Not PSSM...

sherry90

Visit site
So after posting this a few weeks ago: https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/possible-pssm.786822/

I have had hair sample test results back from CAG Animal Genetics for both PSSM1 and 2 as n/n for my 6yo ID gelding.

Short story he felt ‘not quite right’ but not lame. Sort of like he was constantly straining for a poo after a few strides of trot and wouldn’t stay into canter. Picking up wrong legs in canter on the lunge (not when ridden) see other post for more detail. I’ve had this horse since a yearling and I know him well, it didn’t just feel like unbalanced or schooling issues as prior to this he was going well. His bum muscles went solid after 10mins on the lunge but he wasn’t ever sore to touch.

Whilst I awaited the tests results I added linseed and Vit E (forage plus - two scoops per day) in his feed. Within two days he looked more relaxed. Hard to describe, he doesn’t typically appear a tense horse but I could tell from just looking at him on the ground, he looked and felt soft and squishy. Lunged him as I’ve chosen to not ride at the moment, and he was fabulous, no issues with canter leads and kept in canter until asked and was on the button really.

I obviously can’t test the ridden work just yet as I’m not riding, but is it possible, despite him being negative for PSSM that the extra Vit E or linseed has had an effect?

Or was I just a neurotic owner and he’s just having a late growth spurt (he’s 6yo and did go through a similar stage as a 4yo)?!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
There are many muscle myopathies, they now think. I had a cob like your horse who only needed some vitamin E, not full scale PSSM management.

It could easily be an end of winter vitamin E deficiency.

I'm glad you seem to have found an answer.

Last edited:

sherry90

Visit site
There are many muscle myopathies, they now think. I had a cob like your horse who only needed some vitamin E, not full scale PSSM management.

It could easily be and end of winter vitamin E deficiency.

I'm glad you seem to have found an answer.

Thank you - I hope so!
Can’t wait to get back on now - if this damn virus would just disappear!