Not sure what to do

foxy

Visit site
I am sorry this is quite long but really need some advice ...

My boy is nearly 8, I have had him for just over 3 years and bought him to event. All went well for the first 8 - 12 months, I bought him on slowly did a couple of low key events and then started to prepare him for his proper event.

Not sure what caused it but he developed ulcers which took nearly 12 months to clear, finally got it sorted when he again became difficult to ride and generally not right.
I had the vet out and I was referred to the local equine hospital as the vet thougt he had a back problem - after a bone scan and various xrays he was diaganosed with sacro -illiac problems and very slight changes in one hock.

He was treated and given time off then bought back into work slowly (this include rehab work on a hydrotreadmill). Just started to plan some dressage and sj for the winter when he went lame.

He went for xrays and it was discovered he has severe DJD in both hocks, low bone density which basically means his bones are crumbling and bony spurs on the top of his cannon bone. He has been treated with Tildren twice and he is ok in straight lines but turning shows up he is still lame.

Now I am not sure what to do, he will never be able to do what I want to do. The vet says a hacking home is not really an option as his legs won't stand up to the road work. He is a horse who needs to be worked otherwise he gets very bored plus because of his back problem he has to be kept fit and well muscled.

Just wanted to see what other options people thought I might have.

Thank you for reading, sorry it is so long.

be positive

Visit site
If he wont stand up to a hacking home, it may not involve any roadwork your vets assumption is rather strange as most happy hackers would rather be off road.
It sounds like a LOU claim would be the way to go, you need to discuss this with your vet.

foxy

Visit site
My vets assumption was his legs would probably not stand up to a lot of roadwork due to the low bone density causing problems. He is not what I would call a senisble hack either as he can get a bit giddy. I want to do the best for him and don't want him passed from person to person.

Unfortunetly he is not insured for LOU and whilst this would mean I would recoup some of his purchase price I would still have the situation of what sort of home would be suitable for him.

Kelly1982

Visit site
Are the DJD and low bone density degenerative? Or has the tildren stopped the problems from getting any worse (sorry don't know much bout either?) but would say if they are degenerative then his outlook would be pretty bleak :0(

What does your vet suggest?

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Bloody phone !!!! Euthenasia. Is there a blood bank nearby ? That's an option but if he won't be happy not worked and unable to stand being ridden it's a really crap situation for you. Very sad x

foxy

Visit site
Victoria1980x - thanks

Kelly1982 - yes the DJD is degenerative joint disease, the vet was hoping the tildren would help the low bone density but as he is still lame I think it maybe has not worked - obviously the only definite way to tell would be to re-xray

luckyoldme

Visit site
Awful situation.
He s a very young horse with a hugely exspensive retirement to pay for..
My heart says retire him and my head says let him go.
I would really need to listen to my head on this one .
Its one thing having a horse for 20 years and giving it a good retiremnent.Quite another to have a horse for two years and giving it a 20 year retirement.
sorry :-(

JFTDWS

Visit site
Your two options are put down or keep as a field ornament. The latter, assuming he would adapt to that lifestyle and you can afford / are prepared to keep him as such. It's a rubbish situation for you to be in :(

foxy

Visit site
carefreegirl and amyway - thanks I have been thinking about that and have spoken to a few people, some agree some think I am being too harsh. I don't want to pass him on as I would then have no control over what happened to him.
I did think about a blood bank but he is not the best in a group he likes to be the boss and will attack other horses!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Foxy, never canvas opinion from friends on whether to put down, you'll always get a mix of views (ime very rarely based on experience or common sense...).

I've been In your shoes and it is simply dreadful. I live with the guilt of putting my beautiful horse down every day, and did look at rehoming him as a companion, but for him it wasn't the responsible thing to do. So I made my decision and told no one until it was done.

I really do feel for you.

Kelly1982

Visit site
In that case I think I would PTS as harsh as that sounds. I appreciate that is easier said than done though when your looking from an outside point of view.

Spring Feather

Visit site
I very rarely advise PTS on here and I do get fed up of seeing posts where there are multiple options available but the old "PTS bandwagon" starts, however this is one time that I do think you need to think seriously about euthanasia for this horse and it's a decision that I would make if the horse were mine and I knew he would not be happy living in retirement. I'm so sorry but the future looks bleak for your horse with so many DJD problems.

foxy

Visit site
Thank you for the replies. Its is a decision I have been avoiding as although I think I know deep down that the only option is to have my boy PTS, it doesn't make it any easier.

Last edited:

mightymammoth

Visit site
does he seem happy in himself? could he go as a companion? are you in a financial position to keep him as an ornament? I really feel for you you must be devastated

indi4

Visit site
You need to think about the quality of life he'd have retired and if he's in pain. When I was faced with making a decision with my mare who was never going to come sound I talked though all my options with my vet, which helped as he knew my horse very well by that point. I found this helped the most as in being able to make a decision. I choose to have her pts as was unsound so must have been in pain, and just seemed very unhappy. Only you can decide what's best for your horse, everyone will have an opion but you have to fo what is right for you and your horse

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I very rarely advise PTS on here and I do get fed up of seeing posts where there are multiple options available but the old "PTS bandwagon" starts, however this is one time that I do think you need to think seriously about euthanasia for this horse and it's a decision that I would make if the horse were mine and I knew he would not be happy living in retirement. I'm so sorry but the future looks bleak for your horse with so many DJD problems.

I totally agree with this - if you can't make the decision - as in plan it - then do what i did with my old boy. Brought him in from the field one night and he was clearly in pain (age and arthritis had been catching up with badly for a few months). I called the vet there and then and he was PTS that same night. Not overly convenient, but for me, it wasn't something I could plan in advance. It had to be an immediate decision.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do - but if he's in pain and the pain relief isn't working, then there is only you can make that decision. x

showjumpingfilly

Visit site
I don't know how I'd cope in your position but have to agree I think things may only be worse and more uncomfortable for your poor boy and it would probably be kinder to end it for him :(

I feel awful for you.

.Redmerl

Visit site
Sorry for your situation. It's really not nice. If it was my decision, he can't be an ornament or companion. Sadly he will still cost £££ if not ridden then I would PTS. He is so young and could be in retirement livery, which is expensive, for years. I know it's an horrid decision. Good luck