Nowt so queer as folk

vmac66

Visit site
Was out hacking this evening around 6pm so spooky time
Was nearly home and went past a garden where a man was cutting his hedge, Indie could hear him but not see him so was a bit worried. There was a car coming so I politely asked him if he could stand so she could see him. He did then replied are horses safe, if I jumped up would it bolt. I replied probably not. He carried on saying this as I rode past. Very odd.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I have told this story many times, but here goes again..

I am riding quietly along the lane.
Horse stops, turns into the equine version of a giraffe, and looks skywards.
There is a man working at the top of a telegraph pole.
I call out “Hello”, no response.
I call out “ Say something please”.
He says “ What do you want me to say?”
I say “That’ll do” and horse walks on happily.

Surbie

Visit site
I was leading spooky cobbus in past the row of parked cars at our yard this morning. Out jumps my (supposedly horsey) Mum from one of them, chirping loudly 'oh good, there you are!' Cobbus teleported 6 feet sideways. Cue also much snorting and general harrumphing. And that was just me.

Melody Grey

Visit site
There are some pristinely manicured lawns in my village, a gentleman mowing with an electric mower stopped mowing to talk to me but walked towards me with the flex in his hand so the cable reel dragged along the road, cue fire-breathing welshie who is now terrified of this house, even when no one is there! 🙈

Teajack

Visit site
Batty woman who l already knew slightly because she had buttonholed me several times to chat when l was out riding (l'm not good at escaping). This time she has a pram, thrusts it under pony's nose causing him to back into ditch. "Doesn't it LlKE babies?" she demands in accusing tones.

Brownmare

Visit site
Also, when walkers/ dog walkers try to get out of your way by hiding themselves behind hedges turning themselves into lurking monsters 🤦‍♀️
Ooh that reminds me of a time, years ago when I was riding my newly backed and sharp-as-a-tack TB mare on one of our first solo hacks. We met a group of walkers on a bridleway and they saw us well in advance and stuffed themselves behind a bush supposedly out of our way. One of them was rooting around in his rucksack and just as we got level with them he triumphantly pulls a sodding cagoule out! It took a fair few minutes of snorting and dancing around before I could get her past after that 🤦

Reacher

Visit site
Was out hacking this evening around 6pm so spooky time
Was nearly home and went past a garden where a man was cutting his hedge, Indie could hear him but not see him so was a bit worried. There was a car coming so I politely asked him if he could stand so she could see him. He did then replied are horses safe, if I jumped up would it bolt. I replied probably not. He carried on saying this as I rode past. Very odd.
He may have been suffering from Grumpy Old Man syndrome

SamBean

Visit site
I was once hacking down the road, a big car passed me with kids waving out the windows, I smiled and waved back. The car then pulled over and the driver wound own the window to ask if her kids could take turns on my Horse. Erm no they can't!

This reminds me of earlier this year, I was chatting to a neighbour whilst I was on a hack when a lady wound down her window and asked if she 'could have a sit to see if she would like it'. We politely directed her to nearest riding school a couple of miles away can I carried on my way. Nearly back home and passed another neighbour who was also out hacking and really worried as had been also stopped and accosted by the same woman!

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Also, when walkers/ dog walkers try to get out of your way by hiding themselves behind hedges turning themselves into lurking monsters 🤦‍♀️

You have reminded me of this Melody Grey.

Riding in our local woods we meet many dog walkers and ramblers.
One day we met a family group.
I am riding novice 4 year old 15.2. A friend is riding his dam.
All the family hide behind the large tree trunks.
I call out to ask them not to hide.
Dad steps out and the small child in his back carrier waves it’s arms and screams.
Baby horse had never seen a two headed monster before and decided he would prefer never to see one again.
When order was restored we politely thanked them all and rode on.
What else could I do? He had done as I requested.

Teajack

Visit site
Riding down narrow steep road, car approaches from behind and slows to a crawl to pass, or so I thought, next thing windows wind down and various children lean out to pat whatever bits of horse they can reach as we proceed side by side at 4 mph.

little_critter

Visit site
Our riding in a field and I come across a man and his dog (on lead).
Man mumbles something to me
Me: "sorry I didn't catch that" (as I ride a bit closer so I can hear him)
Man "mumble mumble mumble"
Me: "sorry , still didn't hear you" (ride a bit closer so I can hear him)
Man: a bit louder "can you keep your distance, you'll scare the dog"

Had he not said anything I'd have stayed about 10 meters from him.
The dog looked totally chilled out by the way.

