Novice 26

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
So, in theory Rhyn and me are having a bash at our first Novice test in a couple of weeks. There's dressage on at the yard so I figured I may as well use it as an opportunity to get the first Novice out of the way (I've been promising myself I would have a go for the last 6 months!).

We're doing P13 and N26 I think. I've heard a bit about N26 (got a copy somewhere) and it sounds bl00dy complicated!
crazy.gif

How does it ride? Rhyn is generally going better now, when mum doesn't ride like a fool, so hopefully we won't disgrace ourselves! Just wanted a bit of advice about this test. The Prelim doesn't bother me as we've done loads of those.

Evadiva1514

Visit site
I did Novice 26 a couple of weeks ago, it actually rides quite nicely, the medium trot comes up very quickly, but apart from that the trot work in the first part of the test is fairly simple. In the halt make sure you are nice and square and that your halt is for 4 seconds. Once you have done your free walk you will be required to do your rein back, make sure you step back evenly and in rhythm and try to keep straight. (my horse struggles to keep straight but we managed it on this particular test!!). In the canter work i made the mistake of doing my 5m loops too shallow, so next time i will make them a bit deeper and the change of rein through trot is fine as it is on a half figure of eight so to speak... Good luck and i hope you both do really well!!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
5m loops in canter as in shallow loops - as a basis for introducing counter canter?

I'd actually forgotten all about the Medium trot, s***! Better get practising I think! I haven't done med trot for ages, we both started to get the hang of it and moved on to other things in lessons.

He does do rein back but snorts an awful lot, usually goes like a giraffe and never straight! Expecting us to get about 40%
shocked.gif
blush.gif

Ah well, at least we should be ok with P13!

Evadiva1514

Visit site
Yes the 5m loops are just shallow loops, i just made a bit of a rider error by not riding them accurately enough but next time i will ride them a bit deeper.

I'm sure you will do fine, just enjoy yourself, and let us know how you get on!!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Will do - prepare to laugh yourselves silly when I tell you about how I forgot how to ride and fell off sideways, how we did rein back like a giraffe and then took off in canter (that's the latest thing we've learnt and now Rhyn wants to do it all the time
smirk.gif
), how we spooked and snorted at the judge's car, and how mum forgot to do Med trot and got a 3 for that movement....
wink.gif

Evadiva1514

Visit site
Don't worry, im sure you will be fine..

When i did my first Novice test a few years back now, it had the full works in it - Medium canter, medium trot, give and retake the reins, it was a nightmare and it was an affiliated show with a bit of unaffiliated thrown in for good measure...
I was so worried, but we got through it ok!!

Now i absolutely love dressage, im affiliated and addicted!!

So go and enjoy yourself and im sure you will get a cracking score!!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I do enjoy dressage, don't get me wrong, just that I haven't competed for ages any the lessons I've had have been geared towards other things, rather than learning new movements etc that I would need in tests.

I think I need to get practising my med trot and canter loops! Jumps are staying up from yard show for a few days and I was going to have a pop over those tomorrow but that may have to wait!

Thanks for the encouragement - believe me, it is helping!
grin.gif
And I am hoping to affiliate him eventually, just have to get around to it
smirk.gif