Not good news on my return to riding

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Feeling a little disappointed . :rolleyes: News on my hip replacement 14 weeks ago is not great. Apparently I now have bursitis and my tendon is impinging slightly on my new hip. Surgeon hopes physio will help, if not will try draining and or injecting it, the tendon he is quite confident can be manipulated with physio. All ok until about 8 weeks, then it all seemed to slowly go pear shaped, less mobility with as much pain as before replacement.

My other hip will now have to wait (was due next month but probably another 6 months to a year as Covid has also put all elective surgery way behind.) They think I did more damage to my back than originally thought after my accident, after both hips are sorted they will start looking at my back for possible surgery.:oops:

I had hoped this spring to get my horse back from his previous owner who has so kindly looked after him for me for so long now. But I have decided in fairness to her (full livery FOC) and to him, and as per our agreement when I bought him, she has bought him back from me and will keep him with her now as she has found a new job for him as her own riding horse again (guaranteed and I trust her 100 per cent).

My family are also concerned at my age, with all my repairs and up coming ops, he really is a bit too much horse for any riding I might be able to do from 2023 onwards. Unfortunately I think they are probably right.

So my gorgeous big hunk of a horse will not be coming home to me after all. ? I do intend to look around nearer the time for something considerably smaller but as bomb proof on the roads as he is. It will need to be happy to have me flopping around in the saddle as we plod around the place. I do have to 'ride' the big boy, but I now need something considerably smaller that will put up with a passenger on board, rather than an active rider if you know what I mean?. Thank goodness I still have my old mare and the donkeys to play with while I sulk my way through to 2023!?

Gratuitous picsmiller smaller pic.jpgMiller summer.jpgsmaller miller.JPGresized.jpg
of the big boy, just because?.

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
Feeling a little disappointed . :rolleyes: News on my hip replacement 14 weeks ago is not great. Apparently I now have bursitis and my tendon is impinging slightly on my new hip. Surgeon hopes physio will help, if not will try draining and or injecting it, the tendon he is quite confident can be manipulated with physio. All ok until about 8 weeks, then it all seemed to slowly go pear shaped, less mobility with as much pain as before replacement.

My other hip will now have to wait (was due next month but probably another 6 months to a year as Covid has also put all elective surgery way behind.) They think I did more damage to my back than originally thought after my accident, after both hips are sorted they will start looking at my back for possible surgery.:oops:

I had hoped this spring to get my horse back from his previous owner who has so kindly looked after him for me for so long now. But I have decided in fairness to her (full livery FOC) and to him, and as per our agreement when I bought him, she has bought him back from me and will keep him with her now as she has found a new job for him as her own riding horse again (guaranteed and I trust her 100 per cent).

My family are also concerned at my age, with all my repairs and up coming ops, he really is a bit too much horse for any riding I might be able to do from 2023 onwards. Unfortunately I think they are probably right.

So my gorgeous big hunk of a horse will not be coming home to me after all. ? I do intend to look around nearer the time for something considerably smaller but as bomb proof on the roads as he is. It will need to be happy to have me flopping around in the saddle as we plod around the place. I do have to 'ride' the big boy, but I now need something considerably smaller that will put up with a passenger on board, rather than an active rider if you know what I mean?. Thank goodness I still have my old mare and the donkeys to play with while I sulk my way through to 2023!?

Gratuitous picsView attachment 86339View attachment 86335View attachment 86336View attachment 86340
of the big boy, just because?.
Can’t find the words for how sorry I am Mrs J. He is such a handsome big boy, how many hands high?

LeneHorse

Visit site
That must be so disappointing for you Mrs Jingle. Hopefully the medics will get you sorted and reduce your pain before too long.
Then you can look for something new to ride. I don't have any experience of hip replacements but you may need to avoid anything too wide.
Wishing you a speedy recovery

stangs

Visit site
Fingers crossed the physio helps, and that your recovery is as smooth and easy as can be xx

Your boy has exactly the type of head I love, proper war horse looking type. Stunning lad.

