Novelty Clips.. love or hate them? Pictures welcome :)

warmbloodcrazy

Visit site
Hi all,

This has probably been posted about before but it being that time of year and all i wondered what people thought of novelty clips.. as in pictures clipped into bottoms etc etc..?? I have seen lots of clipping competitions posted on facebook with some crazy clips posted on there! One looked like a zebra! :/ One idea of clipping 'for sale' on one ponies bottom i thought was quite a clever idea! I'm on the fence about it..

So what do you think? A bit of fun or a big no no?

dianchi

Visit site
As a novelty that's fine, personally im a traditionalist and wouldn't do it to mine.
Im struggling with the thought of not a full clip this winter let alone any designs!

Capriole

Visit site
I think, the ones I've seen (ie zebra, giraffe, tropical scenes, abstract etc.) look bloomin awful at best, like a horrible skin condition at worst in some cases.
I clip to remove hair for practical purposes not to decorate my horse.

But I also think, as long as it's not my horse, I don't care what patterns anyone else clips on theirs.

warmbloodcrazy

Visit site
Yeah i am not keen on the zebra..giraffe looking ones at all.. one i saw had actually been clipped through the mane as well to follow the stripes.. looked so odd. I defo wouldn't do it to mine.. i can see how it would be fun for children though on their ponies.

splashnutti1

Visit site
I think that some of the clips are very clever and whoever does them is very patient, however i prefer a traditional clip so no stars or stripes for my lad hehe!

I used to clip for other people and did some strange patterns, one a pokemon face for a small pony and also a nikey stripe for a lads pony lol ;)

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I think done well some look cool. I have just clipped some stars onto Topaz's bum this year, (mum thought I went ott last year with their initials she won't be leaving me alone to clip again lol). However on Doodle it's traditional full clip all the way as we show and she won't grow her coat out enough by the start of the next showing season. So I go both ways, a few shapes are a bit of fun but a big no no if you show.

Topaz with last years offering:
3e6bf94c-a038-4618-8a5f-925fe0c19b3b_zps6de158f0.jpg

xcderby1_zps2b8ea22e.jpg

x x

Gypley

Visit site
I don't mind them. I enjoy looking at the time patience and skill that's gone into the more intricate ones, but I wouldn't want it on my horses.
As a adult who was deprived of a pony club mother clipping love hearts and stars on my pony, I am shamed to say that last weekend I clipped a heart on my old girls bottom. And for now, I love it ! But I can't promise it's going to last all winter !

warmbloodcrazy

Visit site
Alex, love Topaz's stars! I think thats the general consensus.. admire the patience and fun to look at but not on our own :)

My boy is not the easiest horse to clip so aside from everything i doubt i'd be able to do anything beyond a normal clip...!

Capriole

Visit site
I think thats the general consensus.. admire the patience and fun to look at but not on our own :)

Apart from me :biggrin3: Don't like the look of them and if anything I admire the patience of the horse having to needlessly stand around for ages rather than the person doing the clip :p

Misog2000

Visit site
Fun for the kids & ponies

Not something I'd personally do on my own horses though!

This!!

I also think its a little unfair to make a horse stand for hours while you mess around clipping pretty patterns into it - a little design on the bum is one thing, but the full on zebra must take hours!

Sure some horses don't mind, but in my mind clipping is something to get done as speedily as possible so horse isn't freezing and I spend the least amount of time hairy possible.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Alex, love Topaz's stars! I think thats the general consensus.. admire the patience and fun to look at but not on our own :)

My boy is not the easiest horse to clip so aside from everything i doubt i'd be able to do anything beyond a normal clip...!

Thank you, they are very easy to do all you need is a bit of chalk to get the outline, though it always annoys me that I get clip lines around them as you obviously can't do lovely long sweeping lines...
Definitely not on my own though, Topaz is my mum's :biggrin3::biggrin3:. I think when you don't get to have a pony when you're a kid you make up for it at what ever age you end up with one :).

