Not my problem longterm but need help with recall

crabbymare

Visit site
I am looking after a dog for the next couple of months thats well trained when on a lead but when she is off it the recall is non existant if a rabbit or hare jumps up :( Other than keeping her on a line all the time does anyone know a way I can improve her while she is with me or will it be a case of no loose playing for her while she is here? she is a german shepherd if it makes any difference and 5 years old

crabbymare

Visit site
Is she ok with other dogs if so get a dog with her that recalls this is how we train pups to recall.
Thanks she is fine with others but mine sticks to me and rarely goes anywhere so is not much good as a role model

Keep her on the lead. You will not have time to form much of a bond in that time.
Thanks she does know me and comes here regularly but I had a nasty feeling that it would take too long but it was worth an ask :)

Dry Rot

Visit site
I have occasionally purchased a dog for an overseas client, then had the problem of recapturing it when it did not come to call. When it is someone else's dog, I can assure you it can become a nightmare. Often they will go off convinced they can locate their owners and even though you can get close, actually getting a hand on them can be difficult. Personally, I would not risk it. It is not so much the dog being hand shy or not knowing you but that it wants to find it's owner which is perfectly natural and understandable.

Alec Swan

Visit site
With a 5 year old dog which has an ingrained behaviour form, then stopping it without harsh treatment would probably be impossible, and probably pointless too. At 5 years of age, the old adage of 'Old dogs and new tricks' springs to mind. As the dog concerned won't be with you forever, then I'd simply live with the problem, were I you. Chasing the odd bunny gives her exercise, and saves you a deal of leg-work! It's hardly the crime of the century! :)

It's highly unlikely that you (or anyone else for that matter!) will ever manage to stop the dog from 'wanting' to do as it's always done.

Alec.

crabbymare

Visit site
Thanks both, I have asked the owner to bring a long retractable lead so she can wander a few yards from me and I will just have to get out and walk her instead of her being able to run around here loose like mine does. I think I have been spoilt by my boy being so easy :)

Dry Rot

Visit site
Is there no where she can be let off safely? Abandoned tennis court? Fenced forestry? She could be fine -- but if she's not, expect fun and games.:(

crabbymare

Visit site
Sadly nowhere she can have a proper run as other than a bit of the garden I dont have anywhere with a dogproof fence so she will have to make do with that and as she is very good on a lead I may be able to cycle round the tracks to give her a good workout :)