Novice help please!

Cornish on the Cob

Visit site
Hi all! We have had a few hairy moments out riding, for example yesterday, riding up a track towards a bridge and a tractor came around the corner and we had to turn around and go back. When things like this happen, Bridie freaks as tractor is coming fast behind and tries to run. Now as a novice happy hacker, the first thing I do when she throws her head and tries to run, is to pull back on the reins and I know it's not the right thing to do, but it's my first reaction. Luckily she never goes anywhere but would should I be doing? Thanks in advance! :)

Littlelegs

Visit site
Sit up deep & tall & remember to breathe. Then ask for a transistion same as you would without the tractor there. When you think you're in a situation she might speed off in, sit up tall before she speeds up & assume she won't do, so you stay as calm & relaxed as normal. Generally if you ignore a horse that you think might be nervous & say 'walk on you tit' or similar & stay calm the horse remains calm too. If you can, try hacking out with someone more experienced on a horse that won't react to stuff. She'll probably copy the other horse & the rider can talk to you so you stay calm, plus remind you if you do tense up. You could have lessons to learn how to balance her & bring her back without pulling, but I think its more to do with remaining relaxed so it doesn't happen in the first place.

Tammytoo

Visit site
Having a neckstrap is a good "safety "belt". Try grabbing that instead of the reins, and then, if you can, turn Bridie into a safe gateway, or onto a wide verge and turn her to face the road so she can watch the tractor going past. Horses pick up our emotions, so try and stay calm.

Could you have some lessons on her and your instructor can help you with tips on how to ride her in these situations.

Good luck!

Cornish on the Cob

Visit site
I do think it doesn't help that I ride out with someone thats horse freaks at anything like that but she is my main riding partner! I try to ride with my other friend as much as possible who's horse is good as gold but can't always! Thanks littlelegs.

Littlelegs

Visit site
If you're with another spooky horse then both of you sing. The more badly you sing the better, if you are both singing 'jingle bells' or something else badly the resulting laughter just stops you tensing up. And it works on your own too. And then your relaxed attitude transfers to the horses.

wildflower

Visit site
my daughters mare hates noisy stuff approaching from behind...she jogs and gets very jumpy.The worst is a noisy banging trailer.If our mare looks like shes gonna be really silly I always wave the vehicle to slow(they usually do anyhow as they can see shes looking a bit freaked out)then we turn and ride past the vehicle then turn again so its now in front of us, lots of pats and reassurance , then she can quite happily watch it ride away from her.Its the approach from behind she hates most, if its coming towards her shes not to bad.We,ve worked on her and shes tons better than she was.:D.........good luck with some de-spooking

TrasaM

Visit site
Sit up deep & tall & remember to breathe. Then ask for a transistion same as you would without the tractor there. When you think you're in a situation she might speed off in, sit up tall before she speeds up & assume she won't do, so you stay as calm & relaxed as normal. Generally if you ignore a horse that you think might be nervous & say 'walk on you tit' or similar & stay calm the horse remains calm too. If you can, try hacking out with someone more experienced on a horse that won't react to stuff. She'll probably copy the other horse & the rider can talk to you so you stay calm, plus remind you if you do tense up. You could have lessons to learn how to balance her & bring her back without pulling, but I think its more to do with remaining relaxed so it doesn't happen in the first place.

Good advice. My friends cob plays her up when she rides him. He's chucked her into the brambles and dragged her through the bushes so she now anticipates that he's going to do it again and she tenses up and I suspect holds him back too much. Hence when he gets spooky about something and wants to flee she tries to stop him with too much rein and it ends up in n argument which she inevitably looses. When I ride him he behaves and when I know that he's likely to get worried ie passing a field with a stallion in, I talk to him and stay very calm and relaxed with a firm but relaxed rein contact. We've been riding about the same time (1 year) but I have weekly lessons whereas she's learnt as she's gone along with some guidance from her friends.
I've been riding a particularly tense horse in lessons and he's taught me a lot. If I tense up he does same and as soon as I relax so does he. So we practice slow deep breathing. Lol yes 'we' as he will also copy my breathing! He's been a wonderful teacher and getting him to relax has taught me to relax. :)