Not sure if my mare is pregnant

Lucycrow111

New User
Visit site
Do you think my horse seems pregnant? She was on good grass a few months ago but with it being hot and that she hasnt been eating no where near as much. Ive read about symptons such a snapping when tightning the girth(which she does) itching her bum (which she also does and is up to date on worming) only shaking her head and neck and not her full body to protect her foal which she also does frequently with the flies , and also does winking of the vulva , she has also been in heat and the boys are all attracted to her

Last edited:

crabbymare

Visit site
Those things are also seen in horses that are not pregnant. Geldings will also snap when you tighten the girth and will itch their bum, they also shake just the head and neck, so those are not ways to say a mare is in foal or not. If she is coming in season then it is unlikely that ahe is pregnant and without seeing her nobody can say yes or no for definite, the best way if you really do think its possible is to have a vet look at her and tell you.

Lucycrow111

New User
Visit site
She also isnt fat anywhere else like at all, she has no cress neck at all, and her bum is muscle from riding , so i just dont understand why its so big. Ive compared 1 week photos and shes dropped massively. Also today i noticed that there was a dint in her belly and then after a few seconds it went. Im not sure if thats the foal moving if there is one orr? Also she will not let anyone touch her belly. She wasnt like this a few months ago when her belly was normal just recently will not let you go near it, and no sorry i didnt mean shes been in heat i mean she hasnt been in heat and the boys are attracted to her and follow her around. She also lies down alot aswell

HeyMich

Visit site
A lot of horses and ponies have a 'grass belly' at the moment, to do with a lot of high-sugar grass after the recent rain and hot weather. Do you think it could just be that?

The girthiness and gut movements could just be normal, but may be signs of something else such as digestive problems or stomach ulcers - might be worth you vet having a check over her anyway?

Are her teats enlarged or waxy looking?

We can't really diagnose or advise from here without seeing her. If you are worried, please get her checked.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
You really need to call the vet to come and examine your mare. She does not sound comfortable with snapping at the girth and not letting you touch her belly, and this needs looking at even if she is not in foal.

What is her worm count like?

She may need investigations for ulcers or ovaries.

Was her saddle recently checked?

Do you have a trainer? It sounds like you need help with experienced eyes on the ground to help you.

TheMule

Visit site
Well you can't turn a mare out with colts and not risk a pregnancy.
My advice would be to have a vet out to see her asap