Not sure wether to get the vet out!

popsicle

Visit site
Poppy. 15 this year although still relatively fit has started to tire sooner than usual during prolonged excersise and although she isn't wheezing or coughing, nor does she have a nasal discharge, she has started to make a sort of short snorting noise on exhalation when cantering. (like you sometimes hear with showjumpers) and she does "puff" a bit, but recovers quickly. Now is is an airway issue? or an age issue? do you think? Only problem when calling out our vet, they always find some reason to treat or explore, as in my vet rant post the other day. What do others think?
confused.gif

Minnies_Mum

Visit site
I would get it investigated to be honest. At 15 I wouldn't really expect her to have had a sudden change in exercise tolerance without an underlying cause- after all, horses still go round Badminton at 18!

A nasal discharge would suggest to me that there is some airway issue going on.

popsicle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I would get it investigated to be honest. At 15 I wouldn't really expect her to have had a sudden change in exercise tolerance without an underlying cause- after all, horses still go round Badminton at 18!

[/ QUOTE ]

She doesn't have a nasal discharge, I thought I read somewhere that a noise on exhaling was nothing to worry about, is that correct?

Cliqmo

Visit site
It could be an allergy that has recently developed which is now showing as something like asthma/hayfever. Have you changed her feed/bedding etc recently?

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Does she have a cough hun? That could be an allergy to tree pollen. Very common this time of year. Sunny gets an intermittent dry barking cough. I'd check pulse, breathing rate at rest, temperature, pinkness of gums, weight, appetite, zest for life. It could be anaemia, a virus, heart problems a thousand things! Hopefully if all the above (and any more you can think of) are normal, it's nothing to worry about. But if it was me and this was the first time this has ever happened, I'd get the vet out to run some blood tests, listen to heart and chest etc etc etc. Peace of mind x

Minnies_Mum

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

She doesn't have a nasal discharge, I thought I read somewhere that a noise on exhaling was nothing to worry about, is that correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, my bad, I misread. Noises on expiration are generally less significant than noises on inspiration. I would still be inclined to persue the matter, just because of her change in exercise tolerance. It could be that she has something else going on, not related to her airway, for example a virus or anaemia.

beaconhorse

Visit site
Beacon suffered RAO and his breathing/exercise tolerance was always worse when there was no discharge or cough. Once he started with a cough or discharge he was better. I guess like us once it starts coming out it is better