Not sure whether to post this... weekend plans

TheMule

Visit site
I treated myself to the TRT method online course and am working my way through it slowly with my two 3yr olds and my older, spooky mare. Mine have all picked up the basics really well, I would recommend it to anyone looking for new ideas.

I jumped them all in hand today as the going in the fields is perfect

FFE174C4-13B2-45DC-9D2C-B65AAE0A0B4C.jpeg
CB9CFFA1-EE0B-4FFF-80EE-DEC84A92699C.jpeg

TheMule

Visit site
That's great themule, looks like good fun - what other stuff is involved?

I'm early days on it, but it's all about the horse being balanced and in control of its own body so it can then deal with challenging situations. The appeal of this programme for me was it's all focused on building a successful ridden horse for the highest levels of competition.

Northern

Visit site
Well Australia is somewhat moving towards lock down (or not, looking at the supermarkets in my rare dashes in there!).

I have this weekend off work so plan to go out hacking over our hills, it is very unlikely we come across people and the pony needs the work. I am also debating clipping her now she is getting her winter fuzzies in. Miss E the TB will be continuing her in hand work to strengthen her up, not riding her at the moment because she is less predictable than the pony and don't need to be splattered anywhere at this point in time.

Other than that I have a lot of weeding to be done in my paddocks. Nice solitary work in the sun with ponies all around, blissful!
Hope you all have a good weekend, whatever you are doing with the horses :)

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Looks good TM! You've inspired my to do a bit of loose jumping with the pony. I'll have a scavenge and see what interesting things I can find for her to pop over - never found anything scary enough for her to think twice about jumping yet! (Stark contrast to the big idiot who still feels the need to snort at poles on the floor for the first 5 mins, maybe the TRT would help him).

Other than that I will potter about in the school on Arts. Today we went for a walk around the summer field after schooling as it is finally dry enough. Let Arts have a pick of grass to start to get her sensitive stomach used to grass again. Picture to brighten up a sombre weekend plans:
20200326_095131.jpg

Pippity

Visit site
I get to go and see Blue in the field for an hour on Sunday. Hopefully her two somewhat exuberant fieldmates won't cause trouble, but I'm not expecting to be able to spend a peaceful hour chilling with her. (One is an excitable 5yo; the other is a senior citizen who spent ten years on her own before moving onto our yard at the start of winter, and who panics if she thinks she might be left on her own.) I've been getting regular photos of her, but it's not at all the same.

(My yard is pretty much closed, but we're allowed co-ordinated visits to the see our horses in the fields.)

1585262068933.png

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
I had a lesson today since we aren't locking down yet (and our gov seems to be avoiding it :rolleyes: ). It was such a great lesson, we jumped and it really highlighted where I need to do more work. Plus it should really help me with my flatwork so I have plenty of homework for if/when we go into lock down.

Rest of the weekend will be pottering about doing odd jobs and riding however I see fit. Hope everyone is keeping their spirits up. I took the dog into work today and that cheered everyone up immensely, though I don't think my boss appreciated it.

Leo Walker

Visit site
We played chase/football with the hayball yesterday. I don't think it would take me very long to teach her to fetch, but I' just mulling over whether that's a sensible thing to have her doing. Shes very bright and doesnt always use her powers for good!

I think I might loose jump her now I've seen those pics! I spent ages tidying all the jumps up the other day so seems a shame not to use them. Shes currently bouncing out her skin and will have to do some form of decent work this weekend. I'm going to lunge today to take the edge off, and then drive tomorrow. We've got a 12km loop with a huge long uphill stretch. If I can persuade my OH to backstep then I'll take her round that, which should tide her over for a couple of days!

Its proving difficult to keep the weight off with work but not have her very fit, keep her grazing restricted and keep her mind occupied, all while avoiding driving as much as possible. I cant win!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Leo, I'll swap! B Fuzzy if not lightly worked daily tends to sort out her own exercise by bombing about and making the smalls run around. Whilst that's good for the smalls, B Fuzzy is quite trim and can run anything off. Have now given her 3 acres of grassy paddocks at night whilst the smalls are in diet patch overnight!

Wheels

Visit site
My instructor is organising an online dressage league so will be learning a test tomorrow and Sunday and hopefully OH will film it for me... suppose I should ask first since I need his horse to do it ?

Good luck sheep! I might do this although need to let the judge know that my arena is an odd shape!

Leo Walker

Visit site
Leo, I'll swap! B Fuzzy if not lightly worked daily tends to sort out her own exercise by bombing about and making the smalls run around. Whilst that's good for the smalls, B Fuzzy is quite trim and can run anything off. Have now given her 3 acres of grassy paddocks at night whilst the smalls are in diet patch overnight!

Done! I dream about horses that actually need to eat food!

Michen

Visit site
Amber came home today. Am so happy to have her back. I have very mixed feelings about having sent her away. It's not been an unqualified success but perhaps that's for another thread.

Max is on the move too tomorrow. Fingers crossed I can give a positive update later tomorrow!
Ahhh welcome home Amber! Bet you are loving having her back. I thought the schooling had gone super well!?

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Hehe, jumping pony. I told her you were to blame Mule, but she seemed v pleased with herself so no hardship. Excuse the odd perspective - the jump is level both ends and I'm not poking her in the neck with the stick, I'm actually quite a long way away from her, I'm just rubbish at taking photos!
Screenshot_20200327-103615_Gallery.jpg

And one just walking in the sun
Screenshot_20200327-114009_Video Player.jpg

Sprat

Visit site
We are on a rota this weekend for our DIY days, so I'll be up tomorrow morning to muck out and do usual weekend jobs. I'll long rein to keep some of the tummy flab off that seems to have creeped up since the sarcoid surgery.

Actually managed to long rein a couple of canter circles earlier in the week which was a real positive as she hates anything being round her bum and tends to throw a complete wobbler, so I'm hoping with the introduction of canter work I can get her back to reasonable fitness. No riding on the horizon due to the location of sarcoid wound, but it is healing really nicely and I'm hoping to introduce her saddle again in a few weeks.

Still very undecided about the riding / not riding quandary, but plenty of groundwork to improve on for the time being. And I may even introduce some free jumping after seeing above posters!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Ahhh welcome home Amber! Bet you are loving having her back. I thought the schooling had gone super well!?

Depends on your perspective. When ridden by the trainer she looks amazing but he has ridden her with a LOT of pressure which I can't (and don't want to) replicate. He said he can hardly hold her and that I should leave her with a pro and she is not an amateur's horse. But I don't want to! So there we are. My hope that she would come back more rideable has not happened. She is more wired and onward bound than ever. But at least I know it's not my sh1t riding that has meant progress is slow!!

Wheels

Visit site
oh blimey AE - not what you wanted at all! Sorry it didn't work out quite as you had hoped.

What are you thinking you will do now? Or will you start a thread for discussions?