Nothing ventured !

Muslimah

New User
Visit site
Hi All

Second post reference this as first hasn't yet turned up a suitable match.

So... Long story short - spent my working life based in an office working for a charity.
Was made redundant last month aged 50. My eldest son graduated married and flown the nest, youngest son still in secondary education. I realised I have spent my whole working life in a job that didn't fulfil any of my personal ambitions or dreams although it did help others.

I'm now at a point where I have no idea what to do, I have to work for an income but I truly want to do something that will make me feel happier and fulfilled. I can't believe I'm 50 and have only just realised I should have done this much sooner. But life does speed by!

So being proactive, I can't afford my own horse so I have been searching for a job with horse's, I've emailed yards, driven to yards, (don't know why but i have been photographed leaving one - which made me check I wasn't wearing slippers).

I love horses, not riding necessarily but grooming, sweeping and yard work etc. I spent my youth working for free rides at a local yard.

I can't claim to bring expertise or superb riding skills or any connections to great people but I can bring a love, determination and reliability to a job.

I understand there are thousands of younger experienced and qualified people to take on but if I could ask that I am considered I would be very grateful.

I'm fit, active and healthy, I drive and can also drive larger vehicles. I live in Cheshire, and would love something commutable.

Nothing ventured as they say !

Be kind ?

Warm regards to you all x

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Some thoughts for you to consider :)

How fit are you? Long and many days working with horses takes its toll. Most people (though not all for sure) are looking to get out of it by their late forties. Are you ready and willing to start work at 6am, finish late and work a six day week?

What is on your horsey cv? What's been your area of interest as there's a difference between turning out a showjumper vs. a showing horse.

When you say you can drive larger vehicles do you mean you have your HGV?

Would you consider a Jack(ette) of all Trades role, such as a housekeeper who also looks after a family's horses? If yes then The Lady used to be the go to magazine for those jobs.

Regarding the photographing of you leaving - many yards will do that when a stranger turns up. They'll probably advise the local yards as well. It's just a security thing and nothing personal.

Shay

Visit site
The problem is that there are so many, usually younger, folk looking for exactly the same work and minimum wage for an under 18 is lower than for an over 25. I'm trying to think outside the box for you... The Lady is a good place for the combined housekeeper type role. Are you geographically limited? I wonder about trying for a role in hospitality (if they survive!) at a premises which offers trekking or children's summer camps? Alterntaively what about strating volunteering with a charity - RDA or a horse rescue center? It isn't paid work initially but it would build your CV and could lead to it. Your current charity experience might assist there - depending on what you did. Have you tried looking in H&H? It doesn't help of course that all these areas have been hit hard by CV19 and will probably not be in a position to think about hiring more staff for some time.

What about looking to re-qualify? Might you consider taking qualifications as an equine nutritionist and working for a feed company? Or an equine body worker? Even doing your BHS stages? You could potentially qulaify as an instructor or UKCC coach? The lack of longer or higher level experience is a limiter there but you might be able to find work at a riding school or teaching pony club.

If you have your HGV that is very valuable - what about Equine transport? But if you mean you have a pre '97 licence that is less useful I'm afraid.

Muslimah

New User
Visit site
Good morning

Just a quick reply to say thank you sincerely for taking the time to share ideas. Some great suggestions and thought provoking ideas.

Thank you

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
I think you are maybe not looking broadly enough or using your existing skills you gained in a long and successful career.

Could you look for a role in a feed company? Reskill as a nutritionalist, or do their marketing or manage supply chain/logistics/agents/distribution?

What about reskilling as a vet nurse or equine massage therapist?

If you have worked for a charity, have you considered working for an equine charity or finding a role with BHS? Do you have skills deep in fundraising or sponsorship/grants that could be used in the equine charity industry?

How are your digital marketing skills? Most equestrian bodies really need some help in this area.

Use your existing skills and experience to gain a good role with a regular and predictable income in order to have your own horse/have lessons on quality school horses.

alibali

Visit site
Some excellent replies already.

As someone who worked professionally from their late 20s to mid 30s riding and caring from horses I can tell you it's very physically demanding, often for low pay. Grooming professionally is not like looking after horses as a hobby. You've standards to meet, a short time frame to meet them in, and a long list of other physically demanding jobs to get through afterwards. I was lucky and combining other skills with horse work so getting way above the normal minimum wage but my longest day started at 4.30am and finished at 8.30pm. Not a job I'd contemplate now in my mid 40s and I still carry niggling injuries from that time. I have friends who've physically destroyed themselves working as free lance grooms/riders by their late 40s. Too many falls, too much repetitive labour.

