Not sure what to do

if you had to choose 1 breed to own what would it be??

• Total voters

parsley

Visit site
We are due to go to a show on the second of Sept that is about 70 miles away - stupidly I put the entries in without realising how far away it was. I estimate that it will take about 3 hours with my driving which will mean leaving at 7 in the morning and getting back about 10 at night - a 15 hour day! Thye pony is not the best of travelers although he isn't too bad with company (which he would have). I could get stabling and go overnight but the pony has sweetitch and rubs badly if left unattended in a stable.

I would just say sod it and not go without a thought except that my son is very proud to have qualified for the show. There is a small local show he could go to the day after instead though.

I think I have probably answered my own question but I'm not sure if I am just being fussy!

Oaksflight

Visit site
How come you'd be at the show for so long? Are you classes far apart? I'd say go, for experience! But then obviously it depends whether you're up to the driving.

parsley

Visit site
The first class is at 11 and the last one is at 6.30. The AA route finder says that the journey takes 1 and a half hours by car - I have a 33 year old lorry that does 40 tops with both horses so I reckoned on 3 hours.

parsley

Visit site
He has 1 class at 11, 1 at 12.30, 1 at 2.30 and 1 at 6.30. The other horse has one at 1.30. It is the amateur showing society show at Keysoe college.

parsley

Visit site
Actually thats a good idea! The last one is fancy dress. If we didn't do that we could be back by about 6.30 - thanks
laugh.gif

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
Would work out how much diesel is going to cost you for the long distance one then see if it works out cheaper forfeiting your entries fees and going to the local one. This way you have a sensible reason and know its more cost effective!

parsley

Visit site
I've no idea! I have only had the lorry a little while but with a 5.5. litre engine I would say a lot!
shocked.gif
Entry fees were £37.

Claireg9

Visit site
yeah go for it... either miss the last class or beg someone on here who lives close to keysoe to lend you a field for the night???????
Theres normally willing candidates, people on here tend to be so helpful!!
Claire

katelarge

Visit site
Yep, def don't stay until 6:30, that far too long a day. Just do a few early ones and then back. So everyone is happy, including the pony!

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
He has 1 class at 11, 1 at 12.30, 1 at 2.30 and 1 at 6.30.

[/ QUOTE ]
Personally I'd drop the last class parsley, epecially as it's only Fancy Dress - going to be a bit much for pony and child otherwise I reckon - that's a helluva long day, isn't it?

Rambo

Visit site
I reckon you're looking at £50 in diesel alone...I wouldn't go that far in an old, slow lorry tbh...but if you do, I would definitely give the last class a miss. It's not really fair on the horse or pony being on the wagon for that amount of time
shocked.gif

parsley

Visit site
Yes - I think that I had more or less decided not to go but I will see how the pony goes to the next couple of shows and have a chat to my son about it - and definatly miss the last class.