Now its flipping fly time!

indie1282

Visit site
Went to see horses this morning- faces covered in flies! Cant believe it's that time of the year already ☹ Have dug out rugs and masks ready...

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Yes had the same here... going to be a bad one unless we get some late snow.... the new reported 80% decline in insects... flies must be exempt?

indie1282

Visit site
No decline in Cornwall! Moving yards next weekend and fields are on top of a hill with a good breeze so hoping that will help.

At least it's not the dreaded horse flies-yet!!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
My poor pony had his sheath covered in blood sucking black flies when I saw him yesterday. Try different things but nothing seems to stop them.

Carrottom

Visit site
My poor pony had his sheath covered in blood sucking black flies when I saw him yesterday. Try different things but nothing seems to stop them.
I find biteback products repel gel (has neem in it so a bit stincky) works if spread around inner thighs, belly and around sheath.

Carrottom

Visit site

ihatework

Visit site

Attachments

• 31A4ADC2-31BA-402D-9A41-6F29A9CF81BF.jpeg
    31A4ADC2-31BA-402D-9A41-6F29A9CF81BF.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 13
  • F2C4E819-F81C-4A6A-8D7A-026C4F7AFF59.jpeg
    F2C4E819-F81C-4A6A-8D7A-026C4F7AFF59.jpeg
    656 KB · Views: 12

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weatherbee...ses+fly+mask&qid=1555759127&s=gateway&sr=8-37

Has anyone tried these please. I am just wondering if the stretchy material would have more chance of staying on a horse who takes off the more structured types of mask.
Thanks.

Charlie Horse (normally very sensible) had a Boett, which had a similar mask but with dangley bits instead of mesh. It was OK... until it wasn't. He managed the get the mask so the non see through bit covered his eyes. Someone saw him and phoned me, he was a pathetic sight rampaging round the field, whinnying his head off, stumbling and with green grass stained knees from having fallen. As soon as I called him he tried to get to me for rescue and tripped again, falling on the floor. My heart bled for him. I took the mask off and never put it back on again, we have all mesh ones here now.

The Rambo Sweet Itch Hoodie has a bit of a head hood, I wonder if you put that over the top of a mesh mask it would stay better? I use the Equlibrium mesh ones and find they stay on quite we.ll

JFTDWS

Visit site
I'm just here to ask if the OP actually intended to title this thread "Flipping" fly time - or was that forum autocorrect?!

Yes, bloody wee buggers are out in force. Grr.

oldie48

Visit site
Yup, loads here, both horses had taken their fly masks off and had flies eating their eyes. Why are they so stupid? I had a horrible experience with the snuggy thing designed to cover the face, it slipped and poor horse was terrified. I had to tak my life in my hands to get it off him. goodness is it really only April ? It feels like mid summer here.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
April 21st and all of them wanting to come inside by 7am this morning. They haven't been out for 3 weeks yet. Back to mucking out again and soaking hay.

A 9am hack needed fly spray and they were all nodding away by 9.30. If this is climate change I don't like it !!

indie1282

Visit site
I'm just here to ask if the OP actually intended to title this thread "Flipping" fly time - or was that forum autocorrect?!

Yes, bloody wee buggers are out in force. Grr.

Ha ha I meant to put flipping. I know the swear rule has relaxed alot but didn't think it would like the F Word!

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
I own cobs with v long manes and forelocks, so they have an inbuilt face mask 😁 The thin skinned forrin one, on the other hand, has got a fly mask on and is covered in spray. Flies were awful this morning. Big, fat, buzzy, lazy ones that dont give a monkeys and just land right on your face 😝 Can't stand this hot weather and can't wait for it to beggar off next week.