I loved my job, never regretted a minute of it, the aches and pains were a worth while trade off BUT I would never contemplate doing it in my 50s. Horses are now strictly for fun. Work is for providing me with the means to pursue my expensive hobby! I think reading your CV you have many valuable skills which can be put to use in other areas. If you want a horse fix I'd advise you find it in your leisure time, either have lessons, share/loan or volunteer either RDA or stewarding at events, that way you call the shots and if it's not fun then you can just choose not to do it!

Flame_

Visit site
Working with horses is OK but working with and for horse people can be very challenging.

I'm a postie. I'd recommend it as an active, healthy outdoor job and it comes with reasonable wages, has a pension scheme, adheres to general employment laws, etc. All off these points will likely be sketchy to none-existant in the horse industry!

Frumpoon

Visit site
I also think you are underselling the skills you already have. Could you be a yard secretary at a racing yard or racecourse, or an organising role for a competition venue, maybe even work in one of the larger tack shops? Could you stay in your current or similar profession and start sharing a horse or pony or volunteer at one of the rescue centres? I think blue cross and rspca have equine rehoming yards in the far north midlands/ north west...

Muslimah

New User
Visit site
Some excellent replies already.

As someone who worked professionally from their late 20s to mid 30s riding and caring from horses I can tell you it's very physically demanding, often for low pay. Grooming professionally is not like looking after horses as a hobby. You've standards to meet, a short time frame to meet them in, and a long list of other physically demanding jobs to get through afterwards. I was lucky and combining other skills with horse work so getting way above the normal minimum wage but my longest day started at 4.30am and finished at 8.30pm. Not a job I'd contemplate now in my mid 40s and I still carry niggling injuries from that time. I have friends who've physically destroyed themselves working as free lance grooms/riders by their late 40s. Too many falls, too much repetitive labour.

I loved my job, never regretted a minute of it, the aches and pains were a worth while trade off BUT I would never contemplate doing it in my 50s. Horses are now strictly for fun. Work is for providing me with the means to pursue my expensive hobby! I think reading your CV you have many valuable skills which can be put to use in other areas. If you want a horse fix I'd advise you find it in your leisure time, either have lessons, share/loan or volunteer either RDA or stewarding at events, that way you call the shots and if it's not fun then you can just choose not to do it!

Thank.you for your reply and suggestions. Deffinately appreciate your points. I am not looking for a professional yard job, I am seeking a small friendly yard locally. I can't afford a loan share so have to also earn an income. I am just trying to find something that will suit and am not aiming for competitive yards. I am also considering transferable skills I have.

Winters100

Visit site
I don't know the UK job market, but it occurs to me that perhaps freelance grooms make a good living without having such physically demanding work. Could you offer holiday cover, general assistance, maybe coupled with some other services such as house sitting and dog walking? A bit of gardening maybe? From my standpoint I would much rather someone your age rather than a 20-something house sit (no offence to youngsters here, but I did once come home a day early to find an awful lot of bottles and about 15 people sleeping in various rooms!). really good luck and well done on reaching for your dream job!

Frumpoon

Visit site
Apologies as this is a massive assumption but if English is not your first language you can earn some decent money translating for NHS patients through Languageline

Sealine

Visit site
I know someone who was in a similar situation and she set up a simple Facebook page and advertised herself offering general animal care including horses, dogs, chickens etc, dog walking, cleaning, ironing, companion, shopping, basic cooking et al. She now has plenty of regular work and is doing brilliantly. She can’t believe she gets paid to go and sit with a dog for an hour and do a bit of tidying up and ironing or walk a dog and make the elderly owner a bit of lunch and have a chat. I’m not sure how it’s working in the current CV situation but I think there is a demand for honest, reliable, friendly people offering these services.

Equi

Visit site
There really is not money in working with horses. You won't find a 9-5 with the wage to go with it on a small local yard im afraid. What was your last job?

Equi

Visit site
I don't know the UK job market, but it occurs to me that perhaps freelance grooms make a good living without having such physically demanding work. Could you offer holiday cover, general assistance, maybe coupled with some other services such as house sitting and dog walking? A bit of gardening maybe? From my standpoint I would much rather someone your age rather than a 20-something house sit (no offence to youngsters here, but I did once come home a day early to find an awful lot of bottles and about 15 people sleeping in various rooms!). really good luck and well done on reaching for your dream job!
I don't think they do actually. My friend is a freelance groom, qualified massage therapist, qualified (and one of the very very few) thermography people and a quality rider in all aspects and she struggles daily to get work.