Nothing too bad, but I've had better mornings.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Late last night I was checking the teeth on all my 3 bitches, and discovered that Blomma have broken a tooth, so I set my alarm to go up early to phone my veterinarian.

Woke up around 1 hour before my alarm went off, because the itchy bites I've gotten the last few days needed some soothing with a hot spoon (thankfully, the water in my thermos was still hot enough to heat up the spoon). But one of the bites was new, and from a tick, which at some time during the night, had found a tasty spot on my leg, and needed to be removed first.

When the alarm did go off, and I got out of bed, one of my cats had eaten grass, and thrown up on the floor, which my not fully opened eyes failed to notice, so I stepped in it. Barefoot, of course.

Then when I called my ordinary veterinarians this morning, they don't have time to remove Blomma's tooth until next Thursday, because some of their veterinarians, and nurses have summer holidays. Called around to several other veterinarians, but due to summer holidays, they also didn't have any times for her tooth to be removed, until later next week.

Several of them said that I could get an earlier time to just come in, and have a veterinarian look at her teeth. But going in only for them to tell me that a big slice have broken off on the outside of her P4 molar, and that it needs to be removed with surgery, seems a bit pointless, when I can see that myself.
They asked, and I have dog painkillers at home which she can have if she seems to need it, and if I notice signs of an infection, I will have to call them.

Aru

Visit site
If its an incidental finding(i.e she's not acting like she's in any discomfort and you just discovered it by chance) there isn't any immediate rush to removed a fractured tooth :)
We always recommend removal so we don't leave a possible source of pain or infection present in the mouth and as fractures can of course worsen over time and allow a tracking infection up into the tooth root.. but it isnt an emergency if the dog is happy and eating well...with both sides of the mouth( dogs tend to be quite subtle when showing dental pain-refusing to use that side of the mouth is a massive warning sign for pain)

I would keep a close eye out for pain/infection just in case...but if the nerve/root isn't involved they generally are not painful unless they become infected because of the removed/broken area.

Is it a canine or carnassial by any chance?

Last edited:

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
Even though I lately haven't been doing it daily, I clean, and check their teeth on a regular basis. They even have their own brush head for my electric tooth brush. She haven't shown any discomfort, so I suppose that you could say that I found it by chance. But I think that it is something which have happened recently, possibly within the last few days. If I haven't missed a small fracture which have worsened.
But it is very comforting that it sounds as if there is a good chance that it will be okay to wait with it until next Thursday.

It is the upper carnassial, the molar which they call P4 in Sweden.

P.s. I'm a bit impatient when it comes to fixing my pets.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
One of mine has a wobbly tooth. I keep checking, he seems ok. I would try to be patient til Thursday, frustrating though that is. Poor dog!

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
One of mine has a wobbly tooth. I keep checking, he seems ok. I would try to be patient til Thursday, frustrating though that is. Poor dog!

Hope the wobbly tooth, stays that way, without getting worse. And I will do my best to wait patiently for Blomma's appointment. But to be honest, when I find a problem with one of my pets, I want it fixed now. Or preferably yesterday. So, basically, I know that my wishes is a bit unrealistic.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
The cat sick is the worst. Hope you get a dentist sorted soon.

]

Last edited: