Now in hospital

Joined
4 November 2013
Messages
36
Hi all, you might have read the thread new horse should I give it all up, well bloody thing put me in hospital Monday night!! Not all her fault after sitting a couple of huge bucks she hade me on the floor, but then trod on me, breaking my low tib and fib in my right leg, there was just no room for her to get out of the way. I'm gutted as we had just had physio out week before and saddle checked on the Saturday and she ride well on the Sunday. But now I face a dilemma, she needs work and lots of it, I am going to be out of action for at least 12 months riding wise. I am based I the midlands not far from tamworth and in all fairness would like to base her with a competitive rider for 12 months or more. Poor tia was quite upset and shaken up after the accident so I have been told great start to my year.
 

Bellaboo18

Active Member
Joined
3 October 2018
Messages
240
Poor you, hope you're on the mend soon.

I think it's a good idea to get her to a professional but do think she also needs a vet workup; the bucking, individual turnout and stress are all screaming ulcers to me. I'm sure you're both in alot of pain.

Sending you best wishes xx
 

Red-1

Well-Known Member
Joined
7 February 2013
Messages
7,503
Location
Yorkshire
I am sorry that you got hurt.

It is true that you now have a problem. I am afraid that at the moment you have 2 options...

1. Turn her away.
2. Send her to a pro for at least evaluation to see what you have.

Number 1 is cheaper, but then you are not sorting anything out and may bring her in to find she is just the same yet you re not as physically capable after a year off.

The reason I say to send her to a pro is that now she has caused a serious injury, if anything else happens it is messy, both for her and for you.

As long as you get on with the pro who sold her to you, I would pick them, or if you know someone else than that is good too.

I would send her for 6 weeks initially, give them free rein to assess, play with saddles, change routine to see the effect, have a vet to assess if she does not act as expected. It would take 6 weeks minimum to give a good assessment and hopefully stabilise her.

If it is just that she needed more work and a different routine then you have more options. You could choose to get her to a few competitions and sell as a competition horse while she is up and at it. I would be honest with the new owners, allow the pro to do the selling so they can say what their experience of the horse is. Expect to take a bit of a hit on price, but if she is out and about and capable that should be minimised. Then when you are ready to be back riding you can start afresh with a different horse.

If she is settled you could equally choose to loan to a competent person for a minimum of 12 months. Again, this would be more attractive if she is out and about competing. The down side is that they *could* have the summer with her competing, then return for the winter. Having said that, it would still be a better place than you are currently as long as it is with the correct person and the horse comes on.

If she is fit and well at the pro yard, you could choose to keep her there. This would be FAB, but expensive.

Equally, you could have her assessed at the pro yard and then turn away, using the pro to get her back into work before you start to ride again in a year. At least you would know that the horse proved basically OK with the pro, but TBH this would not be my preferred option as you may simply find yourself in the same boat in 12 months. Also, it sounds like your current yard would not be at all suitable to turn away for a year, so you would need to find something different.

I don't know how your injury will affect your income. Not having a horse for 12 months would help financially anyways, so that is the way I would go.
Read more at https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/...e-it-all-up.774043/page-2#wrcJgMKjGBb3cilA.99
 

ycbm

Well-Known Member
Joined
30 January 2015
Messages
17,743
I'm sorry to hear about your accident, it sounds like a nasty double break.

I mostly agree with Red, but I would not send her to the pro who sold her to you unless she has been worked up by a vet, including an ulcer scope and spine x rays, first.

The reasoning is that the pro you bought her from knows how to get her to work through pain, if she was in pain when sold, and has a vested interest in proving to you that she did not sell you a horse which is in pain. I'm not suggesting, btw, that she will have known that the horse was in pain. Many mentally/physically strong riders don't.

I would send her to someone who is going to listen to her if she is trying to explain that there is something wrong.
 

Pearlsasinger

Well-Known Member
Joined
20 February 2009
Messages
22,738
Location
W. Yorks
I am sorry to hear that you are in hospital

I would organise comprehensive vet checks before deciding what to do with her for the next 12 months.

