Now he's got a big hock!

Vindaloo

Visit site
I am just about ready to lie down and just give up on horses! AAARRRGGGHHHH.

Right, Dougal after his shock wave therapy for High proximal suspensory desmitis (christ knows if i've spelt that right) came back into work. It was slowly, slowly BUT was sound and happy. We got as far as 1 hr work per day to include schooling with short canters.

Have had all tack, teeth, back checked. Brought horrendously expensive magentic boots and basically am broke now. All worth it though since Dougal was so far sound.

Until last week.... His hock has swollen. It's in an odd place, imagine a capped hock but that the swelling goes up the back of the hock too for approx 3 inches. Very little/no heat and no obv lameness. Swelling is quite hard.

Got vet up on Friday to give him an evaluation of the suspensory lameness. Good news in that on the most lame leg he is 100% sound even after a hefty flexion. On the leg with the swollen hock 1x10th lame but did not worsen with flexion test.

Back to Bell tomorrow for MORE investigation. Got to hope that this will NOT be related to the initial lameness since the ins stopped paying at £3000 and we are way over that!!!!!

I am so, so ,so fed up with horses. They break your heart and your finances and the more you care for the damn things the more they break! Any ideas on what the hock prob could be? Vet said it's a swollen bursa which I understand But what on earth could cause it?

My goldfish in the pond are doing very well indeed and are happy, healthy and breeding like rabbits. Why oh why do I have to be into bl**dy horses.

Sorry..... feeling a little bit down and am on day 2 of giving up smoking.

BenjaminBunny

Visit site
I completely understand how you feel

I have been through a suspensory ligament recovery in both hind legs - luckily following box rest and shockwave and bringing back in he's been ok *touch wood* ever since - apart from the odd lameness from other things (nail bind and stone in front hoof)

I can't say anything that will make you feel any better - but just know you aren't the only one that has been through it

BenjaminBunny

Visit site
My ned was signed off from the vet in feb of this year - so far we are walking trotting and cantering - slowly bringing in lateral work.

In a good week I will ride 4/5 times with two hacks out and school 3 times.

I have been told to bring him on like any normal horse - but I have chosen not to jump him for two reasons 1. i'm not that bothered about jumping and 2. I don't want to risk my horse's health and happiness for the sake of a little jump now and then.

I have just taken my time with him and the vets have said it's done him the world of good not putting pressure on

but i suppose yes you can say he's back in full work

Vindaloo

Visit site
Good news at last! The hock was just a bang, no damage at all to anything so just got to wait for swelling to go down. Scans showed a perfectly healthy hock with lovely healthy tendons.

Also re-did all the flexion tests and yep, sound. Am now carrying on with fittening and back on track for our first intro.... fingers crossed.

Best of luck with yours.x

ClaireH78

Visit site
Hi Nat. Its Claire from SG with Toby (well Toby is now sold!)

Glad to hear Dougal is doing much better and is sound. I have always thought he was a great horse and hopefully you can now get on and enjoy him.

Hope your feeling more positive and good luck.

Hugs to you and D.