Not very happy

Irishcobs

Visit site
Hattie has been at the vets since Sun night. Vet was supposed to ring me Mon to update me on her fluid problem, he didn't. Nor did he ring on Tues. I went over to ride her tues night, no one was about apart from someone in the office who didn't no what was going on.
I phoned the vet this morning to be told he sent her swab to Newmarket and was expecting the results today (he told us on Sun he would take the swab to Langford personally on the Mon), but didn't have time to talk to me more then.
So I went over there tonight to ride her again and briefly spoke to him as he was looking at another horse.
The fluid contains E Coli, same as before, which is because she poos down herself, he has now only just washed her out.

She really is very unhappy there she can't see any other horses during the day and only a mare and newborn foal at night. She is pooing all down herself something she doesn't do at home and never on hay, this is her way of saying she is stressed, but the more she poos down her self the worse this fluid thing gets. She calls to me when I go out of view and really screamed the place down when I went back for my hat after I tacked her up. She loves her rides and really chills out when we are out but gets really tense when we come back to the yard. She's not a real worrier but you can definitely see she is unhappy. I drove away in tears tonight as I hate seeing her like it.
And the worst thing, no one has told me when she can come home or why she needs to stay there. And the fact if I didn't go over to ride her she would be in a stable 24 hours aday with no exercise.
Dad is going to ring up tomorrow saying I'm not happy and want to bring her home that night as I know if I do it I will start crying again.

I really am thinking whether to forget the whole thing and try again next year with a different vet. As my bosses vet has 24 hour turn out and will do most of it from my home, which I'm sure would suit Hattie better, I just don't like the vet.

MillionDollar

Visit site
Oh hun, i am so sorry, it must be awful
frown.gif

I would be very angry by the way your vet has treated Hattie and you. Did he wash her out after the AI? I would complain and i wouldn't be paying for all of the bills.

Can you not use your bosses vet this year? Theres still plenty of time?!

Hugs to you, hope it turns out ok.

Irishcobs

Visit site
Cheers hun.
Haven't had a chance to ask him, but as I was only charged for one lot of washing out solution I would doubt it.

I probably could use the other vet this year. Will have to talk to her about it. I'm going over there on Fri to drop off mare and foal from work so will talk to her then.

Irishcobs

Visit site
I could but I don't have electricity at my yard so would have to take her to a neighbours for scans and things. Though that probably wouldn't upset Hattie as much as being at the vets. I'm just not sure how good this vet is, not knowing anyone that has used him before.

sallyf

Visit site
Which vets are you using?
Is there not a stud nearby you that would take her in for AI to an outside stallion We often do.
Where are you i will try and think of someone in your area there is bound to be somone that way at least she could go out all the time.

Irishcobs

Visit site
I'm 10 miles south of Bath. The only thing is Hattie can't be turned out with other mares as she is very dominant. But does respect electric fence.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I would bring her home asap. Why on earth is she still there, the normal procedure with an infection is wash out, treat and do another swab to see if the treatment's worked. Why would they want her to stay there?
The bill will be horrendous if they are looking after her too.
Some mares have a sort of tilted conformation that does make them more susceptible to poo getting in, but making the area smaller by a repair often does the trick, you can always get the stitched bit undone before foaling.
I would go and bring her home if I were you..

Irishcobs

Visit site
She's coming home tomorrow night. It's the earliest I can get her. Dad is requesting a meeting tomorrow so we can find out exactly what is going on. If she hasn't had to be there for this long then I am certainly not paying it all.
Stitching her up sounds like a good idea, the mares at work are because they suck air in, they just get cut open before foaling and restitch after.

Gingernags

Visit site
Thats what I was going to suggest, my old mare was caslicked for that reason, she was washed out prior to covering (she was done in hand) and caslicked straight after. I took the stitches out myself then had the vet to snip her back open about 2 weeks before she was due.

It was much easier and meant no constant worry about pulling infection in.

Fingers crossed you get it sorted! (I think a change of vets sound a good idea)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Bring her home. It's a quite rediculous way to be treating you.

Everything that needs to be done to your mare can be done at home, so why the vet's have insisted she is there sounds like a money making exercise to me.

mariond

Visit site
Could you not borrow/hire a generator. We use one when we shear sheep away from the buildings and the machines work well off it. It would save moving/upsetting her