not wanting to lift leg question

BackInBlack

Visit site
if a horse does not want to lift one back leg, not happy with that hoof being picked or with the farrier lifting it, what would that suggest to you. i have felt all along his legs, his back, all around his hoof and don't seem to be hitting any lumps, bumps or sore patches
confused.gif

Rana

Visit site
Could suggest a problem with one of his other feet (most likely the opposite back hoof). Stiffness in that back leg, pain in the opposite back leg. Could be internal - something like arthritis maybe.

Personally, I'd be looking closely at the opposite back hoof/leg.

Or he could just be taking the P as they all do from time to time. How long has it been going on?

cazzr

Visit site
Initial thoughts are possibly back/pelvis issues or bruising in the bum from a kick (of course this particularly jumps to mind considering my mare having just been kicked)?

What did the farrier say about it or does he lift it for the farrier but if a bit unwilling about it (doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a problem).

Need to know what he does i.e. plants it to the floor and ignores all attempts to pick it up? Picks it up and puts it straight back down? Pulls faces? Gets confused and picks the wrong leg up (previous horse had shivers and used to pick up the wrong leg when asked but was noticeably worse on one hind leg than the other).
Any history of injuries in that area. How long it's been going on etc etc..

BackInBlack

Visit site
he has been doing it ever since i have owned him, maybe longer? (about a year) he's had some underlying problem that me and vet cannot get to the bottom of, maybe breathing related (totally different i know?!) but nothing came of all investigations and vet has said to keep an eye on everything he does to see if i can pick up on anything that may be causing him to be lethargic. well this is the only thing that seems to be amis but it could be that he is experiencing pain from a number of places and i don't know where to start really?!
he lets you lift his off hind up and then after about 20 seconds tries to pull it out of your hand again. if you persevere he will stand good again. he is 6 years old. farrier says maybe it's his back but doesn't really know - vets had a quick feel but haven't done any major testing as such. spent so much money on vets fees that we gave investigations a rest for a little while.

Llwyncwn

Visit site
My first thought would be spavin. Has the vet done flexion tests? That would be the first step to confirm lameness, followed by nerve blocks and hock x-rays. Although 6 years old is young, we have a horse on the yard and both his hocks had fused by the age of 6 !

Hope it is something simple. Please let us know how you get on.

kellyeaton

Visit site
i would say maybe artheritis or shivers there could be a lot of things have you tried getting a ostepath out to him to make sure it is not bones ligaments or muscles!

Kalees_mum

Visit site
I would say maybe have a Equine Chiro out.

We got a Tb mare and last October she started not wanting to pick her back feet up, the farrier said he thinks she's in pain we had Chiro out who found she was sore in her back end! Following treatment though 6 weeks after she went backwards in the end we had her checked by a vet where she was slightly unlevel in her pelvis when doing walk ups the vet was putting pressure on her hind quarthers and when she pushed in on the mares hip ( where it joins the pelves ) she bucked out at the vet!

We then had the Chiro back out along side the vet where she was sedated and had treatment since then the problems are slowly going and we can pick her back feet up now without problems, and the biggest step was she had her back feet trimmed last month for the first time since last October!

So I suggest having a chiro out as like are mare it could be something in her back!

cazzr

Visit site
to be honest from what you've described, it could just be he is unbalanced/weak and finds it hard going. I'm assuming he's not in work/fit?
Is he a big boy/breed? They find controlling their bodies so much harder til they have matured, which could be a while yet if he's only 6.. Has he had a growth spurt recently, this can make him a bit stiff/tight in the muscles..

Depending on if it is causing you a big problem I'd suggest thinking about a physio/chiro to rule out discomfort.
If you want to wait, I'd suggest practice practice practice with the picking up feet.. A bit of groundwork moving him around to make sure he is repsonsive to your command. Moving his front and back end etc.
Does he get narky at all?

BackInBlack

Visit site
hi, he is ridden 4 times a week, hacking mainly - bit of schooling, haven't noticed any lameness from back end but sometimes he does seem to shift/slip a hind leg whilst out hacking. i don't like turning him around in a circle, don't ask me why?! perhaps i've sensed he's not comfortable with it - and he does get narky if you push his back end. nothing major but just little things i've picked up on.
he is a thoroughbred.

Tnavas

Visit site
Definately get a chiropractor out to see him. Not wanting to lift a back leg usually stems from some discomfort in the hip/pelvic region.

Have you tried thermographic diagnosis? Really brillient at pinpointing the true area of soreness. Once the area is localised then the vet can get a clearer picture of the problem.

cazzr

Visit site
I second the chiro advice, if for nothing else but peace of mind. You never know it might explain some of the other issues you are having.. If he's lethargic it could be because he's uncomfortable..

Good luck, sorry can't recommend a chiro but ask your vet for one as they would need to give consent anyway.

BackInBlack

Visit site
yes, thank you cazzr - i was wondering that about having to go through my vet. was talking to a friend this morning about perhaps getting a chiro out to us both, but we have different vets so we'll have to see what we can come up with.

cazzr

Visit site
You don't have to go with the chiro they recommend but treatment needs to be approved by the vet before the chiro does anything. So you could still get a shared visit between you, assuming you can agree on which chiro to go with....
smile.gif

cazzr

Visit site
Most chiros will ask if the vet has okayed it tho, think I remember being asked if they could ask the vet themselves...

Only suggested asking vet to recommend a chiro not suggested you HAD to use the one they suggested or 'go through' them.

Often a vet, when asked over the phone will ok it if they don't think there might be something untoward going on.
As the vet has already seen the horse for another problem I can't see it needing a callout or anything.