Novice 27 and medium trot??

PnO

Visit site
We're doing our first novice dressage test next weekend, Novice 27! Any pointers for riding the test, and what the judges are really looking for? And and tips on getting a good medium trot but not letting him get to fast? He's a TB so fast is his middle name!! Thanks x

sye777

Visit site
Lol my youngster can be a bit enthusiastic and just trot faster! I find it best to ride all the working trot in sitting and then go rising for my medium allowing me to contain him more in my hand whilst creating the impulsion for medium trot steps with my leg and seat instead of a very fast trot! Also I would guess that you are only be asked to show some medium trot strides so this way I find sends clear signals to my horse what I am asking for!!
Good luck

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
For a good medium trot, think less is more for now (as at Novice it only needs to be a few good strides). Get nice and straight on to your line (set yourself up) before thinking of your medium trot. As with every dressage test be as accurate as you possibly can, everything that’s on the marker get it spot on, this is the best way to pick up those few extra marks. Oh and don’t rush it, this is my thing, trying to get it over and done. Good luck!
grin.gif

sye777

Visit site
Sorry you also wanted pointers! The only advice I can give is to make sure you ride all the movements! Dont panic if your late or have missed a movement exactly at a certain marker, do it late rather than not at all! Same if you are showing counter canter and horsey does a beautiful flying change! bring him back and correct to the counter canter! Dont give up, I find as a rule judges only mark you lower for a late or corrected movement but a big fat unsatisfactoryor less for no attempt at the movement!

PnO

Visit site
Thanks! JoBo, I have exactly the same problem, me and my horse both like rushing, and I'm very bad at setting up my turns, so I will try and remember to set my turn up, get straight, then push on, as you said I think it only has to show a few good strides. It's across the diagnoal aswell so plenty of room.

Sye777, I know at prelim it says to either be ridden in 'sitting' or 'rising' trot, at novice are you allowed to swap as suggested? Best work on my accuacy aswell!
x

sye777

Visit site
Hiya yes all tests at elementary and below can be in both rising and sitting trot.
Medium up is sitting only.
smile.gif