stopped it but it is hard work.I have a large tank with a plug hole to drain it and a pulley system from a high beam to lift the hay and swing into a trolley.
they are out on 4 acres of foggage from 10 until 5 then corralled on a large pole barn 75ft by 25ft with a hard standing hard area in front of it around 200 ft by 50 ft plus I open to an outdoor school if it's not too torrential. So coping
it is certainly a hard time to keep horses!!
1st March is officially the first day of spring !!!!!!! I WISH

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Wind and sleety rain here. I feel so sorry for my sheep and the horses, wish I had a huge barn I could bring them into. They are standing up to it amazingly well thankfully. Hopefully the foal is going a week on Sat so that will be one less to worry about.
The feed blocks for the sheep are up in the top gateway where we can fence them away from the horses, some long buried hardcore there too so they can't sink but it is just slurry now. There is a footpath along there too and surprisingly some people are still mad enough to walk it. My sister suggested putting a notice on the kissing gate, 'Abandon hope all ye who enter here':p
Pictures show one shot looking down the field and the other looking towards to feed blocks. Footpath is on the right.IMG0582A.jpgIMG0583A.jpg

Sealine

Visit site
It's been chucking it down with rain here all morning. I'm on DIY livery and our yard owner has not restricted turn out at all. It's not my land but even I'm worrying about the state of the fields bearing in mind the field we are in now we will move off in late March to allow it to come back for hay. My horse is slightly arthritic so I don't want to restrict his turn out but it's getting to the point where I have to push him into the field in the mornings - he's not impressed :(

Asha

Visit site
Wind and sleety rain here. I feel so sorry for my sheep and the horses, wish I had a huge barn I could bring them into. They are standing up to it amazingly well thankfully. Hopefully the foal is going a week on Sat so that will be one less to worry about.
The feed blocks for the sheep are up in the top gateway where we can fence them away from the horses, some long buried hardcore there too so they can't sink but it is just slurry now. There is a footpath along there too and surprisingly some people are still mad enough to walk it. My sister suggested putting a notice on the kissing gate, 'Abandon hope all ye who enter here':p
Pictures show one shot looking down the field and the other looking towards to feed blocks. Footpath is on the right.View attachment 41759View attachment 41760

My fields are just like yours EP. we really need a 'I don't like button' its awful isn't it.

Suechoccy

Visit site
2 weeks ago I didn't think the ground could get any wetter ... I was wrong, it has rained every day since. I am totally, utterly, comprehensively f****d off with the wet and mud. It's been constant since 1 October. I will take a photo tomorrow as I remember in August thinking the ground was so hard that it would never become soft again, so likewise once we're in August this year and it's rock hard and there's no water, I'll have forgotten how it is right now.

palo1

Visit site

Me too :( Here on the Welsh borders our horses haven't even been able to access the winter turnout for 14 blooming weeks!! They are on a large open yard with an open barn and stables but would love to go out into the wreck of what used to be our winter turnout. Sadly our water/flood management system for the house, barn and yard is now dependent on temporary ditches/trenches so that we can direct the water that runs endlessly down our fields.

If the horses go out they will trash those and we will have flooded stables, yard and house. That can happen in such a short space of time that effectively the winter turnout is totally out of bounds - when we have tried turning out previously we haven't had enough time to repair the ditches before water starts running in the wrong direction! It is godawful trying to keep the hard yard, barn and stables clean enough and to exercise the 2 that are in work. I am beyond exhausted this winter. We can't believe the volume of water that our ground and roads has had to cope with and have had far, far too many days where all we have done is decide what to do about getting to work and dealing with water/flooding issues. Our village has been cut off by flooding more times than I can think of this winter and again today the local school had to finish very early as the roads were becoming impassable again. I try really hard every day to get to work and most days I do manage it but I am losing motivation to keep going; a 20 mile journey can take anything up to 2 hours each way depending on the roads/conditions and I have to decide whether to use my 4x4 (which is expensive to run and I have to pay to park that one at work) or not. Sometimes I don't have a choice as my OH definately needs the Shogun to get to his work - he earns more than me so he gets first dibs!!

I really try hard to keep going, stay positive and remind myself that winter is always hard work with horses, that I love where I live and that I am not lonely or cold either.

I know many, many people have had it far worse and my heart genuinely goes out to them - I simply cannot imagine how I would cope if things were worse. :( I am truly thankful that our home is not flooded and that we have food and supplies always here; we are fortunate indeed. But I am bloody knackered and feel quite trapped by the constant rain now.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I'm on the Welsh border of Shropshire and I'm also sick to death of the effing rain. I hate it so much. My Great Danes have turned my garden into a slush pit, horses live out and are arse deep in mud (but surprisingly happy enough) and my house looks much like the garden courtesy of all the dogs. I don't know how much more we can all take :(

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Feeling it here too guys. My turnout is absolutely wrecked, horses being kept in who do not want to be in, they're eating me out of house and home with no end in sight. I've definitely said more than once this season that "thats it, thats me out of horses once these die"o_O