Fingers crossed that you both feel better soon
 

Goldenstar

Well-Known Member
Joined
28 March 2011
Messages
30,283
I would get a basic work up from a vet and if that brings up nothing get her back to the pro she came from and get her sold .
Twelve months is a long time to leave a horse costing money and doing nothing it’s probaly more cost effective to part with her and start again .
She is not going to be suitable for you to get started on again .
Falls are an almost inevitable part of horse ownership, I have been there with a totally mashed up lower leg you have all my sympathy.
You will get through it.
Just get rid of the mare as fast as reasonably can .
 

Littlebear

Active Member
Joined
27 November 2017
Messages
136
Oh no, how awful for you - hope you mend quickly. Get her off to a decent pro for a few months, within the first few weeks they will have her sorted or will be able to tell you whether its a physical thing that needs looking at instead x
 

ihatework

Well-Known Member
Joined
7 September 2004
Messages
14,947
How disappointing & painful for you, speedy healing wishes.

Pros and Cons to sending back to who you bought her from or someone else, and without being able to really assess the background then it’s difficult to advise on that.

Before sending anywhere I do think it’s worth a vet check - main candidates are ulcers, KS and hocks. I’d send her to the clinic for a scope and basic work up before anything else.

If something is found then I’d treat and turn away then utilise a local person to help you bring her back to work at the right time.

If nothing is found I would actually be more inclined to approach the person you bought her from for some help. If they are receptive and straight this is your best option IMO, but you might need to go with your gut in that. It may be that they could help sell on the horse for you which is certainly something you shouldn’t dismiss.

A friend and I owned a horse a few years back who was a good genuine horse but a sensitive fella and we knew there was potential for the wheels to fall off in a different home so were careful on who he was sold to. The inevitable happened and the wheels did start falling off - thankfully the girl got in touch and bought him back for a week, he was bouncing off the walls and very unsettled. My friend was able to unpick a few riding and management things and sent them back with a plan which a few years on and the partnership are doing what they bought him for. Genuine pros will want horses they sell on to work, it’s not good for business to be churning out horses to unsuitable homes!
 
Joined
27 December 2010
Messages
145
Location
West Sussex
So sorry to hear that you've been injured.

I would get a vet check up done and assuming all clear then I agree with contacting the people you bought the horse from to sell it on for you if they are able to, or as you say base with a pro rider who can produce the horse further for you.

I personally wouldn't turn away as you have already had problems and turning the horse away after a negative experience won't do anyone any favours.
 
Joined
4 November 2013
Messages
36
Hi all

Thanks for your replies, I'm not doing any further vet checks on her, my mum works for a horse vet and he's been out several times, she had 5 stage veting with x rays which shown nothing up ( I insisted on this after have grace out to sleep last year with with KS and wobblers) and I agree with my vet that she is not likely to have ulcers, she's had just been acting like the young horse she is, and has had intermittent work since I bought her.

Unfortunately I'm.not in a position to look after her, I'm at DIY livery and currently relying on a friend to do her, and with her explosive moments now reappearing as she's not working I need to sort something. And it's really down to my parents as they own her, so she is going back to the lady I bought her off to be sold, she will got there next week but will live out, which I think will be best for her anyway.

I'm already having to cope with my injury which I'm a told could take 12 months to heal before I can ride, and also to to cope without a horse which I have never really done on a long term scale, they have all ways been my life me weekends competing and my sanity, I'm now in a dilemma as to weather I keep my stable on or not, I love where I am, I have a fantastic group of friends which are more than just great support, but it's a long time to pay when I could be putting that money away for the next neddy, although I will plan on ridiing my friends steady neddy for a few months first

I'm just upset everything has gone wrong, she was coming on nicely this was meant to be my year after such a crap year last year, just don't know where to put my self, and I'm still in this bloody hospital the food is rubbish the company is dier and all the walls look the same

Happy Monday everyone
 

ycbm

Well-Known Member
Joined
30 January 2015
Messages
17,743
I'm sorry you are in such a bad way physically and so down mentally.

But your horse is showing exactly the behaviour that many horses with ulcers have, which could have been caused by both a recent move and individual turnout, and she should be checked for them. If your vet says she can't possibly have them, I would change your vet when you get a horse again.

I hope you feel better soon.

..
 
Last edited:

Rowreach

Well-Known Member
Joined
13 May 2007
Messages
8,894
Location
Northern Ireland
Being in hospital is no fun, and I'm sure you're feeling pretty despondent about everything right now. I think sending her back to be sold is a good idea, and I'm sure if they think anything needs investigation after a couple of weeks, then it will be done.

