Novice 21

rforsyth1984

Visit site
In N21, it asks for (in canter) a half 15m circle right between E and H, returning to the track between E and K.
How should this be ridden, is it like a jug, with the circle finishing parallel to E then riding a line to the track?

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
judges like to see you ride the half circle so that you touch the short end of the arena and then ride a straight line back just about E or just after and then have a few strides of counter canter before trotting again.

Basically make full use of the arena to allow you to effectively make the movement more complicated by incorporating the counter canter.

ihatework

Visit site
I would personally start the half 15m circle just before you reach H, this would mean the top of your half circle would brush the short side approximately 2.5m before C. You would complete the half circle and then ride a straight line back to the track between E and K.

By riding the half circle as near to H as possible this gives you a less acute angle with which to ride back to the track on and is easier for the horse to maintain the few steps of counter canter that follows.

Hope that makes sense and I haven't confused you too much!

DressageChick

Visit site
As A BD judge I echo the above, I judged so many people that start the half circle just after E or B then the angle back to the track is very acute and they can't manage it- cue lots of unbalanced horses!

Aim for just before H or M, the top of the half circle touch short end, ride out to accurately 3/4 line then back to track after B or E and small amount of CC, before BALANCED transition.

Good luck!

rforsyth1984

Visit site
Thats great advice, thanks everyone
smile.gif