"Not level most of the time but..."

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
"...at times showed some lovely trot strides".

This statement was said to me earlier this week by a dressage judge about another livery's horse.

We had a dressage competition (low key unaffiliated) at the yard a few weeks back. I don't expect to get anywhere in these because Bailey is (how can we put this!) a "slow burner" and I do them to get experience for us both and to build our confidence. If we do an accurate test (which I do try to aim for) and we get a decent score, then I am happy.

Some parts of our tests were nice and he stopped worrying about what was going on, but he took real exception to the judge's car of all things! So coming down the centre line lovely and straight didn't quite happen all the way and he was tense when we came past the car. I thought the comments we got were fair and to be honest, I'm not experienced enough from a competitive view to know whether marking is generous, harsh or on the button. At the end of the day I am happy with what we did and know where we need to work on for the next time.

I was a bit surprised to be approached by the judge in question earlier this week who said she thought she had been too harsh on me, and then made the above statement about another horse, who had finished above us (not hard as we were last!) We got 57.39 (some may scoff but I was happy) and this horse got 62%

I was talking about this with a friend as I was confused about whether or not this actually mattered. My friend thinks it does as Gentleman was marked down last year in the Paralympics for being unlevel. The judge also said to me that she hadn't marked this horse down or spoken to the rider about soundness.

My question to the forum is should a horse be marked down or have a test stopped if it is "unlevel most of the time" or does that not matter in a test and you are just marked as normal?

There are no sour grapes involved in my query; although we are "competing", it is all for experience and I'm realistic to know that it'll be a while yet before we go out to be competitive. I am genuinely interested to see what others opinions are.

I didn't really say anything to the judge other than I was pleased with how my boy did overall, as I what do you say? I felt uncomfortable that comments were being made to me in this context as they clearly hadn't been said to the owner of the horse in question.

Thanks!

Rouletterose

Visit site
Although you say this was low key I am somewhat surpried that the judge concerned spoke to you at a later date and the content of what she said is rather unprofessional. Yes it does matter about being unlevel most of the time, I am taking 'most of the time' as being for maybe 80% of the test? a horse unlevel for that length of time in my opinion (and I have done a lot of judging) should have been eliminated kindly....as the rider may not be experienced enough to realise, and reasons given on the sheet.

A horse unlevel for 1 or two strides occasionally could be allowed to continue at this level.

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
I'm not sure how unlevel the horse was or for what duration of the test as I didn't see the test myself.

It has got me thinking though as I'm also wondering if the judge is approaching others who took part and perhaps saying things about others to them as well?

I'm trying not to dwell on it too much though as I suffer with nerves and confidence issues, so if I start thinking that whenever she judges I'd never go in for a test again as I generally always feel like a bit of an idiot when I ride anyway!

glamourpuss

Visit site
'Not level most of the time' is a very worrying thing to see on a dressage test without the judge stopping the rider TBH.
If the horse is only showing good steps on the straight side & diagonal then IMO that is not unlevel but lame on a circle.
But if the horse is taking the occaisional odd short step behind consistently throughout the test then I agree that is unlevel.

Honestly I would expect a judge to stop the test & have a chat with the rider regarding scenario 1.
Scenario 2 I think it would be acceptable to let them finish the test but I'm surprised the rider didn't approach the judge to find out what she meant by unlevel.

TarrSteps

Visit site
I'm with Rr, I think it was inapropriate of the judge to speak to you and there really wasn't anything you could have said in reply. I guess, on second thought, she felt badly but even then, the only person she might have spoken to at that point was the other rider. If the horse looked unsound (vs uneven because of something the rider was doing) then it really should have been rung out.

Sometimes at very low level un affiliated competitors judges will be a bit forgiving about older schoolmaster types being a bit dodgy and will let it go with a comment that this would be unacceptable in higher competition. Momentary unevenness in certain movements is also not necessarily grounds for ringing the bell, especially extensions, collections etc, as they can be caused by lack of strength and balance. They should still be commented on and marked down though.

Jesstickle

Visit site
I guess it depends what the judge meant by unlevel as to whether they should have said anything to the person who owns the horse. People use it differently I think.

Don't think there was much you could have said though. What are you meant to say to that?!

9tails

Visit site
How is she defining unlevel? Lame or argumentative? If lame, I'm also surprised that she allowed the test to continue.