Now the horses have to come in

horsesfornow

Visit site
I see from a lot of other postings people are saying we can turnout our horses now the snow is going!!

But for my horses they have to come in, I have clay soil! I wish when I got this place I saw it in the winter.

Does anyone else have clay soil? And what do you do for the winter months?

Britestar

Visit site
I have a trash field they they destroy thru the winter. Its only used Oct thru April. Its then rolled and left thru the summer to regenerate itself.

Funny, as I am viewing a property today, and they tried to put me off, but that precisley the reason I want to see it in the howling gales and hissing rain!

Oldred

Visit site
I have a shelter attached to my arena so they can stay out there at night and be in most of the day - in the usual winter weather, not this cr*p we are having. They've been in apart from on the yard ...... I've also cleared my concrete yard of everything and taped it off so the horses can wander round it eating from haynets. I don't think they care what they are on in winter as long as they are eating.

horsesfornow

Visit site
I have been using my sandschool in the winter but I see that the top sand is getting mud mix in the sand. How much is that going to cost me to get sorted? I better win the Lotto!!!

Lollii

Visit site
We brought our place in the summer - it looked lovely, we moved in November and the whole place turned to mud within about 3 days
confused.gif

We are on clay and it is horrible, we trash two fields in the winter and keep two for the summer turnout, I have also trashed my sand school turning out in there, but I think it will be ok when it all dries up - I hope
crazy.gif

ISHmad

Visit site
We're on clay soil but luckily have quite a lot of land which we rent in relation to the number of horses so can rotate them round a bit. Does get to be a bit of a nightmare by any gateways though. I hate clay!

pottamus

Visit site
I am on clay soil and my lad is always on restricted grazing so his paddock is trashed and sopping most of the winter...but it will recover in the spring/summer so I do not worry too much...they do not mind walking around on soggy ground...it is us humans that mind!
I like a trashed paddock in winter because then the grass takes longer to grow through in the spring...which is great with my laminitic boy!