Not sure if I want to watch Inside Nature's Giants, tomorrow evening, Racehorses

Gucci_b

Visit site
The team explore how the racehorse has been biologically engineered for speed, revealing the spring system that propels it to 45mph, its super-sized organs and its built-in turbo-booster.. going to be gorry
Who might watch !!! Channel 4 at 8 p.m

Jesstickle

Visit site
I've watched all the others so I guess I will. Although it isn't as interesting as a whale to be honest. Not to me anyway. It hardly has amazing evolutionary traits in the way a giraffe or something does.

Dancing Queen

Visit site
dont think so - in my job i am used to dissection, but after having lost one of my babies recently and needing the post mortem - i think it will be quite distressing on a personal level x

Zuzan

Visit site
For those out of the country it is available online (or will be after tomorrow.. previous ones are avail now) http://www.channel4.com/programmes/inside-natures-giants/episode-guide would highly reccomend the elephant one in particular.. tho all are great.

I'm recording the one tomorrow. As a hoof geek will be really really interested to see if they disect / examine the hoof ..

I hope they do rhino as same evolutionary branch as equids.

Sheep

Visit site
For those out of the country it is available online (or will be after tomorrow.. previous ones are avail now) http://www.channel4.com/programmes/inside-natures-giants/episode-guide would highly reccomend the elephant one in particular.. tho all are great.

I'm recording the one tomorrow. As a hoof geek will be really really interested to see if they disect / examine the hoof ..

I hope they do rhino as same evolutionary branch as equids.

Unfortunately it only works online if you are in the UK! Sneaky beggars.

amandap

Visit site
Last edited by a moderator:

Aces_High

Visit site
I really think for all the horse owners in the UK who can watch this programme this evening or their computer at a later date, this will be hugely beneficial. I have been involved with several horse dissections and it's most probably taught me more about the make up of horses than anything else. They are the most amazing bits of kit - for want of a better word!!

I agree not being able to watch iPlayer etc outside of the UK is pants

joeanne

Visit site
Enfys I can watch it on Iplayer and record it onto disc for you if you want to see it?
I'll watch it....when else are you likely to be able to have the anatomy of a horse shown to you in detail by someone who knows what is what, and more importantly what its for!
I think anyone with a horse ought to watch it!

Last edited:

BonneMaman

Visit site
Oh wow yes! I saw the others and they were amazing!

I suppose "giants" could be translated into "greats" - they could be talking about their speed and how our modification to the species has made them faster?

Hedwards

Visit site
I'm really looking forward to it, think its going to be really interesting - hoping they'll do a comparison to show the difference in the size of organs between a TB racehorse and that of a similar sized 'native' if you get my meaning.

I've really enjoyed the whole series, I did a degree in animal science and dissected many livestock animals, including horses so i dont think there will be much that will bother me (in fact one of the most interesting disecctions I did was a horses head, I had been dreading it, but was so interesting!)

amandap

Visit site
Unfortunately it only works online if you are in the UK! Sneaky beggars.
Oh, this works for me, or it did before my last post. iplayer doesn't though. Bet I'll click on it now and it wont work. :p

Yes, perhaps licence fees should be Euro or even World wide.

Mta. Still works for me. I down loaded a program to block my ip address to watch iplayer, it worked but caused my pc (and non techno me) major grief so I uninstalled it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sheep

Visit site
Oh, this works for me, or it did before my last post. iplayer doesn't though. Bet I'll click on it now and it wont work. :p

Yes, perhaps licence fees should be Euro or even World wide.

Mta. Still works for me. I down loaded a program to block my ip address to watch iplayer, it worked but caused my pc (and non techno me) major grief so I uninstalled it.

Only works for me up until the moment of clicking play- boo.

I do have a thing for changing my IP but it isn't working- double boo- maybe someone will upload to youtube. Or I'll get my bf to figure it out for me, he's good with technology!

madlady

Visit site
I'm really looking forward to this. I'm hoping as well that they make comparisons to non TB's, I would be very very interested in the differences.

Mlini

Visit site
I am planning on watching this!

I did an Equine Science module at college where we disected various parts and found it very interesting! It helps to know what's inside aswell! I own an ex-racer so am interested in the differences between TB's and other breeds (I'm sure this will be included). :D:D:D

Carolina24

Visit site
Well ... what did everyone who watched it think? personally I found it very educational and because the animals used in these programmes have been euthanased or died in natural causes it doesn't make it quite so horrific. It was very educational and has given me a new found respect for my Boy and how his body works. Never knew a horses lungs we're practically the full length of it's body! wow!

Carolina24

Visit site
It is informative and not gory in anyway more medical and very good for helping you leanr more about your horses anatomy. hope you enjoy it!

Gucci_b

Visit site
Was a very good educational program of the horse. The size of a tb heart was very big, but i did wonder one thing.... why do riders feel the need to use a grackle nose band or other when x.countrying, galloping and jumping when the horse needs so much air in it's lungs.