Apart from me :biggrin3: Don't like the look of them and if anything I admire the patience of the horse having to needlessly stand around for ages rather than the person doing the clip :p

Haha Topaz proved this by trying to knock me off my stool and trying to stand on the extension lead last night whilst I was mid star :biggrin3:, though to be honest it doesn't take me much longer to do them and certainly doesn't take me as long to do as blooming arm-pits take, all that loose skin :mad3:!!!

x x

Pigeon

Visit site
I quite like them. I'm really not a fan of clip lines though, I know they're inevitable if you don't want to take it all off but I have a weird aversion to them.

ponymum

Visit site
Our old pony was one of the first to sport the new stencil type clipping designs. I clipped a superman design on his bottom and, as a whizzy jumping pony, it really suited him. He ended up as a model for the stencil company and i see his photo on ebay used by other people to advertise their stencils - totally without permission - which is a bit annoying. That was about five years ago and my daughter has grown out of that kind of thing now - have to say I'm sort of sad because I used to enjoy doing them.
a91351e4fa27a42a23ef19a3a113f986.jpg

Last edited:

armchair_rider

Visit site
Agree with everyone else really. It is fun, and credit to those who can do a good job of it, but it isn't something i'd do myself. Though I do like those stars on Topaz.

warmbloodcrazy

Visit site
Our old pony was one of the first to sport the new stencil type clipping designs. I clipped a superman design on his bottom and, as a whizzy jumping pony, it really suited him. He ended up as a model for the stencil company and i see his photo on ebay used by other people to advertise their stencils - totally without permission - which is a bit annoying. That was about five years ago and my daughter has grown out of that kind of thing now - have to say I'm sort of sad because I used to enjoy doing them.
a91351e4fa27a42a23ef19a3a113f986.jpg

I have seen this photo before! Now that looked tricky to do!!

Casey76

Visit site
Ok if you're 12...

I wouldn't want any patterns on mine though.

We have some awfully weird "standard" clips over here, a bit like a modified trace clip, but much rounder and pointier.

r0450111

Visit site
Hmm, my boy has a diamond clipped into his left hind quarter as part of his hunter clip. Am pondering a chess board design for next winter. Its abit of fun, but wouldn't do anything too complicated mostly cos its not me who clips him!

Todmiester

Visit site
I'm old fashioned and don't like these novelty clips. I also dislike seeing these awful clips that dogs get which makes them look like different animals.

Shantara

Visit site
I'm pretty sure you guys know what I'm going to say :p

LOVE IT!!!

I really want to do Ned, but since I'm not riding, I don't want to clip just to satisfy my artistic desire.
Oh Ned, be warned for when I get back on you! I want to do something really cool!

(P.s, I adore the zebra one that I saw! Very creative)

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
For me a big no no but then I'm boring! Mine has always sported a blanket clip with not the slightest hint of a star/ heart/ shape etc!

Possibly on a cute child's pony it would be ok but if i ever have kids (unlikely! ) I'm still not sure I could bring myself to do novelty clip! Also as a kid I would have hated it!

Also I would never have the patience it's frustrating enough trying to get straight lines as it is!

An ironic one for mine would be a Welsh Dragon as he's a Welsh D... but terrified of everything and prone to dragon impressions :p

Last edited:

Ladyinred

Visit site
Thank you, they are very easy to do all you need is a bit of chalk to get the outline, though it always annoys me that I get clip lines around them as you obviously can't do lovely long sweeping lines...
Definitely not on my own though, Topaz is my mum's :biggrin3::biggrin3:. I think when you don't get to have a pony when you're a kid you make up for it at what ever age you end up with one :).

x x

You honestly did those stars without a template?? I was going to comment that it really is easy to do as you just buy templates for many of the designs, then I read further down.

WOW for a steady hand and a good eye!

maisie06

Visit site
I think they are rather fun!! Not something I'd do to my own horses, but I do admire the time and skill that goes into them.