Not impressed with this

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Absolutely disgusting but sadly I am not surprised. I've taken multiple calls this week asking if we know of anywhere with kittens available for Christmas, there are 8 week old puppies booked in for first vaccs on Christmas eve and, most sadly, the usual big surge in numbers of elderly pets being booked in for PTS. Our local puppy farmer has multiple litters advertised ready to go in time for Christmas.

According to the comments the sign was swiftly taken down but the fact that it occurred to someone in the first place to write it just shows the thought processes behind these things.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Absolutely disgusting but sadly I am not surprised. I've taken multiple calls this week asking if we know of anywhere with kittens available for Christmas, there are 8 week old puppies booked in for first vaccs on Christmas eve and, most sadly, the usual big surge in numbers of elderly pets being booked in for PTS. Our local puppy farmer has multiple litters advertised ready to go in time for Christmas.

According to the comments the sign was swiftly taken down but the fact that it occurred to someone in the first place to write it just shows the thought processes behind these things.

Sad money grabbing world we live in isn't it

Alec Swan

Visit site
The truth, of course, is that pets do indeed make wonderful Christmas presents. If only it was that simple though! The thought behind the gift is generally well intentioned, BUT …….. it's the continuance of responsibility which is where the good intentions so often collapse.

When I was 14 my Mum presented me with a Lurcher pup on Christmas morning. It was a complete surprise. Lace was the very bestest pressie, ever! She slept on my bed that night, and every night, and when I wasn't at boarding school, she was my constant companion and we had some serious fun times together.

Otherwise, I agree that now in the 21st. century, such sales promotions are all so often incredibly short sighted and many will be bound to failure. However we look at it, it's wrong.

Alec.

Brownmare

Visit site
most sadly, the usual big surge in numbers of elderly pets being booked in for PTS. QUOTE]

#shocked. How can people do this?

Well actually it is something that has been on my mind for our elderly lurcher who is 14. He has arthritis in his spine and finds getting up and down painful and the recent damp weather has hit him hard. Thankfully the vet has got him on some painkillers that are doing the trick for now but it was a close call. The fact that Christmas is coming had nothing to do with my decision making and I would never have considered prolonging his life just to get past Christmas if pts was the best decision.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Apologies if I caused any offence with that statement, Brownmare, it wasn't intended as a judgement on any individual circumstances - and of course there will be pets that are PTS in December due to their deteriorating health same as any other month.

It is true though that we see something like a 20% increase during December that I can only attribute to people making the decision earlier than they might have done otherwise. There are multiple factors at work I'm sure but incontinence is often cited, I think this is much harder to deal with during the winter months and is compounded by having visiting family and friends.

Please excuse me if I'm becoming maudlin and cynical, it's a difficult time of year to work with animals and to be associated with dog rescue. :(

WelshD

Visit site
I recently bought a puppy from a working litter and was quite closely questioned by the breeder that i was buying for the right reasons and what sort of home I could offer, good on her, the idea of selling at the highest price as a Christmas present was not a draw for her and I am grateful that I was trusted to home the puppy

Alec Swan

Visit site
…….. . The fact that Christmas is coming had nothing to do with my decision making and I would never have considered prolonging his life just to get past Christmas if pts was the best decision.

A good post, and I agree with you, but then the time to consider waiving farewell should be in the interest of the dog, and if there's likely to be any disruption to the daily routine of a dog who's future is known to be limited, then rather than have the poor creature suffer the indignity of either having visiting and strange hoards invading its space, or worse, shutting the animal away from the visitors, it may well be that bringing forward the inevitable, is another aspect of humanity. Had you decided that it would be kinder, not to inflict Christmas on your dog, then who could say that you were wrong? Not I!

As you imply, rather than pandering to our own sensibilities, it's better that we consider the dog.

Alec.

chillipup

Visit site
The truth, of course, is that pets do indeed make wonderful Christmas presents. If only it was that simple though! The thought behind the gift is generally well intentioned, BUT …….. it's the continuance of responsibility which is where the good intentions so often collapse.

When I was 14 my Mum presented me with a Lurcher pup on Christmas morning. It was a complete surprise. Lace was the very bestest pressie, ever! She slept on my bed that night, and every night, and when I wasn't at boarding school, she was my constant companion and we had some serious fun times together.

Otherwise, I agree that now in the 21st. century, such sales promotions are all so often incredibly short sighted and many will be bound to failure. However we look at it, it's wrong.

Alec.

A good post, and I agree with you, but then the time to consider waiving farewell should be in the interest of the dog, and if there's likely to be any disruption to the daily routine of a dog who's future is known to be limited, then rather than have the poor creature suffer the indignity of either having visiting and strange hoards invading its space, or worse, shutting the animal away from the visitors, it may well be that bringing forward the inevitable, is another aspect of humanity. Had you decided that it would be kinder, not to inflict Christmas on your dog, then who could say that you were wrong? Not I!

As you imply, rather than pandering to our own sensibilities, it's better that we consider the dog.

Alec.

This ^^ I just wish I had the same articulation and eloquence as you Alec.

Theocat

Visit site
I absolutely support owners who make the decision early because they realise Christmas could be a very distressing time to be a very ill or old animal.

I make no judgement on owners with a very old or ill animal who might be difficult to manage over Christmas; the animal won't know the difference. It is not a decision that increases suffering, even if it is selfish.

I am horrified by owners who keep the animals going because the owner wants them to see Christmas, or doesn't want to be upset themselves before Christmas.

Alec is exactly right - Christmas would be hell for a sick animal. Noise, strangers, lack of routine, no quiet corners ...

Brownmare

Visit site
Apologies if I caused any offence with that statement, Brownmare, it wasn't intended as a judgement on any individual circumstances - and of course there will be pets that are PTS in December due to their deteriorating health same as any other month.

It is true though that we see something like a 20% increase during December that I can only attribute to people making the decision earlier than they might have done otherwise. There are multiple factors at work I'm sure but incontinence is often cited, I think this is much harder to deal with during the winter months and is compounded by having visiting family and friends.

Please excuse me if I'm becoming maudlin and cynical, it's a difficult time of year to work with animals and to be associated with dog rescue. :(

No offence taken BC :) I simply wanted to point out an alternative view.

FWIW we also had a dog when I was growing up who became incontinent. He was managed easily in the summer as the garden door was always open and he spent most of his waking hours outside. In the winter it was different and he was hugely distressed whenever he wet his bed despite (obviously) never being told off for it. In retrospect I wish we had had him pts at the end of that summer instead of putting him through those last months which were miserable and upsetting for him...