Novice Hunter Class Query - Somerford Show

flyingfeet

Visit site
Ok need to draw your experience here

I usually steer well clear of showing: However thinking of sticking my horse in the Novice Hunter class at Somerford Show

So what's involved?

And:
- Hacking or Black (hunting) Jacket?
- Snaffle or Double (Pelham)?
- Tail plaited or not (with a hogged mane)?
- Will my bright newmarket Pessoa saddle count against us?
- Does the judge ride?

Hornby

Visit site
Hacking jacket, collar and tie, beige or light yellow jods, long black boots. (Strictly speaking spurs too). Brown gloves, cane. Hat to BSI standard, OF COURSE !!Pelham or double, tail pulled or plaited. Judge may or may not ride depending on the level of the show - higher levels they will. Is your saddle a bright colour? (Don't know the Pessoa personally). Will be nicer if straight cut, havana but if your horse is miles better than others you shd still be ok. The website www.theshowring.co.uk is excellent for more info.

pocket

Visit site
Novices can have double's, every horse at Kent county was in a double and every competition I've been to at novice level this year has had doubles/pelhams.

M&M novice classes usually show in snaffles.

Dress, hacking jacket, beige/canary jods, tie/tie pin, black boots/garter strap, ladies blue hat is nicer, brown gloves/cane.

Hunter bridle and brown straight cut saddle, but I have seen dressage saddles used and not frowned upon.

A plaited mane is prefered and not hogged (usually cobs) plaited/pulled tail.

Good luck and enjoy
wink.gif

pocket

Visit site
I was chuffed to bits, it was Ralphs first county show and he came tenth, he's never been in such a huge arena and he gave me a good ride. Need to polish it up a lot, but then there is always next year. Off to Edenbridge next, then we're going to do dressage throught the winter and back to showing for the summer.........

Thats the plan anyway, how did you get on?