Novice 20

Weezy

Visit site
OK, don't laugh, but I am doing this test (I think) a week tomorrow, but before I go ahead and buy it can anyone tell me if there is anything in it other than w/t/c and some demonstration of medium strides as if there is I won't bother!

Thanks!

Jemayni

Visit site
Its the scales of training test and as a consequence is somewhat daunting.

Has 12 & 20m circles.
trot walk and immediately trot.
medium trot
two free walks.
a canter trot canter transition over x.
'simple' change through trot, across the diagonal.
stretch work in trot.

Also the collectives awarded are slightly differently - with 40 marks being given for riders position & influence!

Basically, nothing that you wouldnt do in an average schooling session, but is a bit wierd doing it all in test conditions.

NB I know that was a detailed response, but Im riding it at the weekend so its well on the brain!

Weezy

Visit site
A 12 metre circle? OMG what a laugh, I think my 20 metre are more like 12 metre anyway! How the HELL do you judge a 12 metre?

The other things are fine, I am bound to come last anyway LOL!

Jemayni

Visit site
Ha! Well, Im doing it on an ex-racehorse, so as my instructor rightly pointed out; if I aim for a 10m circle, I will inevitably end up with a 12m circle.... Thats the tactic Im going for anyways....

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
How the HELL do you judge a 12 metre?

[/ QUOTE ]

Aim for 10m, then wimp out
grin.gif

star

Visit site
yup, aim for a 10m circle - they always end up a bit big anyway and which judge can really tell the difference between a slightly large 10m circle and a planned 12m circle! I've done it twice now and come 2nd both times (and we've only done 3 novices) so it's become my fave test
grin.gif

TGM

Visit site
It is a lovely first Novice for someone stepping up from Prelim - it was the first Novice the Sprog ever did and she won it with 70%
cool.gif
. It flows really nicely so I'm sure you'll be fine.

For the 12m circles, remember that the quarter markers are 6m away from the ends of the arena, therefore if you are riding a 12m circle at A, if you draw a line between the quarter markers K and F, where it crosses the centre line is the middle of your 12m circle. The distance from the centre of the circle to A is the radius and you need to aim to keep the same distance away from the centre all the way around!

Easiest way to do it first time is to mark it out in the school first. Find the centre point of your circle and mark it in the sand first, count the number of your strides from the centre to A, then stride out the same distance from the centre of the circle up the centre line away from A, and from the centre towards the quarter markers and mark those points in the sand too. Then you have some reference to ride the circle initially, and soon you will have the feel for the correct size circle without the marks.

PS: It is much easier to do than type out - hope you can understand what I am wittering on about!
blush.gif