Novice friend looking for dressage horse

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
It is a while since I was looking for a horse with any kind of decent budget. I was speaking to a friend yesterday and she told me she was looking for a horse to take her through the levels at dressage. People are telling her what she is looking for doesn't exist for her £5k budget. She wants a gelding 15.2 hh - 16.2 hh, safe, nice person, good paces and the potential to be trained to advanced level eventually. Must be 100% sound, no serious medical history that would result in exclusions. Is this realistic? Personally, I told her she would probably have to be looking at horses with potential rather than school masters. But even though she has been riding 20 odd years, she is very novice in terms of dressage training. She has an excellent trainer to work with her.

ihatework

Visit site
Unrealistic unless willing to work outside the box.
She will get either and untried 4yo, a mid teens schoolmaster (which is likely to come with management issues), or take a chance and school something on of less fashinable dressage breeding (eg a nice x-breed that has been used as an allrounder)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Does she mind how old the horse is. 16+ horses already trained usually go for a bit cheaper but not by much.

I think she is wanting a horse with a good 10 - 15 years in him/her. Prefers geldings but I told her not to discount mares! Would be a five star permanent home for the right horse. It would be a pampered pet as well as a riding horse. She's not bothered about jumping ability as she won't be doing any. Will not be doing much hacking but needs to be able to hack out sensibly occasionally. I guess she is asking for quite a lot for the money when I think of it.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Well it's possible I have two horses here than fitted that description and came in one just over that price one just under both are projects both have baggage one would have exclusions because he recovered from a broken leg as a 4yo.
Neither where suitable for a dressage novice though but I knew that when I bought them.
It depends she will have to search very diligently it will have to be a project it defiantly won't be a sound school master there are always good horses to be found at good prices if you have the eye and think outside the box.
That budget is very tight for what she wants.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Unrealistic unless willing to work outside the box.
She will get either and untried 4yo, a mid teens schoolmaster (which is likely to come with management issues), or take a chance and school something on of less fashinable dressage breeding (eg a nice x-breed that has been used as an allrounder)

I think you are right. I was wondering about a thoroughbred. I know someone who got a 6 year old TB gelding with fabulous paces for £4k. He's really powering through the levels now.

guido16

Visit site
I have a 16.2/16.3HH gelding in her price range.

5 years old though. Doing prelim just now, always either 1st or 2nd (even first time moving up!)

About to go affiliated.

Pm if you want more details.

Goldenstar

Visit site
One of mine is a TB if you friend is a TB minded person that's a good route to think of the other is a Dutch harness horse , so both a little outside the box.