NS Verbindend - Thoughts Please?

sjp1

Visit site
And so the bitting saga continues!!!!

Have tried: NS Trans angled baucher - awful, head up as high as possible, back it went after first ride.

Happy Tongue Bomber Bit, C Sleeve. Much clanking around not really happy.

Myler MB04, wasn't at the time riding with much of a contact, but not keen.

Happy Mouth single jointed, opened mouth, used a flash, much tossing of head, throwing head sideways, generally uncomfortable.

Single jointed thin Myler curved eggbut snaffle. Okish, but came behind the contact a lot.

Am currently in Myler MB05 with hooks. Not using rein hooks. Sets off on hack happily enough, couple of hours in chucking head around. Am now riding on more of a contact to get him off his forehand and using bottom.

Have also used Jeffries revolver bit and he hated it.

So ............. after some advice on here am thinking NS Verbindend - apparantly the lozenge is set differently?

He is an appy with enormous tongue, low palate and thick lips.

He either comes above the contact and sets his neck or comes behind it if the bit is too much (ie. single joint)

I want to be able to show him 'this is the correct place for your head with your back end working' and leave him to it, however, it isn't proving to be easy. The MB05 is clearly for a better schooled horse than him, but I don't want anything that uses too much tongue pressure because he hates it.

Thoughts ............?

sykokat

Visit site
I am interested by this as have similar issues with T who is also Appy x and has a podgy tongue too. Will look forward to comments made. Bits of this kind are so blinking expensive and I have been trying to find a 5.75 inch verbindend but it would seem they are as common as rocking horse poop!:D

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
The lozenge is set narrow side against the tongue and so for a horse that appears to dislike tongue pressure, I would say it is the last thing you need. I would recommend the NS Demi Anky with a 14 mm mouth piece. You can get them from White Rose Equestrian as usually out of stock everywhere else. Never found a horse that dislikes this bit, but the thinner mouthpiece (14mm) is best for horses that toss their heads a lot or mess around with their tongues. However, after 2 hours of hacking with a contact, I would expect most horses to start to get uncomfortable.

Copperpot

Visit site
I have 2 of these. One the plain loose ring for schooling and the other in the universal style for hunting etc. my boy has a big tongue and tries to get it over the bit. He seems a lot happier in these, hence why I spent £70 on the second one. Was in a normal NS before and def goes better in this one :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have recently swopped my horse to one of these on the advice of my trainer he was in the NS eggbutt .he goes better on the verbindend he has a tooth problem not issues with his tongue. I aggree with the post above I would ring Heather and see what she suggests.

MissSBird

Visit site
I would ring Heather too!

I had one for my fell pony who used to lean into the contact something awful, and it was a lifesaver. But, I know someone who's horse hated the bit.

Heather really knows her stuff. Off of two phone calls she's recommended two different NS bits to me, both were perfect for my two ponies.

Visit site
My Appy x goes nicely in a simple loose ring french link snaffle but I wouldn't say his tongue was particularly big. However, we have had this problem with our ISH!! He has a very big tongue - in fact our dentist said it was the biggest he had ever seen! :shocked: We had the problem of him coming behind the contact and being reluctant to move forward into the contact because he didn't like the tongue pressure. After trying many bits we have settled with the NS Universal Gag which gives us the brakes we need when necessary (as he can strong) but the mouth piece is very kind and shaped to give him the room he needs for his tongue. He has been wearing this bit for about 4-5 months now and I must say the change in him has been amazing. He now moves forward into a contact and readily accepts the bit. He also used to turn away from the bridle when tacking up but since we have been using this bit, interestingly he doesn't do this anymore which I think is a sign that he is now more comfortable in his mouth. The only problem with the NS Universal is that it isn't Dressage Legal so I am thinking of getting him an NS Verbindend for Dressage. So sounds like it might be worth a try - good luck! :)

sjp1

Visit site
Have left a message for Heather, so hopefully she will be able to help.

Just to say, when I say a contact, I don't mean working particularly hard, just that I haven't got washing line reins!

sjp1

Visit site
Have just come off phone to her - she has recommended to trial the Verbindend Universal and the warm blood pelham, so as soon as I am paid, I will hire I think - eek.

ThePony

Visit site
The lozenge is set narrow side against the tongue and so for a horse that appears to dislike tongue pressure, I would say it is the last thing you need. I would recommend the NS Demi Anky with a 14 mm mouth piece. You can get them from White Rose Equestrian as usually out of stock everywhere else. Never found a horse that dislikes this bit, but the thinner mouthpiece (14mm) is best for horses that toss their heads a lot or mess around with their tongues. However, after 2 hours of hacking with a contact, I would expect most horses to start to get uncomfortable.

Actually, the verbindend has the broad side set against the tongue and the shape gives good tongue relief. Excellent choice for those with large or sensitive tongues. Only thing my mare is a happy camper in!

sjp1

Visit site
Well, have just ordered on trial the Verbindend. I thought try and keep things as simple as possible, so have ordered the thinnest mouthpiece on a loose ring. That way we don't have to take things like poll pressure into consideration, just the mouthpiece.

If (and am fingers crossed he does) he likes that mouthpiece, I thought I could then trial the Universal which would give better options for exciting things, and have the loose ring for dressage (well, thats if we are ever good enough to even enter, but must think positively!

Will keep you posted, thanks for help