Ratface

Visit site
Please concentrate on getting well and as pain-free as possible.
Avoid rushing it, if possible. I did (small fracture, lower spine) and am permanently in pain and lop-sided. My excuse is that I was young and determined.
These days I'm old and determined. Still lop-sided.
I pace myself better though. Still ride my equally old and determined horse, but only when I think that neither of us (usually horse) is in Death or Glory mode.
Good luck, and rest up as much as possible.

Lexi_

Visit site
Oh I’m really sorry, Mrs J. That must be such a wrench for you.

Hope the physio goes smoothly and the hip settles down so that you can start pony planning!

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
He is 17.3 Rumtytum and quite big boned with it. I think something like myself might do for my next ride, old, short, fat and hairy!:D

I have old, short, fat and hairy and I love him dearly. I'm not sure I'd want to get on him with bad hips though. You might want to go for old, short, skinny and hairy.

I'm so sorry you've had this setback, but it's great you have such a good home for your current boy.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Very sorry to read all of that, Mrs J. Life has really dumped on you, hasn't it?

Thanks ycbm, I have to say the past year hasn't been one of my finest one way and another. He was supposed to be my very last forever riding horses, he was my special treat for my 70th birthday and I had banked on him staying around until I am at least 80 - not even sure I will be still around never mind the horse lol!

Looking back on the past couple of years though, there are so many people who have suffered a million times worse than I have done and I am so grateful for what I do have, just have to be a bit patient now and go with the flow.

BronsonNutter

Visit site
I have old, short, fat and hairy and I love him dearly. I'm not sure I'd want to get on him with bad hips though. You might want to go for old, short, skinny and hairy.

I think small TBs are the best for hips. Or standardbreds - half of them have grown up amongst traffic and pacing is by far the comfiest gait if you've also got a knackered back!

Sorry you've had this setback, hope some intensive physio can get you sorted.

Spot_On03

Visit site
So sorry to hear this. At least I suppose you know your boy was/is in capable hands and well looked after... Hopefully your recovery doesn't take as long as expected and you can be back in the saddle soon.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Had to Like your first post when you posted photos of such a handsome horse, even though I really didn't like hearing that your hips, and back, problems aren't closer to a solution, especially the part about your pain being back on pre-operation levels. I'm sorry to hear that.

I got so ambivalent feelings now. In one way it's wonderful that his old owner was happy to have him back, loves him, takes good care of him, and that you don't need to worry about finding him a good, new home on top of everything else.
At the same time it sucks so incredibly much that he's not with you, so that you can love him, and take good care of him.

But, it is the way it is. I really hope it starts turning around for you on the health front, soon.
And talking about horses that are short, sometimes fat, and hairy, have you considered a plan B? Like getting yourself a Shetland, a buggy, and drive instead of riding? It's closer to the ground, and if you're new to horse driving, even better, because doctors says that the older you get, the better it is for the brain if you learn new skills.

Trouper

Visit site
May a fellow spine/hip/tendon issues septuagenarian send heartfelt sympathies! We are so used to battling on that when the realisation/advice finally hits that days are numbered it hurts more than the conditions. If it is any consolation I am lucky enough to have a consultant who firmly believes in the power of exercise and working with the physios to strengthen everything rather than always resorting to surgery so I do hope you have a really good physio to help out. Mine tells me that, despite what doctors tell you about healing time, it takes the best part of a year to get over any significant surgery and to get all the associated tissues settled down and functioning properly.
I struggle with this advice but she has been proved right over the last few years!!.
I am so sorry about the big boy and had to hand over mine for the same reasons. It is still a daily struggle to be "grown up" about that decision and to know that it was the best for him but he does seem to be enjoying a fuller life than I could give him and that is the consolation.
Keep b........ing on!! As my OH says - there is no alternative.;);)