BOWS28

Visit site
I was hacking a clients 5 year old a couple of weeks back. 3rd hack around the longer loop with a lovely companion/babysitter and all was going well. We have to pass a big farm house on the way home. They only moved in a few weeks ago and they have their 8 grandchildren over every weekend. All very non-horsey but nice enough people. As we were about 100m from their drive we can hear the sound of little voices and that was them running up to the main gate. The grandparents following closely behind. The next thing we knew they were straight over to 'pet' the horses. Little baby pony was a star and stayed very calm (phase 1 = TICK!) before i could say anything one of the smallest of the gang of small humans was wrapped round said 5 year old baby pony's leg!!! Our safe companion/babysitter absolutely lost the plot at the sight of a miniature human shaped object hanging off his new best mates leg and spun a lovely 90 degrees and flew back down the road. But baby pony stood like a rock. Eye's on stalks and heart beating through her tiny little chest but she stood like a diamond. I explained that it was dangerous, she was only a baby and horses legs are unpredictable but the grandparents didn't have a clue what the problem was and laughed at how "affectionate" little Matilda was!! :oops:

Lammy

Visit site
I was once hacking down the road, a big car passed me with kids waving out the windows, I smiled and waved back. The car then pulled over and the driver wound own the window to ask if her kids could take turns on my Horse. Erm no they can't!

I was out riding once, stopped for a small boy to stroke ponies nose, the mum came along and quite literally shoved the smaller child she was holding onto my saddle! She didn’t speak English so I very quickly had to grab the kid while she took a picture and then just as quickly as it had happened she took the child and went! Most bizarre thing, I’m glad there was nothing about to spook the Welsh mare at that point in time 😂

Carrottom

Visit site
I stopped to chat with a neighbouring farmer on my way home from a hack. He was standing on the old milk churn stand in his entrance so we were about eye to eye. As we passed pleasantries he picked up a couple of sticks in the manner of tidying, fine until he snapped them making a crack like a gunshot.
Horse leapt in the air and careeed off. Should have seen his face.

LaurenBay

Visit site
I was out riding once, stopped for a small boy to stroke ponies nose, the mum came along and quite literally shoved the smaller child she was holding onto my saddle! She didn’t speak English so I very quickly had to grab the kid while she took a picture and then just as quickly as it had happened she took the child and went! Most bizarre thing, I’m glad there was nothing about to spook the Welsh mare at that point in time 😂

That is so odd! I don't get what goes through peoples minds sometimes.

Annagain

Visit site
We have one dog walker in our area who is terrified of horses. He literally runs away and hides behind a tree if he sees us coming. Luckily the boys are used to him, we normally see him go and his wife stands still so they have a person to focus on. There are lot of horses who ride through our woods though, it must be exhausting for him running away every 5 minutes!

Caol Ila

Visit site
I was riding in the forestry near the yard and came across a group of 11-12-ish year old neighbourhood boys hanging out, being cool. They started shouting things like, "Your horse is sh ** t" as I approached. Cute. I ignored them and walked past. One of them thought it would be really cute to run straight at the back end of the horse, screeching at the top of his lungs. The horse understandably jumped forward a few strides, but let me pull her up. At which point, I spun her around and charged the boys at an energetic trot, shouting, "Do you know how f ** cking dangerous and stupid that is?" I think that had less impact on them than 1200lbs of draft cross moving towards at them at speed. They turned and bolted the other way.

I've seen those kids many times since, and they have been pleasant and respectful.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I was riding in the forestry near the yard and came across a group of 11-12-ish year old neighbourhood boys hanging out, being cool. They started shouting things like, "Your horse is sh ** t" as I approached. Cute. I ignored them and walked past. One of them thought it would be really cute to run straight at the back end of the horse, screeching at the top of his lungs. The horse understandably jumped forward a few strides, but let me pull her up. At which point, I spun her around and charged the boys at an energetic trot, shouting, "Do you know how f ** cking dangerous and stupid that is?" I think that had less impact on them than 1200lbs of draft cross moving towards at them at speed. They turned and bolted the other way.

I've seen those kids many times since, and they have been pleasant and respectful.

I love this, that is great! I would have paid to see their faces.

I bet all of their friends heard about the crazy woman that galloped towards them with her stallion whilst they stood there innocently. :p