not foals anymore, hows your 'yearlings' doing?

SKY

Visit site
im back, roots is done and bloody phone phone still not playong ball. so ah well, you can c her few mths ago in previous post, i give up my phone has won:mad:.

loving all your yearlings.

kinskycookie

Visit site
Apparently I have a 'corrupt' album which is why no-one can see pics :eek:

I have a flickr or photobucket account somewhere so will get updating and upload some pics. Thankyou Siennasmum - how do I share from Facebook? That would save some time and effort!

Love seeing how everyones babies are growing, I'm a little sad though that mine looks more horse than foal already!

Hurricanelady

Visit site
A bit more than a yearling (now 18 months old), not a great picture although demonstrating the tolerance he has for his little brother who is constantly jumping all over him :rolleyes: Still going up (!) probably going to reach 17 hh like his sire.

Filling out now and finally growing into his knees, which is a relief.

picture.php

snowstormII

Visit site
Am I old enough to count as a yearling? I am only just 7 months so I think I am still a weanling till my birthday. Mum says my bottom is a bit high, but I might grow into it!
DSC_0319_zps12620d69.jpg

This is what I looked like when I first got here aged 4 1/2 months...
Titchday12012.jpg

kinskycookie

Visit site
whoop whoop! Shame I haven't got a decent square photo to put on now. What an anti climax :eek: Maybe he'll be nice and tired after today's naughty adventure, I could take one tomorrow!

image_zps4630d039.jpg

Here's one more to explain the "am I a gelding yet?" Comment! :D
image_zpse62b5189.jpg

SpottyTB

Visit site
Snowstorm - Yours is lovely :) what is he/she? Breed :) and mines only 8 months but in "show terms" counted as a yearling..

Kinsky - LOVELY :p so gorgeous and love that last photo :D how big is he due to make? :)

kinskycookie

Visit site
Both his parents are 16hh so I'm happy if he makes that. Starting to think that he may make a touch more though! He seems to be growing nice and evenly, was quite shocked when I measured him as didn't think he'd grown that much. I ought to do 'the string test' everyone talks about. His legs are huge!

Can't wait to see all these gorgeous babies in their summer coats :)

snowstormII

Visit site
Thank you! My ginger foal is a Quantock Hill Pony. I think he is due to make about 14.3/15 hh (I hope!).

Kinsky, it was well worth the wait to see your lovely spotty boy. I could so be a foal hoarder!!

I am equally keen to see them all in their summer coats - don't think it will be this weekend though!! I just know there is a smart little horse underneath all of Titch's fluff, especially if/when his front end catches up with the back end. Good job I love my fugly duckling!!

snowstormII

Visit site
When are people gelding their colts? Think mine has 2 nuts now, but he is still being nice. Having said that I want him to maximise his height and have heard he will grow taller and leaner if cut early-ish rather than leaving him till 3 when he would get thicker set but poss not so tall. Sorry to high-jack post. Just so pleased to have found my gang on HHO!!

Hurricanelady

Visit site
When are people gelding their colts? Think mine has 2 nuts now, but he is still being nice. Having said that I want him to maximise his height and have heard he will grow taller and leaner if cut early-ish rather than leaving him till 3 when he would get thicker set but poss not so tall. Sorry to high-jack post. Just so pleased to have found my gang on HHO!!

Hi, personally I have found early gelding to be better whilst colts are still with their dam - both mine have sailed through the procedure with little swelling, no infection, no stress and very quick recovery. This year's foal was done recently at 5.5 months old and after a very cold day sitting at my yard working in the car to ensure there were no complications (!) he was climbing all over the mare and very ready to go out next day - you wouldn't have known he'd been gelded that morning. He had no bleeding at all, and last year's foal only had a small amount of bleeding for 2 days.

Last year's foal's behaviour improved immeasurably immediately after gelding, and of course the procedure is somewhat more significant the bigger the relevant body parts are later on in life!

I'm not sure about the taller/leaner thing if gelded early, my vet last year said something like that but I'm sure the more experienced breeders on here than me will be able to advise.

Good luck :)

SpottyTB

Visit site
Very nice Kinsky, snowstorm - yours is lovely.. but what is a quantock pony? what breed or is that the breed? (please excuse my ignorance - i just have never heard of that before)

And as for gelding, i was planning on doing mine at 6 months but then we got the mud thing and now its to bad to do it so am waiting until march/april time.. he's exceptionally behaved for a colt, you don't have to worry about him striking out, he doesn't/hasn't bitten or nibbled ..so whilst he's like that - i don't mind! He'll be around 10/11 months old.

:)

kinskycookie

Visit site
I can only find one nut on Mr spot but he also has a lovely temperament, and not at all 'colty', in fact I was amazed at how well he let me search for the missing nut lol! - Having said that he was apparently very full of himself having escaped his own paddock, prancing along the fence to the mares paddock the other day...and was enjoying himself so much he was uncatchable for a few hours! ooops :eek:

Plan at the moment is for vet to try and find other nut next week then geld March time I think :D (he will be just 1yr old then).

SnowstormII - he is so cute :)

snowstormII

Visit site
SpottyTB - Quantock Hill Ponies are bred on the hills in Somerset, the Quantocks. They seem to me to be a type rather than a breed. One source says they are based on Exmoor ponies, but this one and my last one didn't look much like it ;)

My last one was apparently 2nd generation 3/4 TB with alot of pony mixed in I'd say. This one is much heavier boned and much more fuzzy!! The breeders son told me the sire would have been a welsh c/ araby sort of thing. So it is a bit of a gamble how he will turn out. Makes it a bit more fun though!

I really wish they were a recognised breed though as my last one was an ace show hunter pony and I would have loved to do more with her in the native classes. I have also heard that they make excellent competition ponies, especially jumping.