If you're off for a year, you've really no choice but to move her on. Mine went to a new home 5 days after I came off. I knew I was going to be a long time mending (15 months now) so there was no point hanging on to a young horse, unless I spent a lot of money with him being somewhere else.

I also think you would be wasting your money keeping your stable - I know you love it there, but maybe just keep your name at the top of a waiting list so that when you get a new horse and you are fully mended, you will hopefully be able to go back there.

Chin up, it's shite I know, but it will work out and I hope you mend quickly xx
 
Last edited:

Bellaboo18

Active Member
Joined
3 October 2018
Messages
240
She's very likely to have ulcers.

She's 6, her explosive behaviour isn't normal.

Hope you feel better soon, sorry you're having a crappy time.
 

Michen

Well-Known Member
Joined
22 January 2014
Messages
3,124
Hi all

Thanks for your replies, I'm not doing any further vet checks on her, my mum works for a horse vet and he's been out several times, she had 5 stage veting with x rays which shown nothing up ( I insisted on this after have grace out to sleep last year with with KS and wobblers) and I agree with my vet that she is not likely to have ulcers, she's had just been acting like the young horse she is, and has had intermittent work since I bought her.

Unfortunately I'm.not in a position to look after her, I'm at DIY livery and currently relying on a friend to do her, and with her explosive moments now reappearing as she's not working I need to sort something. And it's really down to my parents as they own her, so she is going back to the lady I bought her off to be sold, she will got there next week but will live out, which I think will be best for her anyway.

I'm already having to cope with my injury which I'm a told could take 12 months to heal before I can ride, and also to to cope without a horse which I have never really done on a long term scale, they have all ways been my life me weekends competing and my sanity, I'm now in a dilemma as to weather I keep my stable on or not, I love where I am, I have a fantastic group of friends which are more than just great support, but it's a long time to pay when I could be putting that money away for the next neddy, although I will plan on ridiing my friends steady neddy for a few months first

I'm just upset everything has gone wrong, she was coming on nicely this was meant to be my year after such a crap year last year, just don't know where to put my self, and I'm still in this bloody hospital the food is rubbish the company is dier and all the walls look the same

Happy Monday everyone
I really feel for you. I was in hospital for not very long in December after breaking my ankle out hunting. If that had happened a year or so ago, when my horse was behaving similarly to yours (though he was settled at the yard), I’d have been in a really bad way mentally over it. It was only because it happened on a horse who I now adore and trust and know it was a total accident that I didn’t sit in hospital feeling angry, sad and bitter.

FWIW, your horse sounds not too dissimilar to how mine was but with the exception being that mine was explosive under saddle but never unsettled on the yard itself like yours is. For that reason I do agree that ulcers have got to be worth ruling out, just incase, as it sounds like it could be more than just young horse antics going on.

Equally I can understand you wanting to move the horse on and be done with the whole thing. I very nearly did the same... I’m very glad I didn’t as I now have a horse who is beyond awesome. But, he didn’t break any of my bones during his tricky times, so I cannot fully understand what you are going through.

Good luck whatever you decide, I’m sorry this happened to you it is really rotten luck but life often has a way of working itself out so I am sure that you have some fun horsey times ahead whether it’s with this horse or another. Don’t make any rash decisions for now... you need some time to process what’s happened.
 
Joined
4 November 2013
Messages
36
I've made the right decision, but I also can't afford to keep her now I'm not working let alone any investigations, I highly recommend the coach I bought her off, and would buy off her again it just didn't go as planned this time, she will be well looked after and back in a routine she knows, what's more important is that she now finds the right rider to take her on a d she will find that.

She is a sweet mare with an awful lot of potential
 

Michen

Well-Known Member
Joined
22 January 2014
Messages
3,124
I've made the right decision, but I also can't afford to keep her now I'm not working let alone any investigations, I highly recommend the coach I bought her off, and would buy off her again it just didn't go as planned this time, she will be well looked after and back in a routine she knows, what's more important is that she now finds the right rider to take her on a d she will find that.

She is a sweet mare with an awful lot of potential
That’s fair enough. Hope you heal quick and can put this all behind you ASAP.
 
Joined
4 November 2013
Messages
36
Will be looking for new one next year, but I think I may lay off competing for a while and look for a nice super cob to have fun on
 
Top