Novice fence judge alert!!! help!

matthew

Visit site
I am fence judging for the first time on sunday and i just have a few queries!
1- horse resisting rider fo rmore than 60 consec seconds
Can i take that to mean napping???
2-circling-this really baffles me and the diagrams i have been given are crap-they all look the same to me, anyone know of a good printout or something ? or can someone explain it to me in a way i can understand!

Help, Help, Help!!! i am quite nervous and non horsey o/h is even more worried!

H-J

www.piczo.com
Horse resisting for more then 60 secs means napping yes!

And you arent alowed to cross your tracks although you can circle between seperate numbers on a BE XC course. example: if you have a double of corner fences and they are 7 & 8 you are alowed to circle in between them. Is there nothing on BE website or anything like that??

matthew

Visit site
Nothing i can see- thing is though this is just a pony club event so i doubt the rules are the same? not sure though!! i am really looking forward to it and would love to get really experienced and hopefully one day get involved in some biggies like burghley!
Any advise or tales or anything that could go wrong??

H-J

www.piczo.com
Im sure you wont be disapointed if you are that excited!! It will be fun, id say you need to go on an easy fence first so not many people and falling faulting etc.

Just be calm if there is an accident and enjoy it! good luck

ihatework

Visit site
I would imagine the rules for PC and BE circling will be the same.
If you go on the BE website you can download the full rulebook, there will definitely be diagrams in there to explain.

But basically once a horse has been presented at a fence (i.e pointed at it by a rider) then the horse is not allowed to cross its tracks or loose all forward momentum. Therefore any circling done after presentation is counted as a stop (you could cross your tracks a few times without re-presenting and this would only be 1 stop).

This holds for any single fences and for any double/combination marked as parts a & b & c etc.

However if you have a combination where the fences are numbered separately but in very close succession (i.e. fence 10, fence 11 and fence 12) then, provided the rider has not presented the horse at say fence 11, the rider can circle without penalty. This is often see with 2 off-set fences. The quick route is to jump straight through on an angle, if the rider chooses to do this but horse runs out of second part then this is 20 penalties. If however the first part is jumped straigt, then circle, then jump second part this is no penalty.

confused.gif
confused ...

best bet is if you are not sure draw a diagram on the back of your score sheet and let the stewards work it out!

Sparklet

Visit site
If pony club is same as riding club and I suspect it is you will be given a leaflet before you start judging and there are loads of diagrams to help with decisions. The judging bit is really important but the safety aspect is much more so. Make sure you know how to stop the course and get help because if something happens you wont have time to think. Also keep the pesky course walkers and spectators out of the way.

I do jump judging quite a bit and I really enjoy it. Have fun.

vic07

Visit site
whenever i have fence judged, there has been a complete briefing before hand. So any queries you have can be addressed. Normally a new fence judge is given an easy fence, i.e straightforward, one element!

(make sure you take food and drink as i never find that what you get